Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2011, 09:49 PM   #1
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Warranty voided due to mods.

I spoke to a guy who works right across the lot from me today who i saw driving a brand new 5.0 today. He used to have a 2010 5th gen. I asked him what was up. He told me he took his car in last week for an oil leak. He stated the service manager at Gordon Chevrolet got him from the waiting room and explained to him that GM had denied the warranty claim and was officially voiding his power train warranty due to his mods.

I asked him what his mods were exactly.

Kooks Long tubes, x pipe & magnaflow axle back.
Custom tune
CAI
VMAX TB
New bushings and sways.

The service dept checked his ECM and sent it off to GM and warranty gone due to the tune. He didn't fight it. He paid to have the oil leak fixed , immediately drove to Brandon Ford and traded in his SS for a new 5.0 Mustang.

I don't really know the guy but he was pretty annoyed that not only was his warranty officially voided but also that they wouldn't even cover the leaky gasket. I asked if he was a member here and he said nope.

Even though i don't have headers or a tune. I do have plenty of other mods and know where i won't be going for any service. Why check the ECM and send off the info for a leaky gasket??

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
Ghost1LE

Drives: 2013 AGM 2SS/RS 1LE
I understand his frustration, but this topic has been beat to death. Get a Tune and that's it your Powertrain Warranty is finished, it doesn't matter what goes wrong or what caused it, a Tune VOIDS the warranty, plain and simple.

I hate to lose a Camaro owner, but He should have known what he was doing when he modded the car, and I'm sure Ford would do the same to him.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:07 PM   #3
2010SS2SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS 2SS
room mate lost his coverage on a Lightning for mods, so it isn't just GM. You better off buying an extra computer module and changing it out if you need to go to dealer.
Like the old sayin means: You play you pay!
2010SS2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:08 PM   #4
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Yeah, its the tune. Nothing else. It isnt even company related. =/
Losing 1 to ford is :( but owell. I cant feel bad... ok feel too bad.
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
I agree and even he did. He didn't fight it. He was furious though that they wouldn't even cover the faulty gasket. He didn't seem all too happy with the car overall anyhow.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
I spoke to a guy who works right across the lot from me today who i saw driving a brand new 5.0 today. He used to have a 2010 5th gen. I asked him what was up. He told me he took his car in last week for an oil leak. He stated the service manager at Gordon Chevrolet got him from the waiting room and explained to him that GM had denied the warranty claim and was officially voiding his power train warranty due to his mods.

I asked him what his mods were exactly.

Kooks Long tubes, x pipe & magnaflow axle back.
Custom tune
CAI
VMAX TB
New bushings and sways.

The service dept checked his ECM and sent it off to GM and warranty gone due to the tune. He didn't fight it. He paid to have the oil leak fixed , immediately drove to Brandon Ford and traded in his SS for a new 5.0 Mustang.

I don't really know the guy but he was pretty annoyed that not only was his warranty officially voided but also that they wouldn't even cover the leaky gasket. I asked if he was a member here and he said nope.

Even though i don't have headers or a tune. I do have plenty of other mods and know where i won't be going for any service. Why check the ECM and send off the info for a leaky gasket??
ford will do the same thing if he mods the mustang by throwing a tune on it...

Who cares about the Blue Oval crowd and their little Ponys? We're getting our Camaro back-and it'll be Supercharged!-MDAII
Team LS3
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #7
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Sounds like he wanted a mustang all along. :( :( :(
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:19 PM   #8
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SS2SS View Post
room mate lost his coverage on a Lightning for mods, so it isn't just GM. You better off buying an extra computer module and changing it out if you need to go to dealer.
Like the old sayin means: You play you pay!
You can't even do that anymore.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
Synergy5/2SS

Drives: 2011 Synergy 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthpanda View Post
Sounds like he wanted a mustang all along. :( :( :(
His reasoning didn't make sense to me either.
Synergy5/2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #10
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Haha wow, check before you do major mods to your car if your worried about your warrenty, i have done alot to my car mod wise, and ive went around everything that would effect my warrenty, worked on my exhaust but not close to void warrenty and no where near anything electrical or under the hood. CAI and stuff is fine, but a tune is a no no.
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #11
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
so the ford dealership let the guy trade in a tuned/ modded SS ?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #12
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post
so the ford dealership let the guy trade in a tuned/ modded SS ?
They probably didn't even check. Personally, I put the stock tune back on the car when I go to the dealership. Just as a precaution, because you never know if they are going to check your ECM. This proves it too
Old 05-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #13
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
They probably didn't even check. Personally, I put the stock tune back on the car when I go to the dealership. Just as a precaution, because you never know if they are going to check your ECM. This proves it too
well with some mods you cant just put stock tune back on. he could have put the tune back on, but once they seen those headers and the new cats they would know we must have had to mess with the tune. i know my dealership said the warranty is voided if you mod the car enough to get a check engine light on.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #14
Weezerj

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS -- 02 Escalade
ZL1
Weezerj is offline   Reply With Quote