Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 PM   #1121
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Hey Number 3 we miss your insight!
Shhhhhhhhh. I am sneaking this project through GM behind his back or maybe he is just looking the other way. Shhhhhhhhh
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #1122
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'd LOVE to drool over such a beast....but there's no way I'd ever be able to afford (or use) something like that! Call it.......I dunno.....the P28 or something...but not Z28....imvhaso (in my very humble and scared opinion)

1. Never is a very long time
2. It is amazing what you can get uZed to
3. A DREAM Z/28 should be feared
Old 09-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #1123
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
Pete, this Chicago Croation LOVES this...MAKE IT SO!

Where do I sign?
After we drink the Slivovitz!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 PM   #1124
Huggerorange73
Banned

Drives: The REAL C5
Send a message via AIM to Huggerorange73
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
After we drink the Slivovitz!
I'm pretty sure the Z28 could run off Slivovitz...I know my go kart as a kid did.
Huggerorange73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 05:15 AM   #1125
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Off topic: I have been to Chicago on a couple of occasions and I have two questions. First, what is up with all the baseball fields? I swear I counted at least 50 fields in pretty much close proximity. Second, what is up with the "Disco Tunnel" at O'Hare, I'm not puttin' it down... I actually moon walked the moving floor everytime I go out for a cigarette. I voted O'Hare the worst airport in the US until I went into Philly but Philly does have a giant, man made clock made from Yuengling bottles.

On topic: In my opinion, full Pedders suspension used in the Camaro vs. Mustang is equivalent to what GT3 in FIA runs or similar to SCCA's GTS class (quite possibly higher). I always question manufactures choices when they opt for lesser spring/shock systems. I don't understand why manufacturers don't use equipment from the aftermarket (making it non-aftermarket) like tires and such. SVT uses Fox equipment on the Raptor so I hope that barrier is finally being overcome. I know cost is an issue, but if you look at OEM vs. the cost of a single shock assembly from the AM there really isn't much of a difference especially if you figure in wholesale prices of the AM. The issue definitely isn't with quality, maybe quantity but not quality...

That brings me to another point, maybe the LS7 cannot support a 5000-10,000 unit production capacity. I don't know for sure, but I believe that Z06 production is about 1000 a year possibly less, it very well may be too many to actually fit the bill. It could ultimately limit the Z28 even more than what GM would be aiming for... 750 Z28's at $45,000 MSRP and these things wouldn't last 2 months if every single unit was produced prior to the SS. The Z28 would most likely have to be a mid-year model released in late winter/early spring so the racing hopefuls had their vehicles for the start of the season.

Last edited by thePill; 09-21-2011 at 05:25 AM.
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:17 AM   #1126
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Pill, Page 34, Post 837 should give you some insight as to potential LS7 build capabilities, with regard to a potential "ZEE"...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #1127
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

The only thing about this ad:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172696

Wouldn't a suitable final frame be that azz-out shot of the ZL1 following a ballz-to-the-wall ZEE!?!
Old 09-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #1128
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Z06, sure ! Just kidding with ya guys.
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #1129
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huggerorange73 View Post
I'm pretty sure the Z28 could run off Slivovitz...I know my go kart as a kid did.
SlivovitZ at the Indy host hotel. We have to be very careful becuase if we spill on a Camaro it will stip the paint.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:28 PM   #1130
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
The only thing about this ad:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172696

Wouldn't a suitable final frame be that azz-out shot of the ZL1 following a ballz-to-the-wall ZEE!?!
ZL1 Z06 Z/28

ZL1 close but not too close to a Z06. The Z06 not yet in the turn. Z/28 coming out of the apex
Old 09-21-2011, 04:28 PM   #1131
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
ZL1 Z06 Z/28

ZL1 close but not too close to a Z06. The Z06 not yet in the turn. Z/28 coming out of the apex
...and G O N E ! ! ! ! !

Old 09-21-2011, 08:58 PM   #1132
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
Off topic: I have been to Chicago on a couple of occasions and I have two questions. First, what is up with all the baseball fields? I swear I counted at least 50 fields in pretty much close proximity. Second, what is up with the "Disco Tunnel" at O'Hare, I'm not puttin' it down... I actually moon walked the moving floor everytime I go out for a cigarette. I voted O'Hare the worst airport in the US until I went into Philly but Philly does have a giant, man made clock made from Yuengling bottles.

On topic: In my opinion, full Pedders suspension used in the Camaro vs. Mustang is equivalent to what GT3 in FIA runs or similar to SCCA's GTS class (quite possibly higher). I always question manufactures choices when they opt for lesser spring/shock systems. I don't understand why manufacturers don't use equipment from the aftermarket (making it non-aftermarket) like tires and such. SVT uses Fox equipment on the Raptor so I hope that barrier is finally being overcome. I know cost is an issue, but if you look at OEM vs. the cost of a single shock assembly from the AM there really isn't much of a difference especially if you figure in wholesale prices of the AM. The issue definitely isn't with quality, maybe quantity but not quality...

That brings me to another point, maybe the LS7 cannot support a 5000-10,000 unit production capacity. I don't know for sure, but I believe that Z06 production is about 1000 a year possibly less, it very well may be too many to actually fit the bill. It could ultimately limit the Z28 even more than what GM would be aiming for... 750 Z28's at $45,000 MSRP and these things wouldn't last 2 months if every single unit was produced prior to the SS. The Z28 would most likely have to be a mid-year model released in late winter/early spring so the racing hopefuls had their vehicles for the start of the season.
Automakers are only interested in the bottom line and the average driver doesn't know the difference between a stock SS and an SS with high performance aftermarket parts.

I agree with you 100% though, if you're going to build muscle cars do it right or make these options available to those that are willing to pay for them straight from the dealership rather than the headache of having to peel off every single layer of the vehicle to get the expected performance.

Another part of the problem is people still believe the factory junk is better than the aftermarket "pro" parts, and as long as people believe that you won't see "real" performance parts in north american high performance vehicles.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #1133
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post

As I recall, they were expecting a demand of about 12,000 units a year for the LS7 (1/3 of Corvette sales were hoped to be Z06s).And while the plant has added some LS3s, the LS9, and crate engines to their lineup, they are still far below their capacity. So it isn't really a problem for them to make ~5000 engines for Z28s there.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 02:51 PM   #1134
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

As an answer to varied questions/comments regarding LS7'd Z/28s, their desirability...and "unofficial corporate feedback"...please peruse this thread, resurrected from l-o-n-g ago. This is the first tread I created, in the General Camaro Section, in April/09 when I first arrived here in the midst of Gen-5 Camaro mayhem. Shortly after Oshawa production commenced...

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19666

Uneditted...unscientific...no price parameters...just a "question" to be answered. Which sadly remains unanswered...

With deference to Family Feud (a version of which we've had, here...), "Survey sez!"

I believe the #1 answer was LS7...

"Signature SEZ?!" Absent, at that time...

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro