Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-06-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
700 mile Camaro Convertible review...

9 days.... 9 days ago I took delivery of over 5 years of dreams! This car is NOT a daily driver for me, and I did work (almost) a full week this week, but in these past 9 days, I've put over 700 miles on my 2011 Summit White 2SS Vert, driving coast-to-coast in central Florida's sunshine and 80 degree temps! (Not a bad B-Day present to myself, huh?)

Anyway, as many of you have read my previous posts, both good and bad, I figured I've had my ride long enough to give a solid, objective opinion. I am in no way, shape or form a "gear-head" (not criticizing those, simply stating my place) nor am I completely car-illiterate, I know enough to tinker with the car, engine, body, etc myself, but also know my limitations. I'm an early 30s blue-collar worker, who's never owned a "fast" car and is about as objective as anyone can be.

From day 1, the first thing I noticed (after picking up my jaw from the ground, in sheer awe at the cars beauty) was how HEAVY it was. I've owned other Camaros (92, 99) driven Mustangs (at length- not my fault- work!) 08' ,10'- vert particularily, and numerous other cars... and no mistakeing it- the Camaro is heavy! However, heavy as it may be- it hugs the corners, feels "solid" and "safe" and make no mistake- it MOVES! Heavy? Yes, but it's got the power to back it up... I'm just starting to mess with the traction control button, screetching the tires, etc... but regardless of what mode the car is in- it has power. I've been up to about 95 mph so far, and I did not feel any shake whatsoever. The car felt as sturdy and stable as anything I've ever driven with a top. While the bracings may be a pain for exhaust swaps- they definitely work well for stability. Even in the rain, I had no traction issues and felt safe, secure and in control as I careened around hwy 60 at 80+ mph...

Comfort wise- you really can't ask for more in the driver seat. My wife says it's much more comy in the passenger side than my former 'Maros. However, I will note this- the rear seat behind me (who stands at 6'0") is absolutely USELESS. I never paid much attention to the coupe rear seats, but I have to believe the convertible top thinned out the avaliable room in the back. The front seat stops at a certain tilt degree (I'd prefer about an inch or 2 more lean, myself) but I believe it's because it would hit the sides of the rear passenger compartment. Doesn't really appear like theres any way around that- it's the nature of the convertibles design. Overall- I (driver) absolutely love it, the wife (passenger) likes it and my 9 yr old, (rear pass) loves it, so all good there. (I've got to mention too- the HUD is really, really cool! I was afraid it would be in the way, or distracting- it's awesome, absolutely love it! And the "Chevy laser show" opening display is priceless!)

Fuel efficency... well... its a 6.2 liter engine... I'm at an averege of 17.4 mpg. I've driven pretty conservitively, trying to keep the rpms between 1.5-2.5 just to break it in, and see where my mpgs are... not saying that I havent broken it open a few times here or there, but for the most part (80% of the time) I've been ultra conservative. And with a LOT of hwy driving, I'm a bit disappointed, but I didn't buy this car for efficiency, so I'm not complaining.

The stereo/HVAC-
Well, being the 2SS, I've got the "Upgraded" sound system. Honestly- with the top down at speed, it's a bit quiet. It's crystal clear, and the bass has a good, solid punch (not a deep, rumple, but a solid punch) which I'm sure is helped by the relocation of the subwoofer to the center, rear seat. At city speeds, and especially with the top up, its great- pleanty loud. But I missed some of the volume, trying to sing along at hwy speed. The steering wheel could use a station control. Volume and source is great, but I still have to reach for the head unit to change songs, stations ets... The HVAC works great- heat is HOT and cold is COLD... no complaints there, whatsoever.

Speeking of sound; driving with the top UP- is incredible. Granted, it's dark, and the front headliner looks a bit odd, but there is almost ZERO wind noise driving, even upwards of 85 mph! I noticed a slight... SLIGHT wind whisper from the front drivers window, where it meets the windshield, but nothing remotely close to the noise of the 10' Mustang!

NOW- on a scale of 1-10, I'm giving this car a solid 9... the following are the reasons it's not a perfect 10...

The Tanneau cover SUCKS! I've got a whole thread dedicated to this issue. I've gotten better with it, but it still is a constant distraction. For those who haven't read it- the cover does NOT secure well. I've had to pull off the hwy, numerous times to reattach it before it flys off. I think I've finally got it down, and am currently working on a minor mod to make it more efficient, but still- I don't feel safe over 80 mph with it... I know, I know... where is there a speed limit in access of 80 mph? But damn it- say I'm at a track- I want my Tanneu cover to stay on!!!! After 9 days- I'm constantly looking in my rear view evaluating the stability of the cover, instead of enjoying the ride. It's a distraction and it takes away from the driving experience. Thats a big let down. And forget about driving without it. For those with a 1SS or 1LT that do not come with it- BUY IT. The wind ripples through the cloth top like CRAZY without the cover... I can only imagine the long term damage without the tanneau... It's a shame too- (not that I like promoting Ford) but the Mustangs had a "hard" front pannel on their verts top- so even without the tanneau cover, the exposed portion was rigid, and therefore never effected by the wind. Watching the exposed portion of the cloth top ripple with the wind made me shudder in my Camaro...

I've also had issues with the driver door window indexing... it seems that if I "gently" close the door, the window stayes lowered (which won't respond to the controls then), however, if I close it harder, its fine. Minor issue, not a huge concern.

Closing/Opening the top is a little cumbersome. The Handle is stiff and resistent. It's not an easy flow, gentle turn system. I'd almost compare it to opening/closing the hatch to a submerine... there's resistence, and it takes some effort! Gotta give my former Ford an edge on that one- it may sound more convenient having only one latch, but the 2 latches on the Ford operated much easier (and thus quicker) than the Chevy. Sorry... but it's true. And, not that it matters much, but don;t rely on opening/closing the top at a traffic light... pull off the road- your NOT gonna make it; it's S-L-O-W... (But agian- issue? No... just pointing it out!)

Trunk space... ehhh... its a convertible Camaro... did you really buy it for trunk space??? I hope not- cuz theres NONE there! We got 1 duffle bag, and a gym bag in there for our trip. It does extend back a good way, (with about a 6" height clearance,) but that's very limited, however it did come in handy for us. Plan accordingly.

SO... at the end of the (ninth) day... I've got to say- from a "normal" person/driver's standpoint- I LOVE my Camaro convertible. I know I may sound negative here, but look at what I've got to nit-pick on... that's the worst I could find in 9 days/700+ miles, that speaks for itself!!! It's everything I could have asked for and then some. The only complaints I have are to be expected, and minute, at best. The Tanneau top will be corrected, or a better aftermarket one will be out there shortly... I'm very glad I waited on the vert, It's a fun, fast, comfortable car that runs as good as it looks and all-in-all, it far outshines anything I've driven to date!
Attached Images

Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:04 PM   #2
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
Sweet ride, thanks for the review. Enjoy it and post lots more pictures please.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I do actually envy you a bit. I was initially in the 'Wait for the Vert' club. I caved VERY early, in fact, I ordered before production, lol. I TOTALY failed in the patience category.

Have fun with the vert, and have fun moding it. You're really gonna love it. After a year and 10 months, I haven't lost my proverbial 'Perma Grin' yet.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:47 PM   #4
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post
Sweet ride, thanks for the review. Enjoy it and post lots more pictures please.
Can't ask for many more pix than here:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132722

any special requests, let me know!
Old 03-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #5
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
Thanks for the report. I have 7 miles on our convertible
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Chris View Post
Thanks for the report. I have 7 miles on our convertible
x10 to go to catch up with the OP. lol
Old 03-06-2011, 10:21 PM   #7
ctinatx

Drives: 2014 SS Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
The stereo/HVAC-
Well, being the 2SS, I've got the "Upgraded" sound system. Honestly- with the top down at speed, it's a bit quiet. It's crystal clear, and the bass has a good, solid punch (not a deep, rumple, but a solid punch) which I'm sure is helped by the relocation of the subwoofer to the center, rear seat. At city speeds, and especially with the top up, its great- pleanty loud. But I missed some of the volume, trying to sing along at hwy speed. The steering wheel could use a station control. Volume and source is great, but I still have to reach for the head unit to change songs, stations ets... The HVAC works great- heat is HOT and cold is COLD... no complaints there, whatsoever.
You can change between favorite stations and and choose next or previous songs from the steering wheel. It is done with the by scrolling the SRC button up and down. Pressing directly on the SRC changes the source. To fine tune the FM tuner ,selecting non-favorited XM stations, or selecting a specific song on a usb key or ipod you do need to use the head unit.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #8
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinatx View Post
You can change between favorite stations and and choose next or previous songs from the steering wheel. It is done with the by scrolling the SRC button up and down. Pressing directly on the SRC changes the source. To fine tune the FM tuner ,selecting non-favorited XM stations, or selecting a specific song on a usb key or ipod you do need to use the head unit.
Thanks! Still learning!!!!

Speaking of radios- I forgot to mention, while I LOVE the new spoiler, and like the idea of the integrated radio antenna- reception is BAD! I've lost the capability of listening to several of my favorite stations from.neighboring cities. XM is status quo as I've always known it, but regular FM radio loses signal.strength.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:35 PM   #9
LED Crazy
okcamaros.com

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Thanks! Still learning!!!!

Speaking of radios- I forgot to mention, while I LOVE the new spoiler, and like the idea of the integrated radio antenna- reception is BAD! I've lost the capability of listening to several of my favorite stations from.neighboring cities. XM is status quo as I've always known it, but regular FM radio loses signal.strength.
I am interested in how the system sounds in the convertible. I disconnected the evil enter speaker and it made a difference.
LED Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
Its a really good review. Is it possible that you got a bad tanneau cover ?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
The stereo/HVAC-
I know, I know... where is there a speed limit in access of 80 mph? But damn it- say I'm at a track- I want my Tanneu cover to stay on!!!! After 9 days- I'm constantly looking in my rear view evaluating the stability of the cover, instead of enjoying the ride. It's a distraction and it takes away from the driving experience. Thats a big let down. And forget about driving without it. For those with a 1SS or 1LT that do not come with it- BUY IT. The wind ripples through the cloth top like CRAZY without the cover... I can only imagine the long term damage without the tanneau... It's a shame too- (not that I like promoting Ford) but the Mustangs had a "hard" front pannel on their verts top- so even without the tanneau cover, the exposed portion was rigid, and therefore never effected by the wind. Watching the exposed portion of the cloth top ripple with the wind made me shudder in my Camaro...
Most people don't realize how loud air is when it's rushing past you at 50 mph. Just about every radio sucks with the top down.

I don't think there is any track that will allow you to run with the top down.

I hope that running with out the tonneau cover doesn't hurt the top because I will probably never use it. It should be fine or else why would GM offer it as an option. I hated having to run to the trunk to put up/get my T tops in my old Trans Am and it made me not want to ever take the t tops off.

I can't wait to get my vert. I'm so jealous!!!
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:04 AM   #12
Suntan

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i, 2006 BMW 550i
Very informative review! Many thanks for it, and congratulations on the beautiful ride!
Suntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 04:08 AM   #13
Camaro68

Drives: 68 Camaro 327ci 2SS/RS 376ci LS3
Great review, thx for shairing

6000 Vehicle Delivered to Customer 6-23-10
Camaro68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #14
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
x10 to go to catch up with the OP. lol
Hey math wiz... That would be X 100 to catch up!
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote