Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Blood

Drives: 2003 Silverado z71 1500
Question Soooo Custom V. Handheld!

So I know custom tuned gets you so much more then a Handheld does!! BUT! I like having the ability to have my handheld, run whatever I want to cahnge anything I want that is available, and still be able to put it back! With the custom tune you have to pay 150$ to go in there and re-do it! Why do they charge you, isnt it pretty much free for them to do? Just takes knowledge?!?!?!?

Anyway what exactly does the custom tune do thats SOOOOOOOO much better. Isn't it more rough on the vehicle as a custom over a handheld?
Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:43 AM   #2
ZombieEatsYou

Drives: "Bmblbee" 2010 RY 2SS/RS. VIN 12043
For me, it's the fact I would have to pay $250-300 every time I installed a mod, plus again to return it to stock if need be; while with a HH I pat $350-375 and can do it myself and have 3-5 different tunes at hand + stock.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
a handheld won't be anywhere near as aggressive as a custom tune - that's for many reasons, legal and mechanical. a custom tune is also specifically tailored to your vehicle unlike the 'blanket' general tunes offered by the box. if you're changing tire sizes or rear ends every couple weeks, fine, get the handheld... no get HP Tuners or EFILive (if you're already willing to shell out almost that much money anyway). also, if a custom tuning company won't offer free updates, find someone else - there are plenty who do
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:21 AM   #4
jbsrace1

Drives: 2010 2ss
First off it has been a few years since I have played with a hand held unit. So they may be better now I don't really know.
But they have always been very generic, A few deg more timing, a little fuel taken away and a few more psi added to the shift pressure, speedo calibration for gear or tire change and that was about it. You could not make iac & maf adjustments to compensate for a cam or converter. You could not do code deletes for rear o2's, egr, misfire, ect.
A custom tune is just that custom tailored to your car and the way you drive it. If you want it to shift a little faster from 1st to second and then drag out the 2-3 shift a little longer it is no problem. Timing and fuel can be adjusted for any application (Race fuel, N0s, turbo, SC, ect) I can not speak for other shops but all my customers stock & modified tunes are stored on CD and if they need to return to stock for a trip to the dealer it is no charge. I would expect others to do the same as it makes for good customer relations and repeat business. Ask your tuner about it before you get the work done.
jbsrace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #5
Blood

Ive read a lot of shops charge 250$ for the tune and like 100$ every re-tune. Its stupid and rediculous amount of money :|
Old 10-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I may be mistaken but with a handheld can't you upload the tune to your computer and modify it there too, you don't have to use the handheld unileterally to tune. This way you can customize it better software then upload it abck to the car with the handheld. Also, I believe some handhelds are undetectable, they keep the correct CVN.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
I may be mistaken but with a handheld can't you upload the tune to your computer and modify it there too, you don't have to use the handheld unileterally to tune. This way you can customize it better software then upload it abck to the car with the handheld. Also, I believe some handhelds are undetectable, they keep the correct CVN.
How does your Diablo work? I know my superchip that is in my truck I can "UPDATE" on the computer, but I havent. But superchip's suck.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I haven't had the chance to play around with it yet. But it can be linked to the computer for updates and I can upload completely new tunes to it. I need the interface cables for it.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote