Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-12-2010, 09:37 AM   #1
Matt79M

Drives: 2010 RS LT2 Camaro
Screeching noise coming from rear of 2010 RS LT2 Camaro

Everyone I need help. I have a 2010 RS LT2 Camaro. I have taken my car to 2 diff dealerships now. The only thing they have come up with is rocks in my rotors. Occasionally when I am going 5-15mph my car makes a screechy noise coming from the back end. It only makes the noise when my wheels are moving, I even tried putting it in park and revving my engine. I only hear it usually at low mphs, and it does it regardless if my breaks are pushed or not. Most importantly though it is never consistently there. I do drive over quite a bit of gravel/larger rocks(we had some mine subsidence in our neighborhood) so I am wondering if that is all it is. Please help if you have had this problem, know anyone who has, or have any advice. My wife recorded this video of my car making the noise going down my driveway. Check it out and see what you think.
Thanks!
Matt79M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Orange5thGen

Drives: 2011 Convert
Send a message via Yahoo to Orange5thGen
Where are you in IL? I can get my dealer to look at it... They fixed my brake issue...
Come see me at www.chicago5thgen.com TEAM LLT, , 2011 Covertible 1LT RS, JDM Color Shift Halo's, Showstopper Camaro Bowtie Led Mirrors, Side Markers and Engine Cover, Pace Setter Catback Exhaust, BK Coilover Kit, 21" Full Crome GM wheels, Tinted windows, I WIN BEARS Plate. Full amber ABL dash and door update with IOM interior panels.
Orange5thGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Matt79M

Screech Noise

I am in SIL, but it really isn't a break issue. It does it at low mphs, and sometimes I have the breaks pushed sometimes I dont. And most importantly it doesnt do it all the time. My car made the screeching noise for an entire day at low mphs, then for the last 2 days it hasnt made the noise at all.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Did you check to see if the warning feeler gaige is bent from a stone.
It's a shot in the dark but wourth cheking.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
The Gaige that's hooked to the brake pads.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Matt79M

I am new to this website and honestly I dont know anything about cars. I wouldnt even know what I am looking at!
Old 05-12-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Matt79M

Both dealerships I have brought it to have come to the conclusion that it is rocks. Could that really be all it is? I have had this noise come and go 3 or 4 times now.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
Lfsabch

Drives: 2018 Camaro1ls
did they take them out? runs quiet? or just look at them and go "eeeeeyup what ya got there is some rocks"?
Lfsabch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
Predator2U

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt79M View Post
Everyone I need help. I have a 2010 RS LT2 Camaro. I have taken my car to 2 diff dealerships now. The only thing they have come up with is rocks in my rotors. Occasionally when I am going 5-15mph my car makes a screechy noise coming from the back end. It only makes the noise when my wheels are moving, I even tried putting it in park and revving my engine. I only hear it usually at low mphs, and it does it regardless if my breaks are pushed or not. Most importantly though it is never consistently there. I do drive over quite a bit of gravel/larger rocks(we had some mine subsidence in our neighborhood) so I am wondering if that is all it is. Please help if you have had this problem, know anyone who has, or have any advice. My wife recorded this video of my car making the noise going down my driveway. Check it out and see what you think.
Thanks!
I know you posted this many months ago however I just viewed your Youtube video and my 2SS is doing the exact same thing. It is quite embarrassing I must say. My dealer said that they were going to call and speak with an engineer and later determined that the right rear bearing seal is crooked and rubbing against the bearing. They are ordering a complete hub assembly. I know that the sound doesn't start until the car is driven awhile. Must be a metal expansion from heat thing.
Did you ever get your's diagnosed? I am waiting for the parts to arrive to see if it fixes the problem.
Cheers!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #10
lakers171
SoCal MAYHEM

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS IBM
is there any update? because i have similar problems with my car and i also have a 2LT its just mine is on the front drivers side wheel. i hear scretching and it pops when i go over a bump or turning i hear clicking.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #11
Predator2U

Well after 8 weeks waiting for a rear hub assembly to be ordered and delivered, my dealer installed the new hub and that didn't fix the problem. They put my camaro on the rack, started it, placed in gear and raised it into the air. The exact squeeling sound that is heard in the youtube video in this thread is in fact a problem in the differential. The right side of the differential where the stub axle exits is where the sound is coming from. The diff fluid is full of metal shavings. My dealer says he now has to remove the diff and diassemble to find the problem. I will most likely be without the car for a month or more. Noise started at 2500 miles. This sucks
Old 03-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Hi Predator2U,

How are things progressing with the repairs? Have any new problems come up?

-Jared Duane
Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
Predator2U

Yes, my Dealer completed the repairs in 3.5 days which surprised the heck out of me. They completely disassembled the differential, replaced all bearings and seals, reassembled, added oil and an additative. I have driven over 500 miles since without a reoccuring noise.
Pleased so far...

Thanks for asking!

I was talking with the mechanic and he said that the bearing didn't even have signs of failure (it looked new), which was odd due to the sound it was making. I also mentioned that I have yet to use the comp. mode and his response was "what are you waiting for?", this thing is made for that and it is completely covered under warranty, have fun he said. That was really cool to hear... because I don't plan on tearing up my baby. This car has become my second love (only to the wife) and it is good to know that if I want to push her to the limits, my dealer stands behind me if something fails.

~Cheers