Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 03-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #71
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR guy View Post
...Those funny looking formed washers in the engine bay that stick up 1/2" above the strut towers are the strut retainers. If they were not there, the struts would literally fall out if you jacked the car up. ...
What I don't get, on my car at least, is if I jack it up the those funny looking formed washers don't sit on the to of the fender? They are about 1/8" off of it, so I still don't get why there are marks from them hitting the fender.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #72
blackswan

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
Found out from my dealership that GM made as to date 3 revisions of the strut mount so far if this helps. My personal belief is that this popping sound originates from within the 2010s and early 2011s strut mounts making it hard to distinguish where the noise came from. Try going to the parts dept. give the parts guy a vin of say a 2012 SS and get the strut mount for that 2012 application and maybe this would fix the problem.
Don't bother, my 2012 makes the noise.
blackswan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #73
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Drives: Drives a 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Same here, I ask this question awhile back,they have to be traveling up and down the full length of the strut to have it come against the strut tower leaving those black circle on the tower.Almost want you to believe the struts is bottoming out and sounds like a defective strut.I just don't get it.I'll find out if the insulator helps in a week or so when the dealer replaces them,I will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
What I don't get, on my car at least, is if I jack it up the those funny looking formed washers don't sit on the to of the fender? They are about 1/8" off of it, so I still don't get why there are marks from them hitting the fender.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #74
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by STINGER BEE View Post
Same here, I ask this question awhile back,they have to be traveling up and down the full length of the strut to have it come against the strut tower leaving those black circle on the tower.Almost want you to believe the struts is bottoming out and sounds like a defective strut.I just don't get it.I'll find out if the insulator helps in a week or so when the dealer replaces them,I will keep you posted.
The retaining plates articulate when the front wheels turn. Have some one start your car and turn the wheels side to side while you watch the retaining plates from the front of the car. You'll see where the black marks come from.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #75
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Pete, what do you mean by articulate,you mean they actually don't move evenly cw/ccw as you turn the steering wheel,theirs quite a gap there and for it to scuff against the tower,this is normal for this type of front system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The retaining plates articulate when the front wheels turn. Have some one start your car and turn the wheels side to side while you watch the retaining plates from the front of the car. You'll see where the black marks come from.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #76
JusticePete

Quote:
Pete, what do you mean by articulate,you mean they actually don't move evenly cw/ccw as you turn the steering wheel,theirs quite a gap there and for it to scuff against the tower,this is normal for this type of front system.
The retaining plate, for lack of a better description, has a wobbly orbit. That is why they need space between the plate and top of the strut tower.

NOTE: When I say wobbly orbit I do NOT mean to imply they are loose, a poor design or anything else that could be construed as negative. I am just trying to describe the motion.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:44 PM   #77
STINGER BEE
2010RS/SS RUMBLEBEE

Thanks! that explains the marks it if this retainer wobbles, alright,so you should see those marks on all the cars then,so if camaro owners say they don't have the marks they are not admitting it is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
The retaining plate, for lack of a better description, has a wobbly orbit. That is why they need space between the plate and top of the strut tower.

NOTE: When I say wobbly orbit I do NOT mean to imply they are loose, a poor design or anything else that could be construed as negative. I am just trying to describe the motion.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #78
JusticePete

Quote:
Thanks! that explains the marks it if this retainer wobbles, alright,so you should see those marks on all the cars then,so if camaro owners say they don't have the marks they are not admitting it is happening.
The more aggressively you drive the more distinct the marks will be as the plate orbit shifts faster
Old 10-01-2012, 12:27 PM   #79
shindiggsxr

Drives: Black
Watch this!

Check out the metal washers and how there is no gap after install.

shindiggsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #80
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by shindiggsxr View Post

Why would no gap be a good thing?
Old 10-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #81
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Seems to me that with no gap and no flex then the shaft on your strut will get bound up and fail over time. Turn your wheels sideways and look at the retaining washer. Somethings will be bound up if you take that gap away. Unless the material filling that gap is really flexible and softer. Which that doesn't appear to be.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #82
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Seems to me that with no gap and no flex then the shaft on your strut will get bound up and fail over time. Turn your wheels sideways and look at the retaining washer. Somethings will be bound up if you take that gap away.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #83
shindiggsxr

Drives: Black
Strut noise
shindiggsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #84
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Strut noise
I get that. But still doesn't change the fact that eliminating that gap to a non-flexing filler will cause binding in the strut shaft and seal. In my opinion, and my opinion only, to bring up that solving a strut noise problem with a fix that could cause a seal failure later is worth mentioning.