Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-12-2018, 07:05 PM   #29
sixty9fordkiller
Donkey Dick Cam Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Ive had almost as many exhaust combos as Gunmetal Speedster ....and thats saying something😀. I started with muffler delete..then x pipe...resonated x pipe. Then Flow master super 10. Now ive settled on my Corsa xtreme catback....looking back an listening to some old vids I should have bought a quailty catback in the beginning. The muffler delete sounded good at the time but now sounds unrefined to me. Imo I like the Borla S ..nice deep tone that honestly sounds good. Or Stainless Works retro chamber has the same deep tone that also sounds good. Do it right the first time....of course this is just my opinion.
x2

Im on that same boat with Gunmetal Speedster and you. Ive tried various different setups (one this past weekend as a matter of fact)

Best advice i give now is:

Go to the track or camaro meet, or whatever is easier where you can hear a bunch of different cars at the same time and speak to the owners about the setups you like

Other wise do like some of us did an do trial and error (which i dont recommend)

Bone Stock
sixty9fordkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:11 PM   #30
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
I had to cut my mufflers off after being rear ended. The car sounds great. It is slightly audible but still VERY quiet. I was shocked. The car only drones when being lugged around in too high of a gear (skip shift for example). It is nearly silent in the car when cruising at 70 on the freeway. I wouldn't do anything other than glasspacks on something this quiet.

The only way to make these cars loud with an axle back is if the exhaust resonates and sounds like crap like a flowbastard.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #31
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty9fordkiller View Post
x2

Im on that same boat with Gunmetal Speedster and you. Ive tried various different setups (one this past weekend as a matter of fact)

Best advice i give now is:

Go to the track or camaro meet, or whatever is easier where you can hear a bunch of different cars at the same time and speak to the owners about the setups you like

Other wise do like some of us did an do trial and error (which i dont recommend)
This is true..i auctually heard a 2011 l99 Camaro with 1 7/8 Longtube headers with cats and the Corsa Xtreme catback at idle and wot .....i loved it. So once i decided to quit the trial and error routine I bought my Corsa catback last fall and have a set of 1 7/ 8 Stainless Power catted longtube headers sitting at my tuners shop ready to go in once the weather warms up.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #32
buldog13

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Does anyone know of an exhaust system similar to the type s only slightly louder, I watched some good videos of the type s until they showed an in cab video. When he steps on it in cab you can hardly even hear it in the video. I love the tone of it though
buldog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #33
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by buldog13 View Post
Does anyone know of an exhaust system similar to the type s only slightly louder, I watched some good videos of the type s until they showed an in cab video. When he steps on it in cab you can hardly even hear it in the video. I love the tone of it though
A good catback is quiet in the cabin and loud out back. You would be suprised how loud the type s is outside the car.

Last edited by rontammy0; 03-13-2018 at 12:38 PM.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #34
Tech@Flowmaster

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by buldog13 View Post

Our American Thunder Axle-back system will provide an aggressive exterior tone and be fairly noticeable within the cabin. Click on the following link to hear a short sound clip of our Axle-back system on a vehicle similar to yours.
Tech@Flowmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #35
wildchevy

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 2SS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@Flowmaster View Post
Our American Thunder Axle-back system will provide an aggressive exterior tone and be fairly noticeable within the cabin. Click on the following link to hear a short sound clip of our Axle-back system on a vehicle similar to yours.
have one for a 2014 SS?

2018 HBM 2SS CONVERTIBLE A8
wildchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #36
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS
Corsa sounds the best...

Stock except catback.

Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Polished PAC .660's & Ti-retainers
TSP VVT 3.2 cam kit w/DoD Delete
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
AEM X-Series OBDII Widebands
FIC ID1300x Injectors
GM ZL1 High Output Fuel Pump
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
DSX Auxiliary Fuel System
Tim King Stage 4 Max Effort CTSV 6L90
DSS 1 piece aluminum driveshaft
JRE 6L80E / 6L90E Dipstick
NGK Iridium IX spark plugs #7 heat range
Mighty Mouse Camaro 5 Wild w/-12an and Billet Black
HP Tuners VCM Suite

Last edited by John_C; 03-26-2018 at 08:23 AM.
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:28 AM   #37
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Changed over to full Kooks LT's and true 3in exhaust.

Will get better video later..

Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
FIC ID1300x Injectors
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
HP Tuners VCM Suite
Old 03-27-2018, 10:58 AM   #38
FlowmasterMufflers

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchevy View Post
have one for a 2014 SS?
You will want to take a look at Flowmaster part # 817700, American Thunder Axle-back for 2014-2015 Camaro SS. Please feel free to contact us at 707-544-4761 about this system or any other exhaust questions that you may have.
FlowmasterMufflers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 11:19 PM   #39
TWOFORTYZ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech@Flowmaster View Post
Flowbastards drone like no other from my experience. They seem to have been engineered to resonate an obnoxious low tone. They all sound horrible. Fun fact, I bought a car with a new flowmaster muffler on it. It averaged 18 mpg on 3 tanks. Mind you that was my third 240SX and the other two got 24 MPG in the same conditions. The car droned and sounded like crap, very very loud at partial throttle, much worse than a glasspack. I cut the muffler off, destroyed it to ensure no one would ever have to hear it again, and put on a glasspack. Back to 24MPG for the remainder of the time I owned the vehicle.. Flowmaster sucks.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #40
John_C
LSx FTW!!!

Go to comments. Says he has Flowmaster Super 10's. He later swapped to Corsa.

I used to run Flowmaster on my Mustang GT but they just don't sound as good on these 5th gen LS3 cars.
Kooks Jet Hot Headers
Kooks Full 3in exhaust
Trick Flow GenX 255's
Smith Bro's Trunnion kit
FIC ID1300x Injectors
DSX Tuning Flex Sensor
HP Tuners VCM Suite
Old 03-30-2018, 02:22 PM   #41
Powered1le

Drives: 2014 2ss 1le
I think the borla atak sounds great. I deleted my mufflers with the x-pipe and it sounds good.
2014 camaro 2ss/rs 1le [muffler & resonator delete, x-pipe , roto fab cai, 305 35 r20 rear tire 285 35 r20 front goodyear f1 supercar,1 7/8" tsp long tube headers with high flow cats, tsp Prc heads, K1 rods, Wisco pistons, 522whp 495tq, dynojet, btr stage3 cam kit, arp head studs and arp bolts.
Powered1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:28 AM   #42
Quicksilver2SS

Drives: 2SS/RS LS3 NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOFORTYZ View Post
Flowbastards drone like no other from my experience. They seem to have been engineered to resonate an obnoxious low tone. They all sound horrible. Fun fact, I bought a car with a new flowmaster muffler on it. It averaged 18 mpg on 3 tanks. Mind you that was my third 240SX and the other two got 24 MPG in the same conditions. The car droned and sounded like crap, very very loud at partial throttle, much worse than a glasspack. I cut the muffler off, destroyed it to ensure no one would ever have to hear it again, and put on a glasspack. Back to 24MPG for the remainder of the time I owned the vehicle.. Flowmaster sucks.
A difference of 6 mpg with Flowmaster mufflers?, you might not like the sound of them but that mpg loss is just not possible unless you had a couple of tennis balls stuck in the damn things
Quicksilver2SS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2013, axle back exhaust, camaro, camaro ss, muffler