Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
Foremost
Frost

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LT
2013 V6 Camaro Track Upgrades

I am currently researching ways to get my V6 2013 Camaro ready for the track. The easy part is removing the speed limiter, now on to the fun stuff. I need to know what suspension to upgrade to, what type of tires to get, what type of rims, and anything else that I might be missing. The idea is for my car to be a sleeper and look as unassuming as possible when I get to the track. I would like to still be able to cruise in my car outside of the track so no over the top suggestions please (side note - this is only for amateur racing events on closed courses, no street racing suggestions). I have already started saving up for a twin turbo, one small and one big.

This is not a rush job, I want everything to be done right so I can cross the finish line in one piece. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. If you need more information from me, just ask.
Foremost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
jasonfichter

Drives: 2017 A10 ZL1
I also have a white v6 and am interested to see what type of mods you do. I had the same idea about making it a sleeper.
jasonfichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:22 PM   #3
MagnumForceGB

Drives: Fastest 2010 Camaro V6
Sway bars and endlinks would be my first, I have sway bars and the car is planted in turns.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Foremost
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfichter View Post
I also have a white v6 and am interested to see what type of mods you do. I had the same idea about making it a sleeper.
I have always had an interest in sleepers ever since I've seen a Mustang sleeper almost beat my Uncles '98 Skyline back in 2001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForceGB
Sway bars and endlinks would be my first, I have sway bars and the car is planted in turns.
Sway bars and endlinks are a great place to start. Thanks for the tip. I see you have done a good deal of modifications to yours.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foremost View Post
I am currently researching ways to get my V6 2013 Camaro ready for the track. The easy part is removing the speed limiter, now on to the fun stuff. I need to know what suspension to upgrade to, what type of tires to get, what type of rims, and anything else that I might be missing. The idea is for my car to be a sleeper and look as unassuming as possible when I get to the track. I would like to still be able to cruise in my car outside of the track so no over the top suggestions please (side note - this is only for amateur racing events on closed courses, no street racing suggestions). I have already started saving up for a twin turbo, one small and one big.

This is not a rush job, I want everything to be done right so I can cross the finish line in one piece. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. If you need more information from me, just ask.
Maybe the 1LE track pack and if you can, the 1LE wheels and tires? I've heard that ZL1 sway bars are more for staggered setups with the 1LE sways are for square setups. I'm also interested in adding some handling upgrades to my V6. I currently have Eibach springs, Pedders Street I kit, and GM strut bar.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
You might look into brakes for hard stop n go
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
Foremost
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk55 View Post
Maybe the 1LE track pack and if you can, the 1LE wheels and tires? I've heard that ZL1 sway bars are more for staggered setups with the 1LE sways are for square setups. I'm also interested in adding some handling upgrades to my V6. I currently have Eibach springs, Pedders Street I kit, and GM strut bar.
I was looking at Eibach springs and GM strut bar, did you notice a nice difference? And how long did it take to install the items? Honestly speaking, I am a beginner at vehicle mods. It looks like it is going to take me about an hour and a half to install an after market cold air intake from K&N on my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikoriko
You might look into brakes for hard stop n go
True, the course that I have been on recently was fairly easy but there are harder courses around the country were really good brakes would be a premium.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #8
06_warrior

Drives: 2012 1SS LS3 M6 black on black :)
Get some LS 18" steel wheels.
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:52 PM   #9
Sandor
Chevrolet Performance

Drives: Camaro Chroma
Chevrolet Performance now offers a variety of street-level performance parts for the Camaro, both V8 AND V6, including the 1LE suspension system, ZL1 brakes, SS brakes for V6 Camaros, the underhood crosstower brace and more.

Best of all, unlike aftermarket parts these components won't void your factory warranty and they are designed, engineered and validated by the team that engineered your Camaro. The Camaro community asked for these parts and Chevrolet listened!

You can download the Chevrolet Performance catalog at: http://www.chevroletperformance.com/Parts/catalog.jsp
Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
jameslk55

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS, 2005 SLK55 AMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foremost View Post
I was looking at Eibach springs and GM strut bar, did you notice a nice difference? And how long did it take to install the items? Honestly speaking, I am a beginner at vehicle mods. It looks like it is going to take me about an hour and a half to install an after market cold air intake from K&N on my car.

True, the course that I have been on recently was fairly easy but there are harder courses around the country were really good brakes would be a premium.
I got the springs and bushing kit done at the same time. I can't say if there is a difference between those two items but with the both of them together, there's definitely a difference over the stock handling. My fiancée and I drove to Michigan from Virginia and back. Tighter cornering and a lot more confidence. I had different brand springs before but found them to be too stiff for me and ride height a bit higher than I liked. My car will never see the track but I still want improved handling and comfortable ride for daily driving. I just added the strut bar today and haven't gotten a chance to really push the car.

I think the SS brake kit is available from Chevy Performance if the ZL1 kit is too much.
jameslk55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #11
Foremost
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandor View Post
Chevrolet Performance now offers a variety of street-level performance parts for the Camaro, both V8 AND V6, including the 1LE suspension system, ZL1 brakes, SS brakes for V6 Camaros, the underhood crosstower brace and more.

Best of all, unlike aftermarket parts these components won't void your factory warranty and they are designed, engineered and validated by the team that engineered your Camaro. The Camaro community asked for these parts and Chevrolet listened!

You can download the Chevrolet Performance catalog at: http://www.chevroletperformance.com/Parts/catalog.jsp
Jackpot! Thank you sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslk55
I got the springs and bushing kit done at the same time. I can't say if there is a difference between those two items but with the both of them together, there's definitely a difference over the stock handling. My fiancée and I drove to Michigan from Virginia and back. Tighter cornering and a lot more confidence. I had different brand springs before but found them to be too stiff for me and ride height a bit higher than I liked. My car will never see the track but I still want improved handling and comfortable ride for daily driving. I just added the strut bar today and haven't gotten a chance to really push the car. I think the SS brake kit is available from Chevy Performance if the ZL1 kit is too much.
Thanks for the feedback, that is good to know.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #12
LSXaddict

Drives: 1ss in Blue Ray Metallic
Read this... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90270&highlight=pedders+5th+gen+b ook

There is a ton of useful info in there that will set you straight. Also don't worry about the strut tower brace they're near useless on our cars. Focus on sways, endlinks, coil overs (recommended) or springs and wheels and tires. Also when you say track I am assuming you mean road course not drag.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Foremost
Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXaddict View Post
Read this... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90270&highlight=pedders+5th+gen+b ook

There is a ton of useful info in there that will set you straight. Also don't worry about the strut tower brace they're near useless on our cars. Focus on sways, endlinks, coil overs (recommended) or springs and wheels and tires. Also when you say track I am assuming you mean road course not drag.
And another jackpot! Thank you sir and yes, I mean circuits and sprints. Drag racing is fun but it just doesn't beat the feeling of going into the turns at high speeds, for me anyway.