Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Mother's Wheel Brush Review

If you don't already have a wheel brush, you need to pick this one up. Works wonderfully and still looks exactly as good as it did originally after 6 months of pretty moderate use.

Here is my review on the Mother's wheel brush:

BTW, I did do the wheel barrel later, the pictures are only for the face of the wheel.

Work cut out for the wheel brush on this pretty badly neglected Benz wheel:

One thing I love about the wheel brush is the ergonomic handle as well as the rubber sides that prevent scratching from occurring if you hit the brush against the wheel.

Test subject:

OPC dwelling on wheel:

About to go to town on brake dust:

Looking much better:

Not the best, but decent at cleaning wheel lugs area in this method:

Finished product:

Pros:
  • Cheap
  • Easily rinsable
  • Durable
  • Safe

Cons:
  • Size makes it slightly difficult to clean between spokes

Conclusion:

The best bang for your buck wheel brush. Pick one up now, if you don't already have it. Would recommend to anyone!

Product Link:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mothers-wheel-brush.html

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Nylon?

*We have armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening*
Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #3
jimmy5

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #450
I do all that with a microfiber towel anyway.
jimmy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Nylon?

I believe it is, but it is the softest nylon I've ever felt. I haven't noticed scratching by the brush and I've made comparisons between one side of the wheel having washed it with the brush vs other side of the wheel washed with MF towel. Neither scratched the wheel surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy5 View Post
I do all that with a microfiber towel anyway.
I used to but since I plastidipped my wheels, MF isn't for me. Luckily, I found this brush and even when I could clean normal wheels with MF towels, I use this. Much easier, faster, and just plain less annoying than MF towels on wheels.

Clean with brush, rinse, dry with leafblower. Awesome trifecta on wheel cleaning.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
Old 11-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

I'd give it a shot. Doubt it'd stack up to a real boar's hair brush, but you never know.

Old 11-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Never used a brush, MF cloth and wheel cleaner... I'm tempted to buy a brush though...
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I'd give it a shot. Doubt it'd stack up to a real boar's hair brush, but you never know.

Give it a shot. I'm sticking to synthetic after I got horse hair rubbing off everywhere when I used one of those brushes.

This thing is excellent at cleaning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
Never used a brush, MF cloth and wheel cleaner... I'm tempted to buy a brush though...
If you do buy it, purchase the kit: wheel, tire, and fender wheel brush. All of them are excellent and I would highly recommend!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Although Nylon bristles may be ok for wheel cleaning, I wouldn't use anything (brush wise) but Boar's Hair on the faces. Higher quality bristles = less chance of damage being induced during your wash experience.

That said, factory wheels should be treated differently than aftermarket, powdercoated, or custom painted wheels. Adam's has a complete line of wheel care tools to enhance your cleaning ability.

For back barrels, Adam's Turbostick or Adam's Wheel Woolies make life easy. For the faces, Adam's Boulder Blonde Boar's Hair Wheel Brush is safe, and effective.

My personal key to wheel maintenance is having a nice Sealant on your wheels to make your weekly, bi-weekly, daily wash, whatever, that much easier. Adam's Quick Sealant is paramount for me in this category.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #9
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

I have not noticed any scratching with the brush

Old 11-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
my biggest issue is finding a wheel brush that has shorter bristles to get inside the wheel wells. with lover profile tires and very little room around the area between the wells and tires you can't find a brush that goes in there easily, always forcing the brush head in there. was thinking of buying an extra brush like the mothers and cutting the bristles down to half the length.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #11
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshaf View Post
my biggest issue is finding a wheel brush that has shorter bristles to get inside the wheel wells. with lover profile tires and very little room around the area between the wells and tires you can't find a brush that goes in there easily, always forcing the brush head in there. was thinking of buying an extra brush like the mothers and cutting the bristles down to half the length.
mother's has a wheel well brush

In fact, this kit is extremely great value http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-tire...brush-kit.html

Old 11-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
mother's has a wheel well brush

In fact, this kit is extremely great value http://www.autogeek.net/mothers-tire...brush-kit.html

bristles are too long IMO, already have one like it, need it to have shorter bristles, nice try thou

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Quote:
bristles are too long IMO, already have one like it, need it to have shorter bristles, nice try thou
looks like you might have to try your cutting method and let me know how it works out!

Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #14
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
You want wheel woolies.

*Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety*