Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-05-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Npp open vs kooks straight through

I'm curious how the npp exhaust in open mode would sound noise wise vs the kooks little straight through mufflers. I have the full kooks system 1-7/8 lth, no cats, X pipe, and then the little kooks mufflers. While I love it, it is very loud when pulling out of garage or parking. Also the setup of my neighborhood makes it so it echos offer every house. So I'm thinking if I put the npp mufflers on I can come and go quietly when needed and leave them open the rest of the time. I found very little info on the inner flow of the npp mufflers. Thanks for any help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Drives: 1LE LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell239 View Post
I'm curious how the npp exhaust in open mode would sound noise wise vs the kooks little straight through mufflers. I have the full kooks system 1-7/8 lth, no cats, X pipe, and then the little kooks mufflers. While I love it, it is very loud when pulling out of garage or parking. Also the setup of my neighborhood makes it so it echos offer every house. So I'm thinking if I put the npp mufflers on I can come and go quietly when needed and leave them open the rest of the time. I found very little info on the inner flow of the npp mufflers. Thanks for any help!

If you love it why change it? Has anybody complained ? If not I'd keep it. I run open headers, I know loud, I sometimes get a guilty feeling but when I'm at a red light and everybody's Eco-friendly car pulls up next to me and surrounds me I remember why I did it, to be different. I remember being in my moms scion hearing a C6 Vette blow by her and falling in love with that sound. Very soon cars like these will go once the CAFE rules really crack down. Enjoy the sound.
BlueN20Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post
If you love it why change it? Has anybody complained ? If not I'd keep it. I run open headers, I know loud, I sometimes get a guilty feeling but when I'm at a red light and everybody's Eco-friendly car pulls up next to me and surrounds me I remember why I did it, to be different. I remember being in my moms scion hearing a C6 Vette blow by her and falling in love with that sound. Very soon cars like these will go once the CAFE rules really crack down. Enjoy the sound.
Do you have cats? And are u just running a straight pipe all the way back or what?
Old 12-05-2015, 03:33 PM   #4
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
You could replace the mufflers with some cherry bombs... would cut it down a bit, but not too much.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
I'm liking the idea of being able to shut it quiet with a switch for the times I need it to be then open it up again once I'm able to.

Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Man View Post
Do you have cats? And are u just running a straight pipe all the way back or what?
No pipes. Just headers, that's it not even cats.
Old 12-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #7
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueN20Camaro View Post
No pipes. Just headers, that's it not even cats.
Doesn't that vibrate your whole interior? Not a daily driver I'm guessing. Bet it sounds awesome though. Never heard a car that loud on the street.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:02 PM   #8
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Doesn't that vibrate your whole interior? Not a daily driver I'm guessing. Bet it sounds awesome though. Never heard a car that loud on the street.
It is my daily I have two cars but I love my 1LE and yeah things vibrate but I just have a knife,wallet and iPod not much.
Old 12-05-2015, 09:13 PM   #9
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Bet it gets a lot of compliments. Anyone on the road ever get mad at u or say something?? Cause I ran open headers with highflows connected for a drive when changing exhausts and dang...

But I do plan on getting Noweed diverts
Old 12-05-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Bet it gets a lot of compliments. Anyone on the road ever get mad at u or say something?? Cause I ran open headers with highflows connected for a drive when changing exhausts and dang...

But I do plan on getting Noweed diverts
Lmao I've gotten mainly positives if you want Pm me your email I'll send you a clip I do scare people turning it on
Old 12-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #11
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Oh yea I scare people all the time with my longtubes and muffler delete. Recently a guy was riding his bike on the side walk and I happened to start it right as he was beside the rear. I could tell he got mad he stuck his hand out or something lol
Old 12-05-2015, 09:43 PM   #12
BlueN20Camaro
Banned

Quote:
Oh yea I scare people all the time with my longtubes and muffler delete. Recently a guy was riding his bike on the side walk and I happened to start it right as he was beside the rear. I could tell he got mad he stuck his hand out or something lol
Try open headers it's 6 bolts and your done
Old 06-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
PH3688
Marines are ghey

Drives: A car
I'm resurrecting this thread because I long for my 1le to have open headers again. I drove 5 months straight. And my God this cars true sound isn't a exhaust system. I've had people pull their phones out taking pics, videos, people saying "go go go!" Hell even had two construction dudes in their van filming and thumbs upping for 3 miles. Now that I welded a stainless steel mid pipe to connect the npp exhaust it just isn't the same anymore. This car comes alive with open headers and it should truly be that way in my eyes. Man the vibrations noise how specific you can tell there's an ls or lest a GM engine in there. God makes me wanna fap.
Old 06-08-2016, 11:01 AM   #14
Gearheaded

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PH3688 View Post
I'm resurrecting this thread because I long for my 1le to have open headers again. I drove 5 months straight. And my God this cars true sound isn't a exhaust system. I've had people pull their phones out taking pics, videos, people saying "go go go!" Hell even had two construction dudes in their van filming and thumbs upping for 3 miles. Now that I welded a stainless steel mid pipe to connect the npp exhaust it just isn't the same anymore. This car comes alive with open headers and it should truly be that way in my eyes. Man the vibrations noise how specific you can tell there's an ls or lest a GM engine in there. God makes me wanna fap.
I have Kooks LT's, factory H, and NPP mufflers. Always get compliments, it's definitely loud, and I like it, but I don't "love" it. I thought about doing a resonated X, but I haven't pulled the plug on anything yet.
2009 YZF R1 - Race bike (road course)(totaled racing)
2008 YZF R6 - Race bike (road course)(still own)
Gearheaded is offline   Reply With Quote