Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 01-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
RockNCamaro

Drives: 1997 RS Camaro
Help me decide - Convertible or Hard Top

Gents, fellow Camaro fans like myself, I find myself in a dilemma and hopefully you guys can help me decide...

A little background, I have a 1997 Base model Black Chevy Camaro. My first car, my baby whom outlasted my marriage. More dependable and longer lasting. Anyways, I digress...I would like to buy a new 2SS camaro but yet I am still undecided on what type to get. I have never owned a convertible and I asked for advice from couple people whom have owned Coverts in the past and they advised against me buying one. They said that it is very loud driving in a convertible and if living in cold environments it's also uncomfortable.

So even though I am leaning towards the convert, I am still not 100% convinced. I also would like to keep the purchase price out the door under 40k which I think is doable by the end of this year when they start getting rid of 2011 models. I m stationed at Ft Irwin CA, which is in south Cali and I have two more years there. I am expecting moving to Idaho which has cold winters.

My other concern is if I am losing on performance. I mean buying this car is mostly because I love them so much, but also other reasons are to facilitate increase in panty dropping , (gigady) to enjoy a nice scenic drive on the beach but more than anything to smoke Mustangs on the road. So please let me have your wise opinions, and I thanks for your advice.

Camaro fo life!
RockNCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:23 PM   #2
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I will never buy a ragtop. only hard top convertable or nothing.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #3
shawn18
OWTATIME

Drives: 1969 CaRaMo
I personaly would not buy a convertible. I think it just comes down to which one you want the most , but with the money you would save by buying a coupe you could do alot of things to your car. Good luck either way and Welcome to C5!!
Old 01-17-2011, 02:26 PM   #4
04Ram2500Hemi

Drives: 04 Ram 2500 & 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Honestly I don't think you could go wrong either way. I prefer the looks of the hard top when you look at the covertible with the top up, but the top down it is straight out sexy. I can't fault you for going either direction. If it was me, I'd stick with the hardtop I have, but mainly because I live in Montana and in the spring when the car comes out it's going to be too cold to use it, and it will stay that way until July. It just wouldn't be worth the extra money to me, but if I could use it more that might be different.
04Ram2500Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
ron10

Drives: 2010 2SS IOM L99
i'm not a vert.type guy.hardtop or coupe for me.
ron10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
G10
GForce

Drives: 2010 Honolulu Blue 2LT M6
I think the Hard tops look a lot nicer. I'd go for the happy medium and get the hard top with a sunroof.
G10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
When they call the Corvette plant and ask them how to put the XM/ONSTAR antenna in the mirrors...then the convertible will be on my list. Until then, that MOLE on the back of the trunk lid is just wrong. HATE THE PLACEMENT OF THE SHARK FIN.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #8
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by G10 View Post
I think the Hard tops look a lot nicer. I'd go for the happy medium and get the hard top with a sunroof.

good compromise..... I don't like the vert flex, especially if you plan on spirited driving
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #9
mpate16

Drives: 2012 Camaro LSX 2LT RS
hard top!
mpate16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I've spent a great deal of time in both the Coupe and Convertible. They are both awesome in their own right. But in order to make the Convertible as awesome as it is, there is additional structural elements added which adds mass and ever so slightly impacts performance.

Simply put, it depends only on whether you love Convertibles. If you do that is your answer. The Camaro Convertible is as nice as any GM convertible I've driven, and I've driven all of them in the last 15 years or so. But if you have doubts or would only use it rarely or view it as a "nice to have" rather than a "gotta have" you might want to get the Coupe.

Frankly I would be torn. I really enjoyed our trip to Florida in the Convertible. There were really no trade offs. A truly awesome car. I guess I am torn because they are both so good in their own way it would be hard to pick. I know I truly enjoy our Sky with the top down. It's just awesome. I am really surprised at how many say they wouldn't ever consider a Convertible. I mean I can understand a preference to the Coupe, but you have to admit a top down summer cruise is pretty nice with the top down even just once in a while.

And by the way, why is it you guys will buy a Coupe with the Shark Fin on the roof, but ^&*( up a storm because it's on the decklid of the Convertible? Really? You'll buy a Coupe with it on the roof but refuse a Convertible with it on the decklid? Really?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:49 PM   #11
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Everyone who has never had a convertible and advises against it can't really make a convincing argument. My first car was a 95 convertible Z28, I then moved on to a hard top 98 SS, then a t-top 99 WS6 trans am and finally I am going back to the convertible after trying all three.
If you want a race car buy a hard top no sun roof. I didn't like the t-top car, it was cool at first but having to get out and put the t-tops in the trunk got old real fast, along with not ever having a trunk. Now, the convertible, let me tell you, it turns the most heads and you mentioned a panty dropper, nothing beats a convertible, it's facilitation of dropping the panties was easily twice as much as my hard top. I know from experience!
I have missed my convertible ever since my friend wrecked it 13 years ago, I figured the SS would easily replace it, but it didn't. I figured the t-top WS6 would also, but it didn't. Now I am weeks away from having another convertible and I am beside myself with happiness!
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #12
KEEP RT
Wonderfully Awful Idea

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
HT only not even a SR.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
RSokie
Proud owner of Litho #195

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Hard top for me also.
RSokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:07 PM   #14
EM1/SS

Drives: 11 2SS/RS M6 vert
My wife has a VW convertible and loves it. The noise really isn't a problem and it's so nice to be able to put the top down on a nice day. I like it so much I'm ordering a 2SS convertible. I have my truck for a daily driver but plan on driving it a lot in the summer.
EM1/SS is offline   Reply With Quote