Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #1
CamaroBC

Drives: Cyber Grey 2LT RS Coupe
Cracked rim<Wheel Replaced=poor handling?

Last week ran over a huge pothole, and cracked the front left wheel.
So I have the new wheel on, it was balanced, but now the feel of the car is wrong. Doesnt feel as stable, like its more susceptible to veer left or right in certain road variables. Also riding over rough areas I feel/hear a dead thud from that wheel as opposed to the normal feel i would expect from the other front wheel.

1-DEad thud
2-shaky control.

What could be wrong?
Do I need a wheel alignment?
CamaroBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #2
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
If you hit something hard enough to crack a wheel, you very well could have damaged some suspension parts. I'd bring it to a shop.
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
At a minimum, you need an alignment.

Based on your description of the thud, it sounds like something is broken, too.

Take it to a mechanic before the car kills you.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #4
camarorick

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
If you hit something hard enough to crack a wheel, you very well could have damaged some suspension parts. I'd bring it to a shop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
At a minimum, you need an alignment.

Based on your description of the thud, it sounds like something is broken, too.

Take it to a mechanic before the car kills you.
What they said
camarorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #5
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
check the balance and alignment. Also, if your tire is uni-directional, make sure they installed it correctly.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #6
Drakin

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by geaux_tigerss View Post
I would agree...a good alignment tech will be able to tell you for sure...even if it's not visible...have them check the SAI and Included angles, as these will tell them what may be bent(control arm or strut).
Drakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
CamaroBC

thanks guys
Old 03-21-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
CamaroBC

So i think im going to go to the dealer tomorow. I think maybe the Caster was knocked out of place,... OR I busted the Shock spring? Either way the car is looser, handles worse over bumpy or uneven roads, and when hitting bumps now I get a bing feel with no cushion.
So *sigh*...so much to do.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Dont you just love our home?

I feel like I need new struts annually.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
CamaroBC

really? good to know man.
yeah it sucks. but I'm usually very careful. but meh I guess it happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Sorry to hear about this most unfortunate accident you've had CamaroBC. Let us know what your dealer finds. I hope it's nothing too serious and it's a quick bump on the road of Camaro Ownership.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
CamaroBC

This is what happened.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=1#post4703112
Old 03-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #13
CamaroBC

I went to my shop to address my issue, and at the very least get my normal OEM alignment specs met to try and eliminate the possible causes of resulting issues ive received after hitting a huge pot hole (exaggerated steer pull on rugged roads, and un-cushioned thud on the left front wheel over bumps).

The end result seemed like a waste of my time and money. This is my dealer GM shop, they were preparing to send me home without telling me that they never touched the camber on the wheel that hit the pot hole. And told me "i wouldnt feel the difference." And I can clearly still feel the difference. The guy said that changing the camber would require extensive work. So hes basically saying hes just lazy? At that point I had stayed there from 9am-2pm and very patient, to come to the conclusion that the car has to be put on another machine that acts as an MRI to locate if there is structural damage in the wheel area or not, which they couldnt do that day, nor by appointment, but only by taking my ride over night and getting back to me when they were able to. So that didnt happen.

I will post my before and after Sheet, But My issue is,
1-If proper alignment is within their capabilities shouldnt they have properly aligned the car...THEN informed me of what other treatment was necessary to get my car back to form?

2-The reason I want a normal alignment is to see if the sound goes away, they aligned every other wheel, but not the pot hole wheel. Can you think of any circumstances that they would align the other wheels but not the camber on the pot hole wheel?

3-After looking at the sheet they seemed to have adjusted the Camber on the rear right wheel,..... Am I missing something? Is there that much more work involved in doing the front than the rear? Plus they put the rear camber outside of OEM specs...to balance out the misalignment of the front left one? What? Im only assuming this because they failed to mention that to me as well.

4-If for any reason that the car sustained damage where they knowingly could not perform a normal alignment to the front wheel, shouldnt they say that?, instead of doing this crappy alignment and charging me full price knowing that I have to come back and get some other work done on the same area?

5-My caster on the pot hole wheel is off 2 degrees or maybe 3 according to OEM specs. This was not mentioned either.

I dont know maybe im wrong, but I feel like they just wanted to charge me for an alignment, and gauge me knowing that I'd have to get some other work done. Dont get me wrong I intend on going back there and raising hell if need be, but I want to get all the facts straight beforehand.

Here it is:

If its too Blurry it reads:

Before

-1.4 -0.3
5.7 5.9
0.39 0.34

-0.6 -1.3
-0.05 -0.30
Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 PM   #14
Carolinacamaro11

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
MMMMMM WELL AT THE VERY LEAST YOU NEED A NEW ALIGNMENT.... DID YOU INSTALL THE OLD TIRE ON THE NEW RIM? IS IT POSSIBLE THAT YOU HAVE A BROKEN BELT IN THE TIRE? THESE ARE LOW PROFILE TIRES AND THERE IS NO SPACE FOR ERROR....i HAD A CROSSFIRE THAT I HIT A HUGE POTHOLE AND I BUSTED BOTH RIGHT SIDE WHEELS AND DAMAGED ONE TIRE...IT WAS ABOUT A 600.00 FIX... A FEW MONTHS LATER ONE OF THE WHEELS CRACKED AGAIN... SO DON'T GET THEM FIXED.. REPLACE THEM IF YOU RUN INTO ISSUES LIKE YOU HAVE..... GOOD LUCK
Carolinacamaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote