Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #1
Eaglerulez

Drives: V6 LS
Just got my V6 LS a few days ago, looking to mod up!

Hi Everybody,

I'm brand new to this forum and just recently purchased a Camaro after my old Chevy Uplander had its engine die.

Going from an old minivan to a Camaro has been quite the trade, and I am absolutely in love with the car so far.

While I do really enjoy the LS6 I have a few questions as far as modding it goes.

1) I am pretty sold on getting the CAI Systems CAI. It seems to have proven results across the board and seems like a great first mod for me. My only question is whether the added power, performance, and sound is noticeable, and if so, by how much.

2) It seems like the next logical mod is an exhaust of somesort. I am personally torn between getting a Catback and an Axelback. I have heard that the Catback will provide more performance, but costs a lot more, and since the stock exhaust seems to flow pretty well, it may just be worthwhile getting an axelback for the sound. What are your guys' opinions? I personally care more about performance than aesthetics/sound but if a catback is only going to provide a 5HP gain that is barely noticeable, I would be much happier going with an axel back.

3) Since I am driving the V6 in auto, and for some reason the 2012 LS lacks sport mode, I really feel like the car could use a good tune just to make it a little more aggressive. Can anyone recommend me a good tune?

4) Here is where it gets a little tricky. I plan on using this car as my daily driver so I have no interest in getting forced induction or anything like that. Because this will be a daily driver, I want to make sure that I am not voiding my warranty.

From what I have gathered through various forum posts, if I where to switch out the stock intake for a CAI, I would only be voiding the warranty on the stock intake. I guess the same could be said about the exhaust. However with tuning, that would basically be voiding my warranty all together. Are there any tunes that can revert back to stock ECU, and that know how to revert the number of flashes to 0 just so some dealer doesn't find me out and void my warranty? Also is my interpretation of modding the stock intake and exhaust correct?

Also, if anyone has any other advice, tips, or suggestions, I would really appreciate it. This is my first sports car really, and it is the first time that I have had a desire to modify a car so this is all uncharted territory to me.

Thank you so much!
Eaglerulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:48 AM   #2
MediumLabowski

Drives: '16 FiST
Sounds like you did your research. There is a ton of advice and tips on here, mine would be you probably dont need any advice, do what you want. I read you were considering a tune, a "trifecta" tune is whats available, however it will void much of your warranty... but thats your decision.

http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/gene...d-my-warranty/

http://www.trifectaperformance.com/

...and ask SC2150 about Catch-Cans

Last edited by MediumLabowski; 06-18-2012 at 08:03 AM.
MediumLabowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
Calikenn

Drives: 2012 Corvette GS
Congratulations my southern neighbor. Enjoy the grin...
Calikenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglerulez View Post
Hi Everybody,

I'm brand new to this forum and just recently purchased a Camaro after my old Chevy Uplander had its engine die.

Going from an old minivan to a Camaro has been quite the trade, and I am absolutely in love with the car so far.

While I do really enjoy the LS6 I have a few questions as far as modding it goes.

1) I am pretty sold on getting the CAI Systems CAI. It seems to have proven results across the board and seems like a great first mod for me. My only question is whether the added power, performance, and sound is noticeable, and if so, by how much.

Thank you so much!
Sounds like you have really been educating yourself and doing some solid research, that's great! Thank you for choosing Cold Air Induction Inc. for your CAI, I know you will be happy with your choice! In terms of noticing a difference just from the CAI, it really comes down to the driver. But being honest, I would say that at least 80%-90% of our customers report back with positive feedback regarding a better sound, more power, and improved throttle response. As for fuel economy we also hear a lot of good feedback, typically around a 2 mpg gain for those who have had the system awhile. With fuel economy though it really depends on the driver. There is a list of testimonials on our website, as well a lot of feedback from customers on our Facebook Page and here on the forum. Thanks again and please let me know if you have any questions!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #5
tow

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange LS Camaro
Welcome

There is a lot of options out there, I have a 2010 LS daily driver with 52000 miles and have done a lot of mods all myself with the help of our friends on this site.
I put the axle back DynoMax VT exhaust for under $400.00 and love the sound. It is quiet untill you get on the throttle which is what I wanted. Do your own thing have pics atached of some mods before and after.
Attached Images

tow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #6
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
The most popular items I send out for our V6 crowd has absolutely got to be the Rx Throttle Bodies and the Vmax Spacers.

We have all the bases covered and there are certainly a lot of ways to look better and get faster out there.

Feel free to shoot us a call or PM anytime....we're here to help!
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Eaglerulez

Thanks for the advice and replies everybody.

So I guess my main questions for now are whether a catback exhaust has any performance gains worth the money, and whether there is a tune out there that can be reverted to stock without the dealer knowing.

Any leads?
Old 06-18-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan @ Southwest Speed View Post
The most popular items I send out for our V6 crowd has absolutely got to be the Rx Throttle Bodies and the Vmax Spacers.

We have all the bases covered and there are certainly a lot of ways to look better and get faster out there.

Feel free to shoot us a call or PM anytime....we're here to help!
Ivan
I don't think we LFX'ers can use the spacers, but definetly looking to get the ported TB soon
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #9
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglerulez View Post
Thanks for the advice and replies everybody.

So I guess my main questions for now are whether a catback exhaust has any performance gains worth the money, and whether there is a tune out there that can be reverted to stock without the dealer knowing.

Any leads?
I would say the gains would be minimal at best. The exhausts I've seen on here are 95% for sound alone.

I've also heard the V6's can be re-flashed to stock but have no experience with it.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Eaglerulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfarley View Post
I would say the gains would be minimal at best. The exhausts I've seen on here are 95% for sound alone.

I've also heard the V6's can be re-flashed to stock but have no experience with it.
Thanks, so I will just worry about going axel-back then.

Now if only I can figure out a tune that can definitely be flashed back to stock.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #11
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I don't think the ecu the 2012 v6 has can be flashed to stock and not be discovered it was tuned. All tunes can be flashed back to stock but usually there are counters or other things GM will put into the programming to detect if its been tampered with. The thing with the 2011 is that it didn't have a counter like the v8 had so you couldn't tell if the ecu had been flashed. I don't know what the 2012 has but I believe I had heard that yea you could tell. But don't trust me. Ask around and see what others have to say who know more about your specific engine.

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 10:29 PM   #12
Eaglerulez

That would be a bummer if that was true, but thanks for the heads up I guess I need to research that some more.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #13
brandonrr
LFX is not the average V6

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT 5.0
it seems nobody has provided a definitive answer whether or not the 2012 V6 has a flash counter.
brandonrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 07:10 AM   #14
colingordon
Her Name is Mila

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT A6, 2014 Camaro 1LS
How do you do a resonator delete or a muffler delete?