Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 03-16-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Pirelli World Challenge......really??

Im watching this right now..a kia optima in the same class as the camaro???

and hanging in there with it and Im assuming the camaros are Zl1s...:eye bulge:

I looked the the kia and theres nothing special about it (stock), someone wringing some serious power out of that 4 banger...

thoughts?
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:54 PM   #2
MJanowich
Door ding magnet

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS
You must be watching a race from last year, I don't see any new races this year until March 28th. It took some digging, but here's an article about a concept car that Kia made that's based on a lot of tech from the PWC Optima. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...239971811.html

Looks like it has a turbo 4 and there's probably not much about that car's engine and suspension that's stock. Race organizations do their best to make every car in a class competitive. The faster the car, the less it ends up being like the showroom stock version of it.
"a tuned version of Kia's proven 2.0-liter turbocharged gasoline direct injected (T-GDI) four-cylinder engine putting out an impressive 315 horsepower. "Our Optima racecars use the same engine and can produce more than 400 horsepower," "

"When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
MJanowich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
wally mayfield

Apparently it was a rerun...the Camaros won the class, but in a video from a camaro down the long straight away these kias were passing the camaro..I always thought of these as junk throw away cars..heres a 2014 schedule:

http://www.world-challenge.com/index...rs&view=events
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
Old 03-17-2014, 05:12 PM   #4
130R

Drives: SS
No, they aren't ZL1's. It's highly unlikely you'll ever see a ZL1 professionally road raced. Some of the cars do have ZL1 front facia & hoods though…

I don't know the specifics, and couldn't find anything in the rules, but keep in mind, they try to equalize the cars with restrictors. It's almost a certainty the Camaro is running less than the factory 426 HP.

The cars (with driver) also have a minimum weight. Again, I couldn't find specifics.

The rules make them much closer than they otherwise would be.

If you're interested in the rules, you can find them here.
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:19 PM   #5
wally mayfield

Yes Im interested, this is the kind of racing I like to watch.

Ill check the link out, and hope the races will be televised as they seem to be now.

thank you..
Old 03-17-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
130R

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
Yes Im interested, this is the kind of racing I like to watch.

Ill check the link out, and hope the races will be televised as they seem to be now.

thank you..
It's a good series. I already have my calendar marked for the 2014 televised broadcasts.

The full race/TV schedule is available on the PWC website.
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:47 PM   #7
wally mayfield

also, I find it interesting that mopar isn't competing...
Old 03-19-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
hcsi99
Cadillac Service Manager

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1SS, 1LE, NPP, RECAROS
Wally if you like sports car racing, check out www.imsa.com They run two different series, the Tudor Series and the Continental Tire Series. This is where the Z28R's run.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #9
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
went to Sebring race, cars are handicapped to make them even, I saw 370Z draft and pull Camaros and Boss and back straight. The Stevenson Camaros are in another league from a preparation and support standpoint. If they entered Civics they be competitive. Your street Camaro is making more HP than these cars, stock intake,exhaust manifolds, even the OEM injection molded air intake hose. Pretty sure the Kias are a boxer 6 motor like a Cayman. There were other Camaros, but the were independents and got waxed. It is not just the platform, but the program, factory support and hot shoe drivers
tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
AF440

Drives: 2014 1LE, CRT, Recaros, NPP
Pirelli World Challenge is really exciting. I went to Long Beach GP last year and the WC racing was a better experience (IMO) than the IndyCar. Great to see race versions of our own cars and other everyday cars racing. The WC pits were in a big convention hall and spectators had incredible access to them, only a small rope separating the teams/cars from the fans. Most all of the teams were really nice and would stop to chat if they could. Amazing how our LS motors run stock, except for forged internals, and still have to run restricted.

Check outs this thread on LG's car '12 season. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200908
You can 'almost' turn our cars into the same thing with parts that are available from shops. The others, like Kia, are way more exclusive and the builds are unavailable to the public.
AF440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
wally mayfield

Thanks AF440 for the link.....sweet.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:53 PM   #12
jasonfichter

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
If you guys want more news about the camaros in PWC look up Breathless Performance Pro Race Team on facebook. They are running 2 camaros this year, actually today was their first practice runs. Im on the team but I am racing a mini this year in PWC. Hopefully next year I will be running a camaro. And the reason they run the zl1 front end and hood is for better airflow and the front ends are easier to add downforce options to. If any of you come to a world challenge race feel free to stop by and check out the cars, we also love to talk to the fans. Also the team has a account on here, BPPRacingTeam.
jasonfichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:49 PM   #13
driser

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfichter View Post
If you guys want more news about the camaros in PWC look up Breathless Performance Pro Race Team on facebook. They are running 2 camaros this year, actually today was their first practice runs. Im on the team but I am racing a mini this year in PWC. Hopefully next year I will be running a camaro. And the reason they run the zl1 front end and hood is for better airflow and the front ends are easier to add downforce options to. If any of you come to a world challenge race feel free to stop by and check out the cars, we also love to talk to the fans. Also the team has a account on here, BPPRacingTeam.
Watched the races from last year, really a great series. I am trying to get a few guys from here to come over to Barber.
driser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #14
jasonfichter

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by driser View Post
Watched the races from last year, really a great series. I am trying to get a few guys from here to come over to Barber.
All of us will be there feel free to stop by. I would watch the races tomorrow at st. Pete it should be a good race.
jasonfichter is offline   Reply With Quote