Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / PA

Old 09-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
jimfin

Drives: 2SS, Yellow/RS, Volvo XC90
if you use the OnStar hands free feature, please read

For anyone who cares- I received my Camaro on July 7th and about a week later I got around to the OnStar options that weere offered to me for a year free. One of the options said the "hands free calling" feature that OnStar provide can be Attached to your existing Verizion Cell phone plan. In other words, if you have an existing Verizon plan, instead of you purchasing minutes from OnStar (which expire !!!) at an insane price you can use your cell phone plan at no additional cost. the catch is it must be Verizion, becuase the hands free feature goes through Verizion.I called and emailed Verizion asking why it was canceled and all I received at first was a "cookie cutter" email response. They (Verizon) later called me and tried to explain. They told me to call OnStar to ask way. Today I got a call from OnStar to tell me how all of the features worked. I let them know how upset I was about being shut out of this existing program. This program is not being cancelled for those who are already in it ! I strongly suggested that they should allow (Grand Father) those GM car purchasers who took posession of their cars prior to the cut off date be allowed into this program. General Motors is the parent of OnStar. If anyone can do something about this, they can. For those of you who are in the same boat as me and care, please contact OnStar and voice your opion. Last time I checked GM's stock was not worth the paper it was printed on and didn't they get a bail out from the Government, oh I mean the hard working tax payers. Whats fair is fair, speak up. While you're at it send an email to GM and let them know how happy you are. Good Luck
jimfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
OnStar is a call center. As someone who has worked in call centers and received the obnoxious verbal abuse handed to customer service representatives, I can inform you that nothing will come of your recorded calls to them because call center agents are powerless. They will inform you that your input is important as part of their entry-level job description, and their supervisor is equally impotent in creating policy change. If you really want to see a change in policy, you need to reach the OnStar corporate office. Most of these sorts of offices do not receive inbound calls from customers. It is overwhelmingly likely that you will have to sent a letter to the company in order to exact any level of change. I'm sure that there are lots of supporters of this idea, but you should be aware that calling the customer care department is not the best way to provoke policy change.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
ssjoe
Ollie

Drives: 02 Subrbn/94 Prizm/10 SSRS :)
So does it work now? Through Verizon or it doesn't work at all.
ssjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #4
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Worked for me tonight--
Old 09-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Ok... moving your On-Star built-in cell phone to your Verizon plan was never free... basically it's like adding another line to your Verizon account which is like $10 a month.

So what you are saying is you can't move the built-in cell phone... was a bit hard to follow your post...

and as far as I know the FREE 30 minutes you got with the car are the only minutes that actually expire.. could be wrong...

I moved my H3's on-star cell phone to my verizon account.. was cool... but really wasn't worth the $10 a month so i never looked into doing it in the Camaro... need to try the Bluetooth! LOL
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckaram View Post
Worked for me tonight--
OP wasn't exactly clear... what worked for you? Did you actually move your built-in cellphone from On-Star to your verizon plan?
Old 09-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #7
jimfin

I'll try this again

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
OP wasn't exactly clear... what worked for you? Did you actually move your built-in cellphone from On-Star to your verizon plan?
I wanted to add my car to my existing Verizon plan like the On star web site said I could. When I attempted to do so on the Verizon web site it wasn't there. I looked deeper into the Verizon web site and found out that the On Star hands free option (add on) was no longer available as of July 14. I wasn't given a clear explantion as to why. I was told if I wanted the On Star hands free option I had to purchase minutes. The 30 free minutes expire after 60 days if you do not use them. I was told todaty by on star that the addition minutes that i purchase will too expire AT SOME POINT. I WANTED TO CARRY OVER MY CAR TO MY EXISTING VERIZON PLAN BUT I MISSED THE CUT OFF DATE TO DO SO. My arguement is if I took posession of my car prior to the cut off date I should still be intitled to it. I understand the point about using your own cell with the blue tooth, but in the event that you lose your phone, the battery isn't charged or what ever other reason, you have a back up. The point is they're trying to squeeze you for more money. Its the principle here. So to answer your question, no they did not allow me to move over the built in car phone to my Verizon plan.
Old 09-08-2009, 09:09 PM   #8
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
Simply bluetooth your phone to the car and whenever you are in the car with the phone in your pocket...you can answer from the cars controls. I'm not sure what else you would ever want???
Old 09-09-2009, 04:21 AM   #9
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfin View Post
I wanted to add my car to my existing Verizon plan like the On star web site said I could. When I attempted to do so on the Verizon web site it wasn't there. I looked deeper into the Verizon web site and found out that the On Star hands free option (add on) was no longer available as of July 14. I wasn't given a clear explantion as to why. I was told if I wanted the On Star hands free option I had to purchase minutes. The 30 free minutes expire after 60 days if you do not use them. I was told todaty by on star that the addition minutes that i purchase will too expire AT SOME POINT. I WANTED TO CARRY OVER MY CAR TO MY EXISTING VERIZON PLAN BUT I MISSED THE CUT OFF DATE TO DO SO. My arguement is if I took posession of my car prior to the cut off date I should still be intitled to it. I understand the point about using your own cell with the blue tooth, but in the event that you lose your phone, the battery isn't charged or what ever other reason, you have a back up. The point is they're trying to squeeze you for more money. Its the principle here. So to answer your question, no they did not allow me to move over the built in car phone to my Verizon plan.
Thanks for clearing that up for me... i thought that's what you were trying to do but wanted to be sure. The question is WHO changed this? Was it On-Star (GM) or Verizon? Perhaps it's was Verizon that changed the rules since you didn't by the "cell phone" from them... ????
Old 09-09-2009, 04:54 AM   #10
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Just use a phone with BluTooth and you are done. I have the Verizon set-up in my SKY and it costs me $10 a month for that line. Blutooth costs nothing, sounds better, Displays the numbers on your stereo that are calling in. All around, cheaper and better!
Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 AM   #11
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmicro_SS View Post
Just use a phone with BluTooth and you are done. I have the Verizon set-up in my SKY and it costs me $10 a month for that line. Blutooth costs nothing, sounds better, Displays the numbers on your stereo that are calling in. All around, cheaper and better!
I actually had my bluetooth all setup with my phone... worked for a couple of days then went nuts! "Call Home" "Calling Tammy Work" Huh? "Call Tammy Cell" "Calling Mom" Huh? And then when it did happen to call the right number it would pop up on the screen "Private call, transferring..." And at the point the call was basically lost.. ??? It was suggested I have the dealer try updating the car... I may have to do that and try again... but needless to say I wasn't impressed... LOL
Old 09-10-2009, 09:00 PM   #12
jimfin

Guess what they said?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
Thanks for clearing that up for me... i thought that's what you were trying to do but wanted to be sure. The question is WHO changed this? Was it On-Star (GM) or Verizon? Perhaps it's was Verizon that changed the rules since you didn't by the "cell phone" from them... ????
They both pointed the finger at each other. what a suprise.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
jimfin

It for insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
Simply bluetooth your phone to the car and whenever you are in the car with the phone in your pocket...you can answer from the cars controls. I'm not sure what else you would ever want???
I wanted it in the event my cell got lost, the batery died etc. In a pinch would have a back up. Sounds stupid but you never know .
Old 09-10-2009, 09:11 PM   #14
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
blue tooth feature works great,hands free and also FREE.