Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 07-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #57
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
I will say this....running anything with an LS7 down a 1/4 mile or around any track would be a blast.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:05 PM   #58
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Well . . . I guess you could make the U-turn onto the return road sooner and faster than just about anything else that showed up . . .

norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:11 PM   #59
mkorgan

Drives: 1970-1/2 Z-28, 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
A pretty solid performance and probably driver aided from practice and experience. Just not sure how a Z/28 beats you and your car by another .8 seconds with 300 pounds being the only advantage.

If you want a drag car that is what the COPO was built for. The Z/28 was built for the less straight track.
I agree. I think the torque of the LSA over the LS7 is going to offset any weight loss the Z/28 has over the ZL1 in 1/4 mile. I have driven both the LS7 and obviously my LSA and while the LS7 does wind higher and is fun to drive, the LSA feels to me as if it pulls stronger up to redline through the first 4 gears. Just my personal experience and by no means is scientific.
mkorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #60
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
If you want a drag car that is what the COPO was built for. The Z/28 was built for the less straight track.
This, exactly.

I doubt that any of the corner-carvers ever talked about modding the COPO away from its stated purpose to suit their preferences, or the Cobra Jet either for that matter . . . I know I didn't and never would have.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:56 PM   #61
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSpade22 View Post
My SS is an auto (built 4L80e); I don’t know why everyone is always talking down about autos at the strip. My times are always consistent (6.60 in the 1/8th on 20in wheels with a 1.50 60ft time) while my manual buddies are all over the place.

I would be willing to bet that GM makes an automatic version of the Z/28 just like they did the SS, and I doubt anyone will be taking the badges off it
This has nothing to do with automatics and drag racing. This is about road racing so an automatic doesn't make sense for the Z/28 and it would be stupid for GM to add an auto for the Z/28.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #62
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Its not a simple percentage, but that is a much more accurate rule of thumb than a static figure is.

You are probably thinking of the power that it takes to accelerate a wheel or drive shaft, and its true that these things take only a fixed amount of power to be accelerated (until you swap them out for something different of course). But the instant that they are up to speed, they no longer rob anything of any power (and they also 'release' power as you try and decelerate). This does not hold true for the gears in the transmission & differential, or the half-shafts going out to the wheels, or the bearings or tire flex any of the other sources of friction. Those losses can be approximated as a percentage of input power, though in reality its a somewhat complex curve that depends on a number of factors. Point being, if you run your car stock on a chassis dyno and calculate that it lost 55 hp ... don't assume that after you've supercharged it its still only losing 55 hp.
I'm not going to ruin this already awesome thread any more but there is no percentage, period.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #63
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
A pretty solid performance and probably driver aided from practice and experience. Just not sure how a Z/28 beats you and your car by another .8 seconds with 300 pounds being the only advantage.

The Z/28 is being built for fast drivers, and 300 lbs is not the only advantage. The Z/28 also has less unsprung rotating weight on the axles so it takes less hp to get rolling. It probably has better aerodynamics. But then it's SPECIFICALLY designed and configured for road course so whatever it may do in the 1/4 is a dining table statistic and of no real interest to its intended market.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #64
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
The COPO is not street legal and cannot be registered or insured for street use. It's a true race car. I know it will never happen; but if GM offered an auto in the Z/28 I would buy one in a heartbeat. Even with the added weight of the auto those weight reduction mods would pay also pay dividends in the 1/4 mile.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #65

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
That's an 11.76 1/4..if anyone cares...
with YOU driving? eh?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #66
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
All of you who want to take the new Z/28 to the drag strip better have some money set aside for rearend repairs.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #67
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
with YOU driving? eh?
Just for reference.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #68
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
All of you who want to take the new Z/28 to the drag strip better have some money set aside for rearend repairs.
I don't think it's that inferior. Unless that's your primary reason for buying it...and that would be disturbing...
Old 07-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #69
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
We ran a 1LE-based Gen-4 Firebird with a supercharged AFR-headed 383 LT1 (490 RWHP) for 5 seasons and 25,000 One Lap miles on the Australian rear axle, before it finally broke. NO R-compound or DR-type tires and about 25 TOTAL 1/4-mile runs. It was then upgraded to a Chev 12-bolt (lighter and less friction loss than a Ford 9").

The 1LE carrier and axles are stronger than the old Aussie log axle...but it is NOT as robust (or heavy) as the ZL1 set-up, which must handle almost 20% more torque than the Z06-tuned LS7.

AGAIN...when GM refers to "Z/28 track performance", they are SPECIFICALLY speaking about road course action (without static or Le Mans-type starts!).

Will a Z/28 acquaint itself well at the strip? Probably...but that is NOT its intended environment...

fwiw...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:10 AM   #70
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
We ran a 1LE-based Gen-4 Firebird with a supercharged AFR-headed 383 LT1 (490 RWHP) for 5 seasons and 25,000 One Lap miles on the Australian rear axle, before it finally broke. NO R-compound or DR-type tires and about 25 TOTAL 1/4-mile runs. It was then upgraded to a Chev 12-bolt (lighter and less friction loss than a Ford 9").

The 1LE carrier and axles are stronger than the old Aussie log axle...but it is NOT as robust (or heavy) as the ZL1 set-up, which must handle almost 20% more torque than the Z06-tuned LS7.

AGAIN...when GM refers to "Z/28 track performance", they are SPECIFICALLY speaking about road course action (without static or Le Mans-type starts!).

Will a Z/28 acquaint itself well at the strip? Probably...but that is NOT its intended environment...

fwiw...
Exactly! Just like the first gen. Z/28 was designed with track/road courses in mind for it's intended environment and not the drag strip. And some people were able to make the first gen. Z/28 a great drag car is spite of it's purpose built function of being a road course car, that too is likely to happen with the fifth gen. Z/28, but that is totally outside of it's original design and intended function.
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote