Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Power Steering Problem....2010 SS

Okay, so I have a 2010 SS (LS3) with only 11,000 miles on it. I had an dumb ass "incident" a couple weeks ago where my floor jack slipped off the front beam and it bent and nearly broke off one of the ports coming out of my steering rack. Yep....that was STUPID . Anyway, no big deal, I bought an entire brand new GM steering rack off of ebay (from one of the GM parts dealerships), I was surprised it was only $250. Anyway, I installed it on the car with no issues. Added a little fluid, and drove it, figuring any air in the system would work itself out. Well, the steering wheel "shuddered" quite a bit while turning, which I figured was just air in the system, and it would eventually work its way out. A mechanic buddy suggested putting the front end up on jack stands, starting the car, and turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock several times. I did that this morning, did about 10 cycles back and forth from lock-to-lock. The "shuddering" stopped, and I figured I was good-to-go. On my way into work, I noticed that above 2000 RPM, the steering seemed better, no shuddering, but still a little lagging. Below like 1500 RPM, it felt like I had NO power steering at all. Luckily, I'm running skinnies up front, so I could still get around alright. Sounds to me like a bad power steering pump now!!! I just can't figure out why the pump would be bad now. I never started the car after I broke the P/S line, replaced all the components, checked my fluid, and now it feels like the pump is shot!!! Only 11k miles on the car. I'm stumped!!! My buddy told me to check out the "Turn One" aftermarket pump....but holy crap.....$595!!! I think I'll just get an OEM replacement or something. Any ideas why the pump would be bad now, or anything else that might be causing my problems??? Thanks in advance for any advice.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
Dimitrim
Dimitri

Drives: 68 GTO 455 Ram Air; 2014 Camaro ZL1
The factory GM pumps are bullit proof. I think what happened to it is when you replaced the rack and did not bleed the system out. The airratted oil fried your pump.

I think you have also smoked your oil. I would replace all your power steering oil. When you replace your pump, I like to fill it to max. Start it up and run for 30 seconds. Turn it off. Top off your resevoire. Keep doing that until you do not have to top off your res. Then start it, go lock to lock 4 times. Turn it off. Top off your res. Start it go lock to lock about 10 times. Turn it off, top off resivoir. Start it, take for drive get oil hot, come back and top off res when oil is hot.

Gook luck
Dimitri
Dimitrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:17 PM   #3
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitrim View Post
The factory GM pumps are bullit proof. I think what happened to it is when you replaced the rack and did not bleed the system out. The airratted oil fried your pump.

I think you have also smoked your oil. I would replace all your power steering oil. When you replace your pump, I like to fill it to max. Start it up and run for 30 seconds. Turn it off. Top off your resevoire. Keep doing that until you do not have to top off your res. Then start it, go lock to lock 4 times. Turn it off. Top off your res. Start it go lock to lock about 10 times. Turn it off, top off resivoir. Start it, take for drive get oil hot, come back and top off res when oil is hot.

Gook luck
Dimitri
Hmmm, I didn't realize there was an actual procedure for bleeding out the steering system. I figured any air in the system would just bleed itself out back to the reservoir. Have any more details on this bleeding procedure? Anyway, yeah, I'm pretty sure my pump is probably fried now. Looks like I'll be ordering a new pump this weekend! Thanks for the advice.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote