Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-04-2009, 07:13 AM   #1
ItIsWhatItIs

Drives: #5 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Stripes / swirls and scratches

So I had gloss black stripes painted on my Camaro at the dealership. My question is how do I clean and wax them without causing swirls and scratches. Would appreciate some professional help in this area. They were baked and clearcoated. Thanks in advance!
ItIsWhatItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:00 PM   #2
ItIsWhatItIs

Drives: #5 Tom Henry Racing 2010 2SS/RS
Any takers on the question?
ItIsWhatItIs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
sav1

Drives: 2009 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItIsWhatItIs View Post
So I had gloss black stripes painted on my Camaro at the dealership. My question is how do I clean and wax them without causing swirls and scratches. Would appreciate some professional help in this area. They were baked and clearcoated. Thanks in advance!
That was my big question with the paint is swirl marks. Im NO PRO but, After completing my Wash/clay/polish I think I have it down. wash with 2 buckets of water. clean water bucket with soap and the rinse bucket. clean one panel, dunk mit into rinse bucket. Use gentle stokes. What you actually rub the paint with is important. Alot of guys recommend mits (sheepskin or micofiber). More importantly drying.. Make sure you have 100% cotton towles (american made preferably), I couldnt find usa made so I went to Macy's and got their most luxurios towels and they worked well. I used the blot method for drying, simply laid the towel on a wet spot and picked it up. These methods are a pain in the a$$, but if you don't want swirls you have to do it. Heres my work http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30897 . I'm sure We'll all have a few swirls, but lets reduce them, and keep polish on. Good luck.
sav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #4
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
First step; make sure and use a good quality wash mitt, applicator, and towel.

Second step; look for a good quality wax/polish, as well as a product for removing/hiding swirl marks. Black is very unforgiving, and as hard as you may try, "blemishes" are inevitable.

I'd wash the car, and get a good coat of wax/polish on the stripes asap.

And remember, the more you "touch" the paint, the more the possibility of swirl marks, etc., increases.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote