Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Members Classifieds - Parts for sale or wanted > Autos For Sale / Wanted

Old 07-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #15
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
this is a different version of an old scam, it used to be money orders or cashier checks....

Usually it would be they supposedly sent more than they were supposed to by accident, so could you please send them a check back with the difference.

The reason it worked is that the banks can take as long as 14 days (heard some take as long as a month) to actually clear it, but they put the money in your account sooner, so you think its cleared, then send them the extra, then how ever many days later the bank discovers it was a forgery and takes the money out of your account.

And guess what, your left holding the bag. As checks and money orders aren't actually legal tender, they are just promissory notes, by depositing them into your account, you are taking responsibility for them being real. And you will have to pay back the lost money.

Works something like:

you are selling something for $3000...they send you a money order they forged or stole for $4000. Usually they are in say CA while you are in GA, its always somewhere far away.

they say oops, just deposit it and send us the difference please.

you deposit it, 2 days later (sometimes sooner) the bank puts it in your account.

You think its there and legit now, so you send them $1000 back...

12 days later the bank realizes its a fake and withdraws the full $4000 back out of your bank account. you just lost $1000

Last edited by Rhyder; 07-04-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #16
Monchy36
ZLT!!! COTW (8/5/13)

Drives: 2011 IOM 1LT RS M6
Live & learn, happen to me to, deposit check bank clear it the ask put delivery money on a green card that Walmart sell, I was a little skeptical but I thinking without the back code from the card they can't do nothing, but they ask for prove so I send a email with the card and receipt and didn't notice that the card code is on the receipt... now every time they try it I just play a little then I say I know is a scam and they stop right away...
Monchy36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 PM   #17
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Had the same exact story (oceanographer) when i tried to sell a sportster on craigslist i even played along an then when i didnt do stuff quickly enough she/they goy pissy an i got pissy back and reported them to ebay was kind of fun for a few lol
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:20 PM   #18
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
If yuo want to reed this post in its full then yuo have to send me $58 to my paypal account and for some reason ill send you back $76 once its reed.

How did that look? I can start scaming tomorrow.
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #19
Casperadub70

Drives: 2014 1LE Camaro, 95 Z28 Camaro
Ok for serious about a year ago my grandma got a phone call from a young lady pretending to be my sister. She was crying and told my grandma that she was in jail in Canada and need $2000 to get out and to wire the money. Luckly my grandma did have the $2000 and she called my mom and my sister was sitting right next to her.
My Grandma really believed it was my sister. Crazy.
2014 1LE 2SS Camaro Recaro seats, Custom Cam, Kooks LT headers, CAI intake, Z/28 Spoiler, Z/28 Belly Pan, Z/28 Brake Air Ducts, Stainless Steel breaklines, BMR Toe Rods and Trailing Arms resulting in 482.49 RWHP
Casperadub70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #20
cvp33
America FVCK Yeah!

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
I can't believe anyone would fall for this crap over and over again, but apparently they do. On another note you're not going to believe what I just sold my ZL1 for! This Nigerian Prince wanted my car and .............
2005 CTS-V SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2006 300C SRT-8 SOLD
2010 CTS-V SOLD
2012 CTS-V coupe SOLD
2013 ZL1 vert SOLD
2016 Callaway Z06 SOLD
2019 Z06 SOLD

"I lived my life by one motto.......mottos are for losers" cvp33
cvp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #21
TastyBake

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS Black
Thats an old school scam. Been around since late 1990's on other sites.
TastyBake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #22
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monchy36 View Post
Live & learn, happen to me to, deposit check bank clear it the ask put delivery money on a green card that Walmart sell, I was a little skeptical but I thinking without the back code from the card they can't do nothing, but they ask for prove so I send a email with the card and receipt and didn't notice that the card code is on the receipt... now every time they try it I just play a little then I say I know is a scam and they stop right away...
This is also being use by the infamous FBI virus on the computers. It locks you out, and makes you go to the store but one of these gift cards with like 200 bucks on it and then you input the code. My friend had this virus on his computer, what a pain in the ass to remove.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:48 AM   #23
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo9043 View Post
It happened to my cousin selling his motorcycle. He got a cashiers check and was skeptical so went to the bank. The bank checked it out and said it was fine. Cashed it for him, he sent the money and then paid off the loan. 2 days later police knocked on his door to arrest him for "producing a fake check". He had all the emails and everything to cover him but the bank wanted there money back. He is red flagged on his credit report for 7 years.
I know a guy this exact scenario happened too excepted selling a dodge Durango. The buyer timed it on a Saturday right before the bank closed so the teller was hurried and said the check was good. He deposits it, turns over the title and keys to the buyer. Monday he gets a call from the bank to stop in. Cops are waiting for him.

Insurance covered it as a theft, but ironically the truck turns back up after the buyer sells it to a woman in Indiana. I don't recall if be got the truck back or kept the insurance money. But he didn't have any credit problems because of it like your cousin. That seems like bs since it was a theft and forgery.