Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #113
HeavyIOM

Drives: 2010 SS, 2000 Pontiac Formula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Oak View Post
I answered this very argument in another thread. The current 1LE beats the new Mustang GT Premium with track pack performance wise. The new 6th Gen SS is supposed to be even better than the current 1LE. By a lot. Plus all the added upgrades and expanded standard features. They just don't have an extra package like a track pack be sure frankly, at this point, they don't need it. I'm waiting anxiously to see the performance reports and videos.

So price point wise, they're really not far off.

Here's a video comparing the current 1LE and the new Mustang GT with performance pack
http://youtu.be/rTJPDurLEKw
Performance is not the only thing that sells cars, just look at the 4th gens. They outperformed the Mustangs in every way but didn't sell worth a dang. Sure for the very few enthusiast it's a factor, but 85% of sales are to people who don't care about performance. They want a nice looking sporty car for cheap. The Camaro is almost priced out of the average joes price range. When base V8 is knocking on 40K it's to expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOBBS View Post
Equally equipped the Mustang and Camaro will be similar in price. Sure, the Mustang has a lower base price but honestly they're stripped down models. It's a marketing gimmick because very few actually leave the assembly line in that level of trim. Unless, you're planning on ordering good luck finding a stripper model on a lot.

The base Mustang GT comes pretty well equipped. Standard Backup camera, sync, track apps, hids to name a few. Far from stripped. A base GT with track pack, and recaros comes in at the same price as the 1ss base price. Sure the SS may outperform the GT, but like I said above performance really only sells to a small group over all.
HeavyIOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:50 AM   #114
Joseph1LE

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE, 2001 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyIOM View Post
Performance is not the only thing that sells cars, just look at the 4th gens. They outperformed the Mustangs in every way but didn't sell worth a dang. Sure for the very few enthusiast it's a factor, but 85% of sales are to people who don't care about performance. They want a nice looking sporty car for cheap. The Camaro is almost priced out of the average joes price range. When base V8 is knocking on 40K it's to expensive.

The base Mustang GT comes pretty well equipped. Standard Backup camera, sync, track apps, hids to name a few. Far from stripped. A base GT with track pack, and recaros comes in at the same price as the 1ss base price. Sure the SS may outperform the GT, but like I said above performance really only sells to a small group over all.
This guy gets it. Great point about the 4th gens as well. The gen 6 is too expensive.

2015 Camaro SS 1LE- sold
2001 Camaro SS SOM M6- sold
1999 Firebird Formula A4- sold
Joseph1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:00 AM   #115
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #116
Smkn600CTD

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS and 2014 SS Sedan
Was thinking about...but not at those prices!
2014 SS Sedan #2577/3537
2013 Camaro 2SS/RS.
2013 Camro ZL1 Vert
2009 Dodge Daytona Charger #332/400
Smkn600CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:29 PM   #117
Red2014SS

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyIOM View Post

I agree. The vast majority of Camaros sold will never see any track time. Lap times don't matter one iota to the average Joe walking into a dealership. He's going to check out three things - The overall looks of the car, the interior and options included, and the monthly payment. If the car fails in any of the three categories, case closed. He's gonna walk.

I really, really wish that GM would've been a little bolder on the exterior design. It's a beautiful car, but like others have said, it looks too much like a 5th Gen.

For us 5th Gen owners, this should all be great news. Our resale value should hold well. The average guy won't see a huge difference between the cars, and the high prices of the new V8 will have many people checking out the used car lot.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #118
Pace
Lifestyle = Deathstyle

Drives: 11 SIM 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to Pace
Too expensive for me. Still happy I am able to keep my 2011 2SS.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:27 AM   #119
Glushenij

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Nope just got mine and I like 5th look(outside) better then 6th!
Glushenij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:44 AM   #120
jasonsk287

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT
I really like the looks of the 6th gen- most especially the interior (I think the interior looks amazing compared to our 5th gens). However, don't see myself upgrading soon- still have a couple years left on my loan anyway, and I know the car will be difficult to get at a decent price for the first year or so anyway (dealer markups, MSRP, scarcity, etc). I would probably upgrade to the 6th gen in the future (maybe a few years down the road), but for now I really love my 5th gen (it was built exactly how I wanted it) and don't mind driving it for a while longer.

I actually like that the 6th gen looks similar to the 5th- I was afraid that they'd stray too much away from the 5th gen design I love. This all being said, I'm awaiting the configurator on Chevy's website so I can build one for fun and compare costs to something generally similar to what I have now. If it's going to be a huge jump for similar equipment, it's not worth it. But if it's marginally more expensive (all cars jump a bit from year to year anyway) then I would consider it when I'm in the market again.
jasonsk287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:43 PM   #121
jsnobles

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pace View Post
Too expensive for me. Still happy I am able to keep my 2011 2SS.

Yep....same here. I won't be getting rid of mine anytime soon.
CAI Cold Air Induction
Flowmaster Outlaw Catback
jsnobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:49 PM   #122
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
I was until I saw the price for a base 1SS. I will have to sell my SS and then buy!
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 02:00 PM   #123
Chevy Runs Deep

Drives: 2015 BLK 1SS LS3 M6 NPP
Cool

Love the 6th gen looks but the difference isn't so drastic as to get rid of a 5th gen for one. My buddy has a 15 stingray and the lt1 is impressive tho. I actually use the back seat and would hate to lose even more legroom lol. I think any v8 camaro is an instant classic. Trying to convince another buddy to keep his 12 5.0 gt instead of trading on a 15. Only 2 years of payments left I'd be keeping that plus it looks better imo. Didn't buy the camaro too keep up with the joneses. She's staying!
Chevy Runs Deep is offline   Reply With Quote