Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 01-31-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post

Synner is right. The OEM alignment specs are loose. We need to know what the rear cambers and toes are set to before we through parts at the problem. Not that I mind people throwing parts at the problem, we make money when we sell parts for throwing

Please get your alignment sheet and post it up.
Don't have it. But next time I will pay more attention to the alignment and use the spec advice from here. I have been doing some reading since my last post and I am of the opinion now that my wheel hop problem may be due partially to alignment and partially by the rubbery stock outer trailing arm bushings. I might as well do those before I bother with the alignment.

While i am at it I will turn my attention to the front of the car to finish my suspension upgrade. I will do my research this time to figure out how to improve steering response.

I know lighter tires and wheels will help but i don't want to spend that much right now.

And I also will be looking for a tunnel brace with additional clearance so I can get rid of those washers. Is a Camaro ever really finished?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:20 PM   #16
Gotthat02fire

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1ss IOM
What wheel and tire are you running at the track??? I have more power with less suspesion mods and very little issues with wheel hop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
Don't have it. But next time I will pay more attention to the alignment and use the spec advice from here. I have been doing some reading since my last post and I am of the opinion now that my wheel hop problem may be due partially to alignment and partially by the rubbery stock outer trailing arm bushings. I might as well do those before I bother with the alignment.

While i am at it I will turn my attention to the front of the car to finish my suspension upgrade. I will do my research this time to figure out how to improve steering response.

I know lighter tires and wheels will help but i don't want to spend that much right now.

And I also will be looking for a tunnel brace with additional clearance so I can get rid of those washers. Is a Camaro ever really finished?

Gotthat02fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:34 PM   #17
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:

Replacing the knuckle bush for the trailing arm won't hurt anything, but I am not sure it is necessary.

This is cake and more predictable than wheel hop. Add a set of EP6579 radius bush inserts and tweak the front alignment.

Camber: -.75
Toe: ZERO it out

Drive away from the alignment shop with a good on center feel and much improved turn in.

It would, but we should be able to get her settled down with them.

No.

My notes are in Pedders RED.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
News! Maybe that explains it. What about inners?
The outer trailing arm bushing will definitely help you out. The toe rods don't have any additional busihngs since they mount directly to the rear cradle and the spindle.

Quote:
Been looking at the BMR site. I see now what I am missing. So I will get BK006 outer training arm bushings. Is it also worth doing the BK017 upper control Arm bushings? I will follow this up with a performance alignment.
Those two bushings will definitely help you out some as well as a good performance alignment. There are many variables that go into wheel hop so many times it takes more than the parts you have to cure wheel hop on the manual cars. What tires are you running? under what conditions does the wheel hop occur?
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #19
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR Sales View Post
The outer trailing arm bushing will definitely help you out. The toe rods don't have any additional busihngs since they mount directly to the rear cradle and the spindle.

Those two bushings will definitely help you out some as well as a good performance alignment. There are many variables that go into wheel hop so many times it takes more than the parts you have to cure wheel hop on the manual cars. What tires are you running? under what conditions does the wheel hop occur?
Stock tires and wheels. I want to cure my hop before I go to the track. I experimented trying to launch from a stop and also just by punching it while just moving. It happens when it was warmer last summer and now 50-60 degrees out on a clean tarmac surface.

By the way does your center tunnel brace have any additional clearance over the stock unit?

Also would you any additional recommendations fro the front besides what Justice Pete mentioned?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #20
Fraxum

Quote:
My notes are in Pedders RED.
Hey, thanks for your help and taking the time to sort out my rambling. I really love a good handling car and this one is getting close.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #21
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotthat02fire View Post
What wheel and tire are you running at the track??? I have more power with less suspesion mods and very little issues with wheel hop!
Stock wheels and tires for now. Maybe DRs later after the wheel hop is cured or at least under control. I have had a number of mods done. Not the right combo for my car yet.

Maybe it's me.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #22
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Hey, thanks for your help and taking the time to sort out my rambling. I really love a good handling car and this one is getting close.
So while you are tweaking her, you are lusting for a 1LE Z/28. Now we know what is causing your wheel hop. She is
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:47 AM   #23
BMR Sales

Quote:
Stock tires and wheels. I want to cure my hop before I go to the track. I experimented trying to launch from a stop and also just by punching it while just moving. It happens when it was warmer last summer and now 50-60 degrees out on a clean tarmac surface.

By the way does your center tunnel brace have any additional clearance over the stock unit?

Also would you any additional recommendations fro the front besides what Justice Pete mentioned?
A good set of tires will really help out with the wheel hop also. The stock tires don't do anything to make the wheel hop any better.

Our tunnel brace does give a little additional clearance and if you needed more clearance you could always space it down a little bit.

I would definitely recommend doing the radius rod bushings and even the lower control arm bushing if it was in the budget. We like to run a little more negative camber than he is recommending but either way will work.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #24
Fraxum

Quote:
So while you are tweaking her, you are lusting for a 1LE Z/28. Now we know what is causing your wheel hop. She is
Sorry this thread is a little old. But that was funny. I just can't help myself. I am such a slut.

Last edited by Fraxum; 02-07-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #25
Fraxum

Followup. I finally put those Outer Trailing Arm bushings on.

Good results. Wheelhop gone. The car hooks much better. And the little bit of step-out is also gone. Straight as an arrow.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #26
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
I'm glad I read this thread. I just ordered trailing arms and was going to try them to cure the rear end hop and if it wasn't what I want, change the outer bushing as well...but, I think now I will just order the new bushings as well. Thanks guys, good discussion and a happy ending for the OP (and me).

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 05:56 AM   #27
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Followup. I finally put those Outer Trailing Arm bushings on.

Good results. Wheelhop gone. The car hooks much better. And the little bit of step-out is also gone. Straight as an arrow.
Glad to hear that. Now go have some FUN!
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #28
BMR Sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
I'm glad I read this thread. I just ordered trailing arms and was going to try them to cure the rear end hop and if it wasn't what I want, change the outer bushing as well...but, I think now I will just order the new bushings as well. Thanks guys, good discussion and a happy ending for the OP (and me).
It is definitely a good idea to do the outer trailing arm bushing along with the trailing arms. There is labor that overlaps and they make a pretty big difference as far as performance goes.

Kyle