Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 02-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #15
rray200

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Good luck to all of you who get on waiting lists.

It's going to be so tough seeing all these 5th Gen Camaros driving around while I wait to buy mine. Ugh...it's going to drive me nuts. But, I'll get second year run...better goodies, more hp, less kinks to work out, and the wives car will be paid off...along w/ mine. So, only ONE car payment.

Jeesh....I just realized....it's going to be about 11 months before we start seeing Camros on the road. But, it's going to be another two years before I get mine! &*#$&$*#(#)@)(~!!!!!
I sure hope they don't do with the 5th gen what they did with the GTO, offering it with an LS1 the first year and then the 400 HP LS2 the following year. That would piss alot of first year buyers off.
rray200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:40 PM   #16
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010
Z28 Hold Out!

Drives: 2000 Monte Carlo SS
Yeah, I too would hate to by a new Camaro the first year and the next year a GT500 fighter comes out. LOL.
joes3rdcamaro82/91/2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:41 PM   #17
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
there may not be a waiting list for the manufacturer(gm/chevy), but i think that there may be waiting list at the dealerships. some dealerships have a waiting list that says for ex: if there are 5 camaros that come in and your name is one of the 5 people on the list, you will be either 1st,2nd 3rd 4th or 5th, you pick yours or to place the order. it is by no meens illegal or a scam but it basically entitles you to a first pick when the cars get to that specific dealership. now if you are ordering a car it doesnt really apply becasue anyone will be able to go and order a car from any dealer once that time arrives.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #18
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
there may not be a waiting list for the manufacturer(gm/chevy), but i think that there may be waiting list at the dealerships. some dealerships have a waiting list that says for ex: if there are 5 camaros that come in and your name is one of the 5 people on the list, you will be either 1st,2nd 3rd 4th or 5th, you pick yours or to place the order. it is by no meens illegal or a scam but it basically entitles you to a first pick when the cars get to that specific dealership. now if you are ordering a car it doesnt really apply becasue anyone will be able to go and order a car from any dealer once that time arrives.
There will never be a waiting list from GM, un less it for the dealers, We don't buy the cars from GM, we buy them from the dealer, so there the ones who will have a list, and a list means markups.

Now as far as a GT500 Killer, comming out later, I could care less about how much HP the Camaro has, I want it because I Like it, all I care about is that it has a V8 and it sounds fricken awesome.
2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:12 PM   #19
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
I could care less about how much HP the Camaro has, I want it because I Like it, all I care about is that it has a V8 and it sounds fricken awesome.
AMEN
Old 02-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #20
smike07

Drives: 1998 convertible Camaro RS
I'm buying one used anyway. I'll get a better deal on one that way. Besides, the Camaro I know is like a battle ax. You can keep hacking away with her, but the results still stay the same... she kills the competition! I've got about 200,000 miles on my '98 and she still performs better than any in her class. I have had to replace a few things, but that's just what you do when you have that many miles on a car. Nothing vital has been replaced,though. Only the belt tensioner, belt, spark plugs, head gaskets, (and almost every other gasket), alternator, and the fluids about a thousand times over. I plan on getting one with no more than 10,000 miles on her. Preferably 3,000. That way I can do the routine maintenance the way I want to.
smike07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 09:50 PM   #21
2010_5thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
There will never be a waiting list from GM, un less it for the dealers, We don't buy the cars from GM, we buy them from the dealer, so there the ones who will have a list, and a list means markups.

Now as far as a GT500 Killer, comming out later, I could care less about how much HP the Camaro has, I want it because I Like it, all I care about is that it has a V8 and it sounds fricken awesome.
not true . list dont meen markups. and yeah tye do have wating list and order list from gm. a friend of mine was on the list for the pontiac solstice when it first came out and so were thousands of other people.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:37 AM   #22
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I have never heard of getting on a list with GM. I have, however, heard of getting on a "list" with a dealer. You place your special order through a dealer to GM. So, if you want to get on a list, you go to your dealer, get them to place you on a list, and then the dealer calls you to say they are ready for you to come in to place your order.

Let's say that dealer "A" gets allocated 5 top of the line Camaros per quarter. The dealer has 15 people on a list (in order from 1st person to come in to last). The dealer gets 5 open allocation slots. Dealer calls buyer, says come in, order is placed, cars arrive, and are sold off the lot. Next quarter arrives and GM says you get another 5. Process repeats. I can not say for fact, but I imagine this is how it would run. (This is how I ordered my 02 Z28).

I wouldn't have the slightest clue how and to whom you would contact to get on a list w/ GM. You don't buy the car from them. You buy it from a dealer.

And, like Stovt said, sometimes lists do mean mark ups. If a dealer "A" says we're only selling them at $5K over MSRP right now, then those willing to pay that $5K over get their cars from the list first. As they axe people from the list, they drop their GOUGED PRICES (cause that's how I see it), and call in those willing to pay $2K over MSRP, and so on. Lists can mean mark ups. I, for one, refuse to pay anything over MSRP. I don't care....I'll wait and spend less to get the same as the guy who spends $5K over. That's just $5K less he/she will have to spend on mods!!!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 02:22 AM   #23
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yup thats about how it works. Dealers are allocated a certain amount of each car. They can use an allocation slot to order a car to customer's specifications (within limits, depending on manufacturer's policy), modify a car already in the allocation pipeline, or reserve a car in transit from the manufacturer to the dealership. The manufacturer's regional sales and distribution unit will determine allocation numbers, mainly using past sales. So of course, the more sales, the more Camaros, and the more options to get it how you want it. But the more sales, the more people willing to pay good money to be on that list, at least at first. When I worked inventory at a dealership we just had a simple excel list of the person and their car's specifications. If we happened to get allocated a match, then that person was the lucky winner and they got their car. If we had to special order it then it would all depend on when it was made and allocated to us.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #24
2010_5thgen

im just telling you how my buddy ordered his solstice. he even got calls from pontiac saying his order was behind and they kept sending him free shirts and hats to keep him happy! trust me i wouldnt have any reason to lie to you guys.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:02 PM   #25
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
im just telling you how my buddy ordered his solstice. he even got calls from pontiac saying his order was behind and they kept sending him free shirts and hats to keep him happy! trust me i wouldnt have any reason to lie to you guys.
Oh, no. We're not saying you're lying...not at all . I only explained it how I knew it to work on my end. I was just wondering who exactly your buddy claimed to place his order with. I'm not saying you're wrong at all, but I have a feeling it was a Pontiac dealership that kept sending him hats, etc. Again, no dis to you!
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:08 AM   #26
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Yup thats about how it works. Dealers are allocated a certain amount of each car. They can use an allocation slot to order a car to customer's specifications (within limits, depending on manufacturer's policy), modify a car already in the allocation pipeline, or reserve a car in transit from the manufacturer to the dealership. The manufacturer's regional sales and distribution unit will determine allocation numbers, mainly using past sales. So of course, the more sales, the more Camaros, and the more options to get it how you want it. But the more sales, the more people willing to pay good money to be on that list, at least at first. When I worked inventory at a dealership we just had a simple excel list of the person and their car's specifications. If we happened to get allocated a match, then that person was the lucky winner and they got their car. If we had to special order it then it would all depend on when it was made and allocated to us.
I actually find it ridiculous that I couldn't walk into any Chevy dealer and place an order for a Camaro at any time.

So, they tell a dealer 'you're getting X amount of Camaro's, after that your SOL if anyone else wants one'?

A customer should be able to walk in at any time and place an order (assuming they pass credit checks and prove they are serious). It's a guarunteed sale for god's sake!

I can understand a limit for models to be placed on the lot, but there should be no limits to how many orders can be placed on behalf of a paying customer.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #27
Splicerguy

Drives: 2002 trailblazer
I think there may be allocations for the first few months, but that's probably for the FIRST units available to the dealer. The Camaro is not a limited production vehicle, once production is ramped up you should be able to go into any Chevy dealer and have them order one for you. You might have to wait for a few months, but I don't think they'll put limits on production numbers for the car. Remember, they want to sell as many as possible.
Splicerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:26 AM   #28
Gatecrasher
User

Drives: 1994 Stealth R/T Turbo
Quote:
A customer should be able to walk in at any time and place an order (assuming they pass credit checks and prove they are serious). It's a guarunteed sale for god's sake!

I can understand a limit for models to be placed on the lot, but there should be no limits to how many orders can be placed on behalf of a paying customer.
GM can only build and ship so many cars in a given time frame.