Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Captain77

Drives: CRT 2SS/RS L99
Brand new CRT SS. (Paint swirls ,ugh)!

I am already noticing swirls in my paint and its killing me.. what is the best way to get rid of the swirls?What are some Techniques and products I can use?

Proud 2SS/RS Owner.
Captain77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
The first problem you need to get ahold of is what is causing the swirls. It does you no good to correct them just to re-inflict the damage. Tell us about your wash and dry method.

To get rid of the swirls, you have to polish down the surrounding clear coat until it's level. The way you do this is with a machine polisher. Some popular ones include the Griot's Garage, the Porter Cable 7424XP, and others.

After that, you need to get pads and polishes. I have a thread that will help.

As far as technique, you can watch any number of videos online that show how to polish with a dual action polisher. Junkman has some, Adam's Polishes has some, and many, many more. Just Youtube search for "porter cable polishing" I'm sure you'll get hundreds.

The dual action polishers are excellent because they are completely paint safe and still powerful enough to do serious correction.

Hopefully some of that gets you going in the right direction.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Do you use the same hand mit on the tires as you do for the rest of the car? If not, Do you clean your tires before or after the rest of the car being washed or during the wash?

As for me, every year I buy a new mit. The previous years mit becomes the tire cleaner and under carriage mit while the new one is only used on my paint.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote