Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #1
Maniature

Drives: Camaro 2010 1LT
need help :(

ok i have a 12" kicker COMPVX and a suitable 1000 amp for it and stealthbox for it.....however the compvx nuked on me twice already :(....
the installer checked the wiring and everything he said its wired correctly and then he told me maybe the stock head unit is sending a bad signal? and told me to get an aftermarket HU...need ur help plz!!
Old 05-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #2
SB09

Drives: 2012 SS/RS M6 AGM
From what I see that sub is designed for 750watts RMS. If your amp is rated 1000watts RMS you're overloading that sub by 250watts to me. Hence the reason they're bombing on you. Like putting 200lbs of pressure on something that is rated for 175, somethings gotta give.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB09 View Post
From what I see that sub is designed for 750watts RMS. If your amp is rated 1000watts RMS you're overloading that sub by 250watts to me. Hence the reason they're bombing on you. Like putting 200lbs of pressure on something that is rated for 175, somethings gotta give.
Not necessarily. You can have a 1000w RMS amp wired to a 100w RMS sub. The amp isn't putting out 1000w all the time. Furthermore, if the gains are set low, it will never put out 1000w, regardless of what the volume is. As long as the gains are properly set, such that you aren't sending a clipped signal, the sub isn't distorting and the sub is in an appropriate enclosure with the recommended air space, the amp will not blow the sub. With that being said, I completely agree that the gains not being properly set and speaker distortion most likely blew the sub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniature View Post
ok i have a 12" kicker COMPVX and a suitable 1000 amp for it and stealthbox for it.....however the compvx nuked on me twice already :(....
the installer checked the wiring and everything he said its wired correctly and then he told me maybe the stock head unit is sending a bad signal? and told me to get an aftermarket HU...need ur help plz!!
To better assist you, we need to know the make & model of the amp you have (i.e. is that 1000w RMS or is it 1000w Peak, etc).

We also need to know the details of your box (i.e. cubic air space, sealed, ported, etc.).

Finally, we need to know the details of your CVX and how it is wired into the box. It's a dual voice coil sub but is it the dual 2 ohm version or the dual 4 ohm version? Is it wired in series or parallel? Are both coils wired? If not, you could potentially be sending power from the amp only to 1 coil, thus raising the risk of damage to the sub.

Get us those answers and we can better assist you.
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Maniature

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
Not necessarily. You can have a 1000w RMS amp wired to a 100w RMS sub. The amp isn't putting out 1000w all the time. Furthermore, if the gains are set low, it will never put out 1000w, regardless of what the volume is. As long as the gains are properly set, such that you aren't sending a clipped signal, the sub isn't distorting and the sub is in an appropriate enclosure with the recommended air space, the amp will not blow the sub. With that being said, I completely agree that the gains not being properly set and speaker distortion most likely blew the sub.

To better assist you, we need to know the make & model of the amp you have (i.e. is that 1000w RMS or is it 1000w Peak, etc).

We also need to know the details of your box (i.e. cubic air space, sealed, ported, etc.).

Finally, we need to know the details of your CVX and how it is wired into the box. It's a dual voice coil sub but is it the dual 2 ohm version or the dual 4 ohm version? Is it wired in series or parallel? Are both coils wired? If not, you could potentially be sending power from the amp only to 1 coil, thus raising the risk of damage to the sub.

amp: kicker dx1000.1, 1000w RMS
the box is from ******** the stealth driver side

CVX: 4ohm dvc,, wired parallel to 2ohm, both coils are wired,(it's a 4ohm dvc, wired in parallel to present the amp with a 2ohm load. the amp is 1000W RMS @ a 2ohm load.)
Old 05-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Maniature

Construction: 3/4" MDF
Approx. Empty Weight: 19 lbs
Installation Instructions Included
Fits 10" & 12" round subs and 10" square subs
Mounting Depth: 10.5"
Volume: 1.2 cu.ft
Old 05-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Maniature

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post

also blew another kicker comp as a test sub presenting the amp with a 4ohm load. it was in a 10" ported scosche box. correct air space, box is essentially to spec. we had the gained turned way down, so the sub was never distorting. it blew when the stereo wasn't up that loud. that's how all of them have been.
i think it's most likely the factory deck is square waving the input of the amplifier.
also using a loc80 speaker level to line level converter
Old 05-26-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS L99 Rally Yellow
Is the amp going into protection?
Kevinshawnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
Maniature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinshawnm View Post
Is the amp going into protection?
no,
note: it may have been thru to protection after it blew but we didnt look
Old 05-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

What ohmn is the amp stable down to, What ohmn were the subs you were using?
Old 05-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #10
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinshawnm View Post
What ohmn is the amp stable down to, What ohmn were the subs you were using?
10DX1000.1 is 1 ohm stable
11DX1000.1 is 2 ohm stable

In either case it's wired to a 2 ohm load. Judging by the OP's previous comment, he's using the 11DX since he said it's 1000w RMS @ 2ohms, which wouldn't be the case for the 10DX.

Also, if you refer to post #4, you'll find the answer to the questions you asked.

ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #11
Kevinshawnm
Biggz

The Signal your receiving from your stock Headunit wouldnt have anything to do with it. Are the subs or amps refurbished by chance?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
Maniature

no they are all new....
Old 05-29-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
darkrider01
Aural Assault Vehicle

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS, 2015 Sierra Denali
I personally am not a fan of Kicker and too many stories like yours are the reason. I personally have seen more blown Kicker gear than any other reputable brand.

Would it be possible for you to try a different brand Sub or amp? Also, are you breaking the subs in?
Power Mods * K&N Typhoon CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder cat-back exhaust, Hurst Short Throw Shifter Exterior Mods * Black Phantom Grille * 22" T.I.S. 537MS wheels w/ Nitto INVO rubber * OEM body kit Suspension Mods * BC Racing Coilovers * Lakewood Strut Tower Brace Audio Mods * Stinger SPP 2250 Battery * Mosconi 6to8v8 w/ RCD * Pioneer AVH-X7500BT * Scosche Dash Kit * 2 - Mosconi AS200.4 * 2 - JL Audio 13W6v2 * Focal 165KRX2 Power (active) * Mosconi Gladen One 240.2 * Rockford Fosgate Power T1692
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote