Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 04-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #1
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Trailing arms and toe rods

I have a set of toe rods and trailing arms from BMR on my SS right now. I was wondering if I took them off will they fit on the ZL-1?
Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by armysig View Post
I have a set of toe rods and trailing arms from BMR on my SS right now. I was wondering if I took them off will they fit on the ZL-1?
Aren't they the same minus the improved ZL1 bushings? That's my understanding... Even if the tie rods are a different design (which I'm thinking I might remember that...) there has been no mention of knuckle design changes, so they should swing the knuckle off of the subframe just the same as your SS it seems to me. I wish I could offer a confirmed answer...

I need to update the FAQ, lol...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #3
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
The BMR trailing arms and toe rods should fit a new ZL1 Camaro without any issue.
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
The BMR trailing arms and toe rods should fit a new ZL1 Camaro without any issue.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:00 AM   #5
armysig
Catch me if you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post

I was looking at some of the pictures from VIR with the tilted ZL-1 and it looks like GM used the crappy stamped toe road and trailing arm. Thanks for the post! Love your guys parts.

I'm taking the parts off this weekend, I should be getting my ZL-1 in the next week or 2. Once I have it I'll install them to confirm.
Old 04-25-2012, 02:14 AM   #6
iHasCamaro

Drives: Silver 2012 1SS
Does the zl1 need them? The SS does and then some, but the ZL1 has better suspension. Just curious.
iHasCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
2012ZL1
CaRaHoLiC

Drives: '12 ZL1,67 Cam,68 Biscayne 427 4 sp
What is the advantage of these parts on the ZL1?
2.55 upper, 10" lower pullies, Innovators west billet hub and sfi balancer, solid blower drive isolator, 50 mm idler kit, full length S/S headers no cats, comp cams custom grind cam, comp roller rocker trunion kit, comp push rods,dual valve springs retainers and locks, Injector dynamics ID850 inectors, Rotofab ZL1 cold air kit, Lingenfelter 160 thermostat, Rotofab intercooler reservoir, stock plugs, LS7 90mm throttle body, GTO clutch reservoir mod, my own custom catch can, Tuning by Jannetty, install by me.
2012ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
armysig
Catch me if you can

Well the advantage of the parts on the Camaro is that it will keep the vehicle from doing wheel hop. The stock parts tend to twist and flex, thus producing the wheel hop you see in some Camaros.

This can only help the PTM system as when it reads data from the sensors it will not have to do major adjustments to the car as it launches.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #9
BMR Sales

Quote:
I was looking at some of the pictures from VIR with the tilted ZL-1 and it looks like GM used the crappy stamped toe road and trailing arm. Thanks for the post! Love your guys parts.

I'm taking the parts off this weekend, I should be getting my ZL-1 in the next week or 2. Once I have it I'll install them to confirm.
You are correct. GM did improve upon the rubber bushings in the factory toe rods but they still use the stamped steel toe rods and trailing arms which are prone to deflection which leads to wheel hop. Our parts will definitely be an upgrade over the factory ZL1 parts.

If you could get some installation pictures and pictures of the car it would be greatly appreciated. I would like them for my records and also to show off our BMR Suspension customers cars.

Kyle
Old 04-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Well the advantage of the parts on the Camaro is that it will keep the vehicle from doing wheel hop. The stock parts tend to twist and flex, thus producing the wheel hop you see in some Camaros.

This can only help the PTM system as when it reads data from the sensors it will not have to do major adjustments to the car as it launches.

Regardless of the improvements of the bushings on ZL1, I still plan on a full complement of bushings from one of our Sponsors. I'm not sure I'll replace any arms, yet, but I'm definately going to be doing bushings near the top of my mod' list - cetainly before significant power upgrades.

IMHO - you have to have a solid foundation before you can start making power; it won't be any use if the car can't put it to the ground. There's nothing more funny to me than a 600 horse' car running 13s at the track, lol.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // TooHighPSI Port Injection // FF // Katech Dual In-Tank // Soler 103 // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
IMHO - you have to have a solid foundation before you can start making power; it won't be any use if the car can't put it to the ground. There's nothing more funny to me than a 600 horse' car running 13s at the track, lol.
This is definitely the way we think here at BMR Suspension. You to have a good foundation to really get the full potential out of the vehicle.