Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Cool DIY Install LED SWITCHBACK TURN SIGNALS White DRL and Amber Blinker in one! For RS

This is a DIY for RS camaro switchback turn signal LED lights. Switchback turn signals are white as DRLS but go back to blinking amber when the blinker is applied.

I bought these (discontinued now): http://www.v-leds.com/Shop/Control/P...481/menu_num/2
Along with 2 50w 6ohm resistors and mounting plates.

EDIT: That link doesnt seem to work, so I think these are the only ones that V-LEDS sell, CLICK HERE . Unfortunately, these seem to have 42 leds instead of the 92 led ones I bought. Id call V-Leds or email them to see if they have the other ones, or to check fitment on these, etc.

It does look like the new ones are an improved designed and are probably just as bright or brighter than mine, with an aluminum housing, so I wouldnt worry about the 92 vs 42 led thing.

They are 5000k, 92 LED 3157 size bulbs. V-LED is great quality so far. and 5,000k is nearly a match for the halos.

Steps:
1. Strip back a section (or use a t-tap) of both factory wires on each blinker wire harness.

2. Splice in the resistor across these two factory wires.
- You are splicing the resistor across the amber blinker wire and the negative to simulate a stock bulb, which will make the blinker blink at the correct rate, and keep you from getting a CEL.

3. Find the halo power wire. Purple on the driver's side. Brown/White on the passenger. The wire is on the outside of both sides, with the ground being the opposite side.

4. Strip back a section, and run a new length of wire from the Halo power, to the middle unused part of the blinker harness.

5. You will have to drill a hole through the middle channel of the blinker harness, and run the halo power through it, to power the white LEDs, and keep them on with the halos. If you match your drill bit to the thickness of your wire, then all you should need to do is shove the wire in the new hole, and make sure it is snug, and it will stay in place and make a good contact.

- You should notice that the blinker light harness assembly is two parts that can be separated, do this when drilling.

6. Now you should mount your resistor to the frame or hide it wherever you want, resistors can get hot, but since the blinkers are not on often, these resistors will stay cool most of the time.

7. Now be sure to electrical tape all connections and put any wires back in the wire loom as applicable.

You lights should now be white with the halos and headlights. They should be off when just the fogs/drls are on. And they should turn to just amber for the blinker.

See pictures below
Attached Images

Last edited by vroomapunk; 09-02-2013 at 11:02 AM.
vroomapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
Good job on the write up!

One note on the power resistors...

These are required so that the BCM does not sense that the bulb is burned out. Without them, the car will display an error as well as blink quickly.

The heat sink for these resistors are not needed. That is because almost no current is going through these when the blinker is off. When the blinker is illuminated, current does flow through. Since the blinkers are on and off, and usually only for a short duration, these resistors will rarely even become warm. My suggestion is to hide them however you can.

Any additional details on how you got the middle wire to stay contacted with the bulb wire inside the connector?
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
Good job on the write up!

One note on the power resistors...

These are required so that the BCM does not sense that the bulb is burned out. Without them, the car will display an error as well as blink quickly.

The heat sink for these resistors are not needed. That is because almost no current is going through these when the blinker is off. When the blinker is illuminated, current does flow through. Since the blinkers are on and off, and usually only for a short duration, these resistors will rarely even become warm. My suggestion is to hide them however you can.

Any additional details on how you got the middle wire to stay contacted with the bulb wire inside the connector?
You know what, I thought about that after. I was like, they arent going to get hot because no one drives around with their blinker on all the time. Either way, the aluminum plates made for an easier installation. But maybe I will hide them better the next time im messing around in the engine bay.

Actually I just matched the drill bit up a tad smaller to the wire I was using and shoved it in there, It was a really snug fit, I was planning on adding silicone but I couldnt even pull the wire back out when tugging on it. I taped everything back up with electrical tape. And I used a big enough wire, and left enough extra in the channel that it made a good connection.

I wiggled everything around and all of my connections were tight. On my old car I usually put a bit of solder when I spliced connections, or used real connectors, but I didnt have time last night.

One thing thats weird, is that if you look at the blinker light harness, its actually two pieces. ALmost a mounting piece for the bulb (which has three working poles/contacts) and then the wiring harness that plugs on to that.

So it isnt like I thought before, you arent just trying to get a piece of wire to touch the little lead on the bulb, it is in a female slot, and the bulb mounting piece has the male end, so when they get shoved and locked together theres nowhere for the wire to go.

Just use a decent sized wire. Also thanks man, couldnt have done it without you
Old 01-10-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Heres a video of them working also
Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
sappy

Drives: white 2011 1lt
Legal?
sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:54 PM   #6
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy View Post
Legal?
Ive never heard of anyone having issues with it, and ive specifically asked a few ppl who have them.

A lot of cars have white or blue drls on the front of the car, and also have yellow running lights, that also blink, so I dont see why this would be different.

Cant see any reason for them to be illegal
Old 01-12-2013, 01:55 AM   #7
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
very kewl idea
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
very kewl idea
Thanks bro, got it from pyr0boy a while back, then he made his the car the tron Camaro and it looked even better
Old 01-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Thanks bro, got it from pyr0boy a while back, then he made his the car the tron Camaro and it looked even better
LOL.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #10
sappy

Drives: white 2011 1lt
I have everything already wired for the switchbacks. I bought what I thought were switch backs awhile ago but turned out just to be white while running and blinking... I'm in the military and I got a load of bs every time I would go to base. I'm thinking that as long as they signal amber and run white I will be fine? If anyone knows the law for WA I would be grateful as the MA's on base have nothing better to do and would love paper proof so they stop trying to assert there "base" authority lol
sappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:21 PM   #11
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sappy View Post
I have everything already wired for the switchbacks. I bought what I thought were switch backs awhile ago but turned out just to be white while running and blinking... I'm in the military and I got a load of bs every time I would go to base. I'm thinking that as long as they signal amber and run white I will be fine? If anyone knows the law for WA I would be grateful as the MA's on base have nothing better to do and would love paper proof so they stop trying to assert there "base" authority lol
Im not sure of particular laws. But I cant see a reason the way I have mine configured would be illegal.

They are white (not an illegal color for the front of the car) running all the time. And they blink JUST amber when blinking (they dont alternate amber/white like some out there).

So I dont see an issue. Lots of cars have white, blue, or even amber running lights on the front of the car.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
I can't imagine that they could have a problem with the colors. Many stock automobiles have amber and white on the front. This can't be illegal in any state. The only problem that I can foresee would be that they could claim that they couldn't see your turn signals since the alternating white and white+amber isn't very much contrast. Why not swap them out with the kind that alternate bewteen white and amber?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
I can't imagine that they could have a problem with the colors. Many stock automobiles have amber and white on the front. This can't be illegal in any state. The only problem that I can foresee would be that they could claim that they couldn't see your turn signals since the alternating white and white+amber isn't very much contrast. Why not swap them out with the kind that alternate bewteen white and amber?
That's what I was thinking. I still think he would be fine if they alternated amber/white. But just to be safe, go with alternating amber/off
Old 06-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #14
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
Anyone done this mod on a 2013 yet and verify all of the plugs and wiring are the same?
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote