Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 02-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
jagan323
I have no life

Drives: 06' Subaru STI, ex-Camaro V6 LLT
Removing V6 Brake Calipers

Hi guys,

Never removed the V6 calipers before. Just asking around if anyone has any tips? Or even better, if you guys have any tutorials. I've looked on youtube, seems to be a lot of info, but nothing Camaro specific.

Anything I should be aware of?

I'm taking off the calipers to paint, swap rotors, and change new pads.

Thanks guys, any help would be great =D
Old 02-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #2
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Have you done a brake job before??
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:46 AM   #3
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
I was just doing th same thing. looks pretty simple to me.
Take wheel off, theres 4 bolts, 2 will take one pieve of the caliper out, the other two will take the whole caliper out.
Sawp pads, reset the piston. MAke sure the caliper is not hanging during the process.
Put it back together
I just youtubed how to change your brakes and rotors and watched a few vids to see peoples mistakes, tips and process
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:47 AM   #4
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
i think its the inner two bolts that take off the whole caliper assembly
If you experience Permagrin exceeding 4 hours after taking Camaro, seek immediate Camaro5 Help
CAMARO Bringing excitment back into the Garage
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:06 AM   #5
jagan323
I have no life

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboguy327 View Post
Have you done a brake job before??
No i haven't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
I was just doing th same thing. looks pretty simple to me.
Take wheel off, theres 4 bolts, 2 will take one pieve of the caliper out, the other two will take the whole caliper out.
Sawp pads, reset the piston. MAke sure the caliper is not hanging during the process.
Put it back together
I just youtubed how to change your brakes and rotors and watched a few vids to see peoples mistakes, tips and process
Yeah, well, just watching youtube videos doesn't exactly cut it. Some techniques may be the same, but I was just wondering if any one knew the specifics to this car.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #6
turboguy327
Banned

Well you never mentioned pushing the piston back in which will need to be done as you are replacing parts. If its not pushed back in perfectly square guess what?? You need a new caliper. Find somebody local that knows how to do brakes to help you your first couple times. So its done correctly and you don't damage your car or reasseble incorrectly. Or if your in high school swing by the auto lab and ask for some help. That's usually free.
The camaro brakes are the same as any other floating caliper setup on any other car. The h8 is different as its a fixed caliper. But the v6 brakes are very simple as long.as the piston goes back in correctly
Old 02-24-2011, 04:04 PM   #7
jagan323
I have no life

thanks for your help. And no, im not in highschool. Just thought I'd give it a try =)
Old 02-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
turboguy327
Banned

Just a suggestion. The biggest thing is making sure the piston goes in square. My old high school will do work on peoples cars for free. I drop my dd off there sometimes. The kids at my school are trustworthy plus I hangout there as im still good friends with my old auto teacher.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
jagan323
I have no life

What do you mean when you say the Pistons goes in Square? Like... Flush? Or... square in rotation?

Looking on youtube, they use a piston spreader or something. Is that what you are talking about? =P Just asking out of my own curiousity. Sometimes I just realize there are some things I don't know how to do, and leave it to the more experienced. However, I've learned a lot with this car... I've never done anything myself before until this car. Just wanna keep it rollin!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
turboguy327
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagan323 View Post
What do you mean when you say the Pistons goes in Square? Like... Flush? Or... square in rotation?

Looking on youtube, they use a piston spreader or something. Is that what you are talking about? =P Just asking out of my own curiousity. Sometimes I just realize there are some things I don't know how to do, and leave it to the more experienced. However, I've learned a lot with this car... I've never done anything myself before until this car. Just wanna keep it rollin!
When u push the piston back in it needs to go in perfect. Not leaning to one side or crooked. If it does your buying a new caliper. They make a tool that makes it easier. Once you have done it a couple times it gets easy. I always just use a screwdriver through the window on the back of the caliper. Or I open the bleeder and push it in by hand.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #11
jagan323
I have no life

Actually i just went online and did a search. yeah, I know what you are talking about now. Seems that everyone does it by C-clamping their old calipers, and pushing it in that way, seems to go in pretty straight.. seems to do the trick. I think I'm fairly confident about this part now. However, in one of the videos, a guy says u need to pump the brakes before you move the car? I'm assuming u pump them with all four changed, and off the axle stands correct?

Thanks for the fast replies btw lol.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:22 PM   #12
turboguy327
Banned

A c clamp works good too. Leave an old pad in the caliper to push against and make sure the c clamp is in the middle of the piston. You can have the car ready to drive when u pump the pedal. The reason you do that is because there is extra space between the piston and the back of the pad from when you pushed the piston in. So you need to take that space up before the piston can push on the pad.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #13
jagan323
I have no life

OOohh, Okay I see! Wow, thanks Turboguy =D You've been tremendous help! I really appreciate it!
Old 02-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #14
turboguy327
Banned

No problem man. If you get into it pm me. I get snails on my phone and ill give u my # to walk you through whatever issue your having. Whatever you do DO NOT push on the brake pedal with the brakes unassembled. If you do the piston will come shooting out. And use a old coathanger to hang the caliper from the spring.