Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

View Poll Results: If the "HP edition" Camaro was called Z28:
Yes, I would still be interested in purchasing the car. 537 78.17%
No, I wouldn't buy it because that's not what I think it should be called. 150 21.83%
Voters: 687. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2011, 04:35 AM   #225
Vega

Drives: 91' Camaro RS
Send a message via Yahoo to Vega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masta T View Post
when i think of the z28 name i think of the corvette z06. light, more powerful (non supercharged) engine , better suspension, and a bada** look. but when i look at this car i see a more zr1 inspired look to it. GM did have two Hp test mules out testing *the red and blue one* maybe one had the lsa and the other had a new non charged engine in it.
My thoughts exactly

Seems to me the big problem here is half the people are just impatient for a Camaro named Z/28 and the other half just dont wanna be forced into a supercharged Z/28 cause it goes against the heritage of the name...so i ask...why was everyone so up the LSA's @ss in the first place? LOL, dropping some motor other than the LSA or LS9 in this car making the same power in an N/A set up would please both sides, so as ive always suggested i say GM dispell the LSA rumors. Id go for a re-vamped LS7 or a production version of the LSX454

Last edited by Vega; 01-18-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:19 AM   #226
Sawyer

Drives: '13 5.0
^ Not sure the extra weight of the 454 would work. But I like your thoughts..
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:50 AM   #227
nick at night

Drives: 2003 silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post

2. The Z28 should, as it historicly did, rival the Boss 302 Mustang if at all possible, the reasoning behind which being that the Boss is a race-inspired vehicle like the Z is while the GT500 is a street inspired vehicle, although VERY potent, its still just street inspired

3. The Z should be a car tuned to a high performance level, tuned, not just supercharged, im talking cam an LS3, change the exhaust, mod the heads, strip the car bare to the essentials for weight savings and let it loose...an LSA with heated seats and nav just doesnt fill those shoes at all
Sounds like an SSX
nick at night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:29 AM   #228
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I am liking adding SSX to the CAMARO line-up the more I see it. Just because the way the concept was, I believe it should be a BOSS competitor, and this SC'd model Z28. It's a little role reversal, but why wouldn't they just have called SSX Z28 when they introduced it? I still don't know how I feel about it, but I think it's a cleaver enough name, and catchy. To me, it is more of a stripped SS, so I still think it should be SSX, rather than Z28; Z28, from what we can see, but still have no ultimate confirmation of, is a lot different than SS, so I think it should have a completely different designation. SSX can be a pumped SS (like we see in the concept) and Z28 can just be a different animal altogether. I'm still a little uneasy about what seems like a role reversal; I sill want Z28 to be the top dog, though LOL.

We'll just have to continue to wait

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:44 AM   #229
6D8Z28

Drives: 68 Z28
Send a message via AIM to 6D8Z28
Quote:
My thoughts exactly

Seems to me the big problem here is half the people are just impatient for a Camaro named Z/28 and the other half just dont wanna be forced into a supercharged Z/28 cause it goes against the heritage of the name...so i ask...why was everyone so up the LSA's @ss in the first place? LOL, dropping some motor other than the LSA or LS9 in this car making the same power in an N/A set up would please both sides, so as ive always suggested i say GM dispell the LSA rumors. Id go for a re-vamped LS7 or a production version of the LSX454
Don't you guys feel that Chevy has missed the Heritage boat here away? I bought my 2010, just because I liked the looks of the car. If Chevy was really into the tradition of the camaro, they would have thought this out and had a plan to keep the type's/performance packages when they designed the 2010. I mean when you can get rally strips on any model, doesn't that say it all. Chevy was in trouble and did what they had to do, just to stay in business. If you want a Z/28, buy one from the "60's, because you can stop progress and call it Z/28 or HP Edition...its still a nice car.
3000-Order Accepted by Production Control 10-19 ( 11-2 TPW )
3300-Order Scheduled for Production 11-2 Confirmed
3400-Order Broadcast 11-2 Confirmed
3800-Order Produced 11-7 Vin #64346 "On Hold"
4000-Available to Ship 11-12
4200-Shipped 11-14 Rail # EXXT908088 (Arrived Mira Loma, CA. 11-22 3:50am)
4800-Bayed
5000-Delivered to Dealer
6000-Customer Pick-up
6D8Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:50 AM   #230
76CamaroLT

Drives: 4wheels
Quote:
...all that being said, quite honestly, if this car WAS named Z28 i would enjoy it still, but i would purchase a Boss 302 before this car...because odds are the Boss will be comparable in performance with a lot more attitude for way less money.
I would love to get my hands on a Laguna Seca. If the opportunity, some how, presented itself at MSRP I think I would have to buy it.
76CamaroLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #231
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D8Z28 View Post
Don't you guys feel that Chevy has missed the Heritage boat here away? I bought my 2010, just because I liked the looks of the car. If Chevy was really into the tradition of the camaro, they would have thought this out and had a plan to keep the type's/performance packages when they designed the 2010. I mean when you can get rally strips on any model, doesn't that say it all. Chevy was in trouble and did what they had to do, just to stay in business. If you want a Z/28, buy one from the "60's, because you can stop progress and call it Z/28 or HP Edition...its still a nice car.
Initally - I thought they might have. Because of the 4th Gen., I figured SS would be the Top Dog. However - seeing SS used on other Chevy models led me to believe it is more a "standard" high performance model, much like the Mustang GT. Then, Z28 would be the super-high performance model. I still don't know that Chevy has missed the heritage boat. Times change. It seems to me that some people would still rather the car come with manual everything and none of the advancements in performance that the latest technology has allowed many cars to enjoy. I don't thing GM can make a car, like Z28 started out as, now. I could be wrong, though, because Ford released the Boss, so... We'll see how much people like paying more for a car that has less (not performance - content). That doesn't sound like much of a winning formula for sales, and I think that's what it's all about right now.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #232
htron50

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Smile

How does

LING FEL TER
HEN NES SEY
BER GER
S L P
ETC ETC sound???

I am not worried... GM will do us proud! They know the iconic symbolism of what they are designing. Not to worry... it will certainly Badge out a ton better than what you see above... (no disrespect to those above!)...
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:21 PM   #233
6D8Z28

Drives: 68 Z28
Send a message via AIM to 6D8Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Initally - I thought they might have. Because of the 4th Gen., I figured SS would be the Top Dog. However - seeing SS used on other Chevy models led me to believe it is more a "standard" high performance model, much like the Mustang GT. Then, Z28 would be the super-high performance model. I still don't know that Chevy has missed the heritage boat. Times change. It seems to me that some people would still rather the car come with manual everything and none of the advancements in performance that the latest technology has allowed many cars to enjoy. I don't thing GM can make a car, like Z28 started out as, now. I could be wrong, though, because Ford released the Boss, so... We'll see how much people like paying more for a car that has less (not performance - content). That doesn't sound like much of a winning formula for sales, and I think that's what it's all about right now.
No you're absolutely right. You can't stop progress. That's why my '10 has a sunroof, Bluetooth, XM Radio and nothing is manual. I love it, I just wish they would of thought about the Z/28's performance package before they put it into another car. That's what's great about the first gen. Z/28. It's the only camaro with the 302 and when you saw those hood strips, you knew what it was. I'm was just looking for a special and rare performance package, but I guess that's not very realistic any more...is it? Sure...selling cars is #1, but bragging rights is important too.
3000-Order Accepted by Production Control 10-19 ( 11-2 TPW )
3300-Order Scheduled for Production 11-2 Confirmed
3400-Order Broadcast 11-2 Confirmed
3800-Order Produced 11-7 Vin #64346 "On Hold"
4000-Available to Ship 11-12
4200-Shipped 11-14 Rail # EXXT908088 (Arrived Mira Loma, CA. 11-22 3:50am)
4800-Bayed
5000-Delivered to Dealer
6000-Customer Pick-up
6D8Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 PM   #234
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
Also, I did not see someone ask this question, but did yall ever figure out what the "HP" stands for?
I'm going to make an education guess here and say it stands for "High Performance".

Quote:
I feel like a lot of people are missing the point behind NOT calling is Z28, just because this car wouldnt be called Z28 doesnt mean there wont be a Z28 model at all, we're not officially limited to 3 trims here.
Given current and looming CAFE standards, and the host of other performance cars GM is obligated to support...I don't like the chances of hoping for another exceptional Camaro model.

Quote:
What me and a lot of other people are saying is that this specific car isnt what a Z28 is supposed to be, it doesnt fill any of the criteria of what a Z28 is
I contend that there is no "criteria". And if there is...who is qualified to set these rules?

Quote:
2. The Z28 should, as it historicly did, rival the Boss 302 Mustang if at all possible, the reasoning behind which being that the Boss is a race-inspired vehicle like the Z is while the GT500 is a street inspired vehicle, although VERY potent, its still just street inspired

3. The Z should be a car tuned to a high performance level, tuned, not just supercharged, im talking cam an LS3, change the exhaust, mod the heads, strip the car bare to the essentials for weight savings and let it loose...an LSA with heated seats and nav just doesnt fill those shoes at all

4. The Z should be AFFORDABLE. If you're going to have a historical name out there like that that the public would devour, let them devour it, dont make it a premium item

...all that being said, quite honestly, if this car WAS named Z28 i would enjoy it still, but i would purchase a Boss 302 before this car...because odds are the Boss will be comparable in performance with a lot more attitude for way less money.
2. The '67 Z28 was race-inspired. If not race-BRED, like the current Z06. But times have certainly changed, and the Camaro is no longer a professional racer for its manufacturer. HISTORICALLY speaking...I see the only thing ALL Z28s had in common over the Camaro's nearly 45 years was they were top-end Camaro trim levels. Every generation seemed to bring a little bit different of a formula to the nameplate....why should this 5th generation be required to limit the Z28 to those original restrictions that the '67 had to endure based on racing regulations?

3.I mean no offense...but this comment doesn't lend to your understanding of the word "tuned". Do you really think the LSA is just an LS block with a supercharger slapped on?

Two points here...the first, is that you're assuming this Z28 to be what you've got in your mind it'll be...personally...I expect it'll be much...MUCH more - so understand that to be a source of our disagreement. The second point...your suggestion about modifying the heads and exhaust plus a total stripping of the interior....is impractical and impossible for an OEM today. Emissions standards will absolutely rule out the performance modifications, and the interior gutting will make the car appealing to nobody but a very few.

4. Affordability is determined as much by the environment in which a car is introduced, as it is in the vehicle's content. In today's environment...we have fuel economy standards...and a picky consumer. The former will require volume to be restrained unless its a fuel miser, and the latter will require all the modern amenities we've come to take for granted in vehicles. I promise you that if the interior is gutted, the public will NOT devour it. Chevy will be lucky to sell over 2,000 units...

And finally...I think you drastically overestimate that Boss Mustang...especially compared to a car that's not even been confirmed. But there's no argument to be had here, one way or the other...just my .02.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D8Z28 View Post
I'm was just looking for a special and rare performance package, but I guess that's not very realistic any more...is it?
Well, it can be...the Z28/HP Edition will have a comprehensive performance treatment. I mean that from the tires to the aerodynamics, this car will be touched-up, tuned-up, and made DAMN sure to outperform any possible competition. I expect it to absolutely look the part, as well. But to do all that...it's not going to be cheap, which will rarefy it...
Old 01-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #235
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
I feel like a lot of people are missing the point behind NOT calling is Z28, just because this car wouldnt be called Z28 doesnt mean there wont be a Z28 model at all, we're not officially limited to 3 trims here. What me and a lot of other people are saying is that this specific car isnt what a Z28 is supposed to be, it doesnt fill any of the criteria of what a Z28 is except that its the highest performance option (yes, Z28 is the highest performance option, the only reason there is doubt is because SLP needed something to call their upgraded 4th gen Z28s and just ended up calling it SS, other than that small fluke Z28 and/or Z/28 has always been the higher performance model). But just making this the highest performance model shouldnt make it a Z, here's my qualifications:

1. Any Z28 should be the highest performance model except for minor acceptions, ZL1 being one of them or packages to enhance the Z28 such as 1LE

4. The Z should be AFFORDABLE. If you're going to have a historical name out there like that that the public would devour, let them devour it, dont make it a premium item

Okay, good points, however if Chevy will introduce the Z-28 to "rival" the Boss 302 R reincarnation then it has to produce a 5.0L motor along the same cubic inch benchmarks. The Mustang has not stopped production since it's inception and has built off the same platform with modifications and improvements since day one. The Holden Zeta platform is a different aniimal from the F body lineage, and compared to the Ford Mustang chasis it is apples and oranges different. The Camaro5 would need forced induction of one sort or the other to compensate for all it's structural integrity. Sticking a 6.2 L or anything else into it and calling it a Z-28 to rival the 302 R is missing the whole idea of the displacement limitations that were implemented for the trans am series and making a modern retro version. That seems to be the direction Ford is heading with their's. Take some time and read about Ford's 2012 302 R. The 5.0 Ford would be stomped to death by a similary equiped 6.2L, so where's the rivalry in that. We have to think about what the intentions are of the two manufacturers for what the cars are going to be designed for before we can really speculate on a powerplant. AS it is, IMHO the Camaro can't be striped down sufficiently in the current form and go toe to toe with a lighter performer with the same cubic inch displacement unless a boat load more torque and hp can be wrung out from it. Any thoughts?
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #236
a_Username

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
High Horsepower edition? That's lame!
a_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:57 PM   #237
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_Username View Post
High Horsepower edition? That's lame!
High Performance....and I seriously doubt it's a production name consideration...fwiw.
Old 01-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #238
Darkflow

Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro SS LE
Personally, i would like it to be called a "Z28. I wouldnt be surprised if it wasnt though. HP Edition isnt the name though, idk why it would be?? I think its just GM trying to keep everyone from knowing exactly what the name is as of right now. Similar to how they arent giving out a name for the possible ressurection of the G8 as a Chevy.