Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 11-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
When Upgrading to a Turbo

When upgrading to a Turbo, will I have to lose my MRT V1 axle back exhaust? I know I will lose my Vararam Intake and trade up or sell my RX Catch Can.

Maybe I should of done body first... Oh well purchasing the VXMAX Throttle body will not go away.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It's really going to depend on how you do your turbo piping. Are you going to be going with a specific package or are you getting the piping done at a local shop (custom)?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI HLK View Post
When upgrading to a Turbo, will I have to lose my MRT V1 axle back exhaust? I know I will lose my Vararam Intake and trade up or sell my RX Catch Can.

Maybe I should of done body first... Oh well purchasing the VXMAX Throttle body will not go away.
Only if you do the STS kit, which is rear mounted....
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #4
YOUNGnRECKLESS
Building the Beast

Drives: 2010 VR LS3
the STS is rear mounted, that would change up your exhaust, otherwise some other turbos or custom piping shouldn't replace the axleback...?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
Pt_killa

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro V6
you will be able to keep your mrt's with the RX performance twin turbo kit since their kit only replaces the catalytic converter portion and retains the stock catback and connection points.
(Sold Sept 2015) Stock 18" Heritage w/ BFG G-Force ZR tires / Blacked out bowties and tail lights / DIY Remote-Mount Turbo Kit (Precision 6776S .81ar ex. @ 6.5psi, Tial 38mm WG, Greddy Type-S BOV) / RX Catch Can / RX-FTI 3600 Stall / Blue Well Lights / Team LLT
Pt_killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:43 PM   #6
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
It's really going to depend on how you do your turbo piping. Are you going to be going with a specific package or are you getting the piping done at a local shop (custom)?
Thinking about the STS product seems its in the lead so far. I was lucky enough to ride in Camaro 21's car. What a ride that was As far as local shops I will look as close as I can to find a good one. Truth be told, Florida is a long ways away for me. Though it is the closest choice so far. When its time I will be taking a drive.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI HLK View Post
Thinking about the STS product seems its in the lead so far. I was lucky enough to ride in Camaro 21's car. What a ride that was As far as local shops I will look as close as I can to find a good one. Truth be told, Florida is a long ways away for me. Though it is the closest choice so far. When its time I will be taking a drive.
The STS will be a pretty good selection for your car since you have the auto.... And yes, I imagine you'll lose the axle back when you change out... It doesnt matter though... you can save the tips... any decent local muffler shop or performance shop can weld the tips on to retain the looks...

The sound will be drastically different just due to the turbos...

Remember that turbo's are the greatest mufflers ever made... they slice and dice the sounds waves into a million lil pieces...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:25 AM   #8
SIXJAK

Drives: MO's only SC'd LLT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
The STS will be a pretty good selection for your car since you have the auto.... And yes, I imagine you'll lose the axle back when you change out... It doesnt matter though... you can save the tips... any decent local muffler shop or performance shop can weld the tips on to retain the looks...

The sound will be drastically different just due to the turbos...

Remember that turbo's are the greatest mufflers ever made... they slice and dice the sounds waves into a million lil pieces...

True dis ^^^^ Das why me waiting for SC option.
IPF supercharger kit, IPF tune, SW LT's, R. Tech HFC's, ARK DT-S catback, SS Brembo brake upgrade, BC Racing adjustable coilovers, Hurst STS, Pfadt rear arm package, Pfadt adjustable sways & end links, Pfadt diff bushings, BMR rear cradle full kit blk bezels,SS diffuser, Innovate gauges.
SIXJAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:45 AM   #9
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
lol one of the reasons ill be going with the RX kit if i go turbo for sure is because ill be able to keep the SOLOs.
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
Can't_C_Me
Don't Sleep on My V6

Drives: 2016 C7 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
lol one of the reasons ill be going with the RX kit if i go turbo for sure is because ill be able to keep the SOLOs.
So you own a SOLO set up now huh ?! Wonder if you got it from where I think
Old 11-23-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
TJ91

Lol I had solos on mine since April 2010
My car is far from stock haha
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
Old 11-25-2011, 11:28 PM   #12
Jaime068
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS RJT
AW man :/ so I guess I should stop with my performance for now lol....I guess by the sound of it, my mrts are temporary until I go turbo....The sound of the turbo is way beyond that of an aftermarket exhaust for these v6s. Love it!
Old 11-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
TJ91

think BOV
Im going to bring my car in and have them check for stretched timing chains and stuff before I end up going into the major mods
Old 11-26-2011, 08:32 PM   #14
blackTT600

Drives: 2011 2LT M6 SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
think BOV
Im going to bring my car in and have them check for stretched timing chains and stuff before I end up going into the major mods
Yeah my plans exactly. At 19000 miles now. Prob 4-5 more months till I go turbo. So defiantly going to make sure that LLT I love so much is in the best condition possible befor I give it any real power additives.
blackTT600 is offline   Reply With Quote