Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #1
JustinTXranger

Drives: 2010 Black LS3
back pressure

ok so all i ever hear nowadays when i talk about upgrading my exhaust is that its gonna mess with my back pressure. ive already done a muffler delete but i also put in a CAI and so far so good. im thinking my next project is gonna be a set of headers and an x-pipe (nonresonated because i like the drone) but i dont really know wat to do about the cats? im not really worried about emissions or anything because i live in texas and i know people who can inspect my car for me. but i am worried about wat it will do to the back pressure if i take them out along with adding headers and the xpipe. can a tuner eliminate this problem? and correct me if im wrong but doesnt the ls3 has 2 cats on each side? could i just remove 1 set of cats and still keep a little backpressure? haha i know its a lot of questions so just whatever u know will help
JustinTXranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
SK360
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
You want the freest flowing exhaust possible, wanting backpressure is a myth.

http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Except when using a supercharger, you'll need to increase boost or change the pully size when using a freeer flowing exhaust, as I understand it.
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
JustinTXranger

but ive heard of people removing certain parts of their exhaust and losing substantial amounts of power?
Old 07-19-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
jagssrsbeast

Drives: inferno orange ssrs
back pressure is a myth
jagssrsbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
SK360
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Except when using a supercharger, you'll need to increase boost or change the pully size when using a freeer flowing exhaust, as I understand it.
"Boost PSI" is a measure of restriction. When you open up the exhaust you will see lower PSI but the engine is still ingesting the same amount of air.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #7
JustinTXranger

so headers, no cats, xpipe, and no mufflers will go pretty good with this car?
Old 07-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #8
SK360
Account Suspended

I run Longtubes, no cats, X Pipe and straight through Magnaflow mufflers, and my car is def not lacking power
Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
JustinTXranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
I run Longtubes, no cats, X Pipe and straight through Magnaflow mufflers, and my car is def not lacking power
haha well i definitely like hearing that
Old 07-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
Skoulikimou

Drives: Camaro SS LS3 2010
Quote:
this in my future planned mode plus the CAI
Skoulikimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:28 PM   #11
JustinTXranger

Quote:
about how much power do u think an exhaust similar to that would add to the camaro when its coupled with a cai but no tune??
Old 07-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #12
SK360
Account Suspended

Maybe 20-30rwhp? Not sure...
Old 07-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #13
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
As was stated earlier. Your boost goes down because your exhaust is less restrictive. The SC is still churning the same RPM, thus pushing the same amount of air or a little more since it's now more efficient. This means you should be making the same or more HP. Boost pressure doesn't equal HP. People up their pulleys to keep the boost pressure up but also get a bit more HP from doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinTXranger View Post
about how much power do u think an exhaust similar to that would add to the camaro when its coupled with a cai but no tune??
A catback yeilds relatively nothing in terms of HP. You may gain a few HP from the Xpipe but that's about the only place to make HP over the stock exhaust. In OEM form, it's 2.5in pressbent, but very few bends and no hard bends. The mufflers are straight through design so there's no restriction there either. If you want a more aggressive sound, get a catback or axleback. If you want power, get LT's with no cats or highflow cats, or keep the stock manifolds and get high flow cats or delete them. It's been shown by a trusted vendor here that there was no difference in HP gains from high flow cats vs no cats.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #14
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
As was stated earlier. Your boost goes down because your exhaust is less restrictive. The SC is still churning the same RPM, thus pushing the same amount of air or a little more since it's now more efficient. This means you should be making the same or more HP. Boost pressure doesn't equal HP. People up their pulleys to keep the boost pressure up but also get a bit more HP from doing that.

A catback yeilds relatively nothing in terms of HP. You may gain a few HP from the Xpipe but that's about the only place to make HP over the stock exhaust. In OEM form, it's 2.5in pressbent, but very few bends and no hard bends. The mufflers are straight through design so there's no restriction there either. If you want a more aggressive sound, get a catback or axleback. If you want power, get LT's with no cats or highflow cats, or keep the stock manifolds and get high flow cats or delete them. It's been shown by a trusted vendor here that there was no difference in HP gains from high flow cats vs no cats.
Thanks for the supercharger clarification!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
backpressure, exhaust, headers, tuner, x-pipe