Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #15
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins91106 View Post
Is a cam worth the Money----its costly but withbthis camn its mild until about 2800 rpm's and then its a beast
2) Will reliability suffer from installing one---I have had 0 problems...reliability is also alot in the insatll and TUNE!!!!
3) Anybody have any issues after installing one.----None here.
4) How big is enough? The jre 470 cam is one of the biggest blower cams that I personally wanted for a dd. I needed a mean cam with street manners as I drive 40-60 minuts in heavy traffic home from work 5 days a week.
+1 I am totally pleased with mine! Not that much heavy traffic driving, but it behaves really well at low speed. Just need to adjust your driving style/clutch usage a bit when trying to go really slow, as in across a parking lot. Serious power increase and the lope gets attention. Nice weather here today and a couple of younger guys about crossed out of their lane trying to get a better look at what was loping behind them.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #16
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 2010 Sin View Post
The biggest thing I tell anyone and everyone that asks these questions is

"Don't modify your engine if you're not willing to pay for the consequences of it failing. All things will fail eventually and if you don't do all of the supporting mods that need done at once you're setting yourself up for failure. P/V clearance checks, good springs good rods, check lifters, rockers, replace to melling oil pump, upgrade fuel pump (depending on cam size), tune done by a very qualified tuner, and obvious suspension and diff bushings to accept the added power without bad deflection."

Here's why I say this. My 1st cam was installed in my car two years ago tuned by a local tuner. After four months I started developing a small tick (thought it was nothing). The tick turned into a frozen lifter, flat spot on the cam and a bent exhaust valve.

2nd Cam - Installed by a different shop (very well known on camaro5), Pistons were flycut, valve replaced pushrods checked, melling pump installed, and lifter and rockers checked, Glad they did because I had a rocker set that was loose. Professionally tuned by Chuck Anders ChucksLSXTuning, Diff Bushings upgraded to pfadt, and I've had it over 10,000 miles of hard spirited driving and its been with me every step of the way. Things will fail. Stack your $ because insurance and warranty dont exist! ;-)

2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:22 AM   #17
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrognlie View Post
So here is the questions I have before I drop the cash and I figure you guys are the experts more so than I.

1) Is a cam worth the Money
2) Will reliability suffer from installing one.
3) Anybody have any issues after installing one.
4) How big is enough?

I'm doing long tube headers, hi flow cats, and a cam kit and I'm having a local trusted shop installing these and sounds like the car will put up some pretty good dyno numbers..

Thanks for any info u guys can give..

Chad
Hello Chad, Before you can Consider a Cam upgrade you will have to Add Long Tube Headers to your Mod List.

If you Want HP and a Cool Idle sound, then They are Worth Every Penny.

Anytime you modify anything and Drive it Harder you increase your chances of Failure, Todays Parts are better than anything previously offered so Reliablility Is High with Proper Care.

Valve Springs should be inspected Yearly on a daily driver and Every 6 Months if Raced Regularly.

Our Cams are Plenty big enough to get you the Meat of the Power, and you have to go a Lot bigger to find the Crumbs.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #18
ITGuy11
Burning up tires

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert
Get out your credit card and give Ted a call. He will set you straight!
ITGuy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #19
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
once the intake and headers are done, call any of the Camaro5 trusted vendors and yes... it is worth every penny.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #20
keving2873

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Just curious, does a cam install increase where your redline is? As in, can you push each gear farther up the rpm's with on of these aftermarket cams?
Custom Comp Cam 231/234 114LSA 617/598 lift, Katech timing chain
Apex Catch-can
VMAX Ported Throttle Body
20" Niche Essen's wrapped in Michelin PSS 315/295
keving2873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by keving2873 View Post
Just curious, does a cam install increase where your redline is? As in, can you push each gear farther up the rpm's with on of these aftermarket cams?
Typically 2-400
Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #22
ccrognlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Black on Black
Yep Long Tube headers and hi flow cats is a part of this deal. The cam would be changed and all the supporting parts for the cam. I know parts fail and warranty would not exist on those parts so the question is why do it ????????
Old 03-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #23
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Yep Long Tube headers and hi flow cats is a part of this deal. The cam would be changed and all the supporting parts for the cam. I know parts fail and warranty would not exist on those parts so the question is why do it ????????
To Make the Car More Fun to Drive, and Sound cool as Hell when your sitting at a light or pulling in to a Car Cruise.

The higher the Horsepower the Bigger the Grin
Old 03-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #24
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

I don't know if I missed it, but did you mention the cam specs? The cam size along with the installation and tuning play a huge roll in dependability.

Poor installation and tuning can cause all kinds of issues. Also a poorly chosen cam can also create issues.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #25
ccrognlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS Black on Black
I do not have the specs of the cam. I was just given expected rwhp numbers.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:28 PM   #26
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post

only muscle car owners could understand this

Quote:
Todays Parts are better than anything previously offered so Reliablility Is High with Proper Care.
i remember my dad told me back in the 70s, parts were just not like they are today. people would drive with a tool box in the trunk

Last edited by mikeSS; 03-16-2012 at 08:35 PM.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #27
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Quote:
To Make the Car More Fun to Drive, and Sound cool as Hell when your sitting at a light or pulling in to a Car Cruise.

I wouldn't have expected anything less. WELL SAID! I need it like another hole in the head, but I see a Maggie in my future and I know who to call. Suspension is next, but I have the more HP bug...

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:10 AM   #28
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroost View Post
I wouldn't have expected anything less. WELL SAID! I need it like another hole in the head, but I see a Maggie in my future and I know who to call. Suspension is next, but I have the more HP bug...
Let's Face it this is a Hobby Not a Necessity.

Necessities are No Fun, Hobbies are REAL FUN, it is what we work so hard to achieve after the necessities, Makes you look forward to Overtime

Ted.