Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-11-2014, 04:46 PM   #1
NOVAK

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Boston Speaker Upgrade with FARK + Alpine PDX F4 ??

Just installed an Alpine PDX F4 instead of the JL XD 400/4 in the stock location with the ******** FARK kit. I'm running a separate 300 watt amp for my sub in the trunk. I previously had the entire FARK kit with JL XD 400/4 set up and sold the kit a few months ago. I purchased the Alpine PDX F4 because the amp pushes 100 watts to the stock Boston speakers @ 2 ohms and 100 watts to aftermarket 4 ohm speakers. The JL XD 400/4 only outputs 75 watts to aftermarket speakers and pushes 100 watts to the factory 2 ohm Boston speakers. I'm trying to decide on what speakers to purchase to replace my front Boston speakers to be powered by the Alpine amp at 100 watts. What are the specs for the stock Boston speakers? 3-way or 2-way? I find the bass from the sub to be ample enough and I really like audio clarity and highs coming from my speakers. I do not care for a lot of bass coming from the stock speakers so hopefully someone can recommend a good set of speakers in the $150-$300 range. I was leaning toward the JL C3 650's but those are two way speakers so just I'm just looking for a little advice.
NOVAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:49 PM   #2
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
I recommend a component set for the fronts, and 2-way for the rears. What ever brand you like. I have Alpine component and 6x9's.
CreeperRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #3
Camaroshark

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT, 6speed
I did the JL c2-650 components in the front. They're great, but a little bright on treble at higher volumes.

The rears I put in JL c2-690 speakers.

I also used the XD 400 amp with the fark kit,.

Last edited by Camaroshark; 07-12-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Camaroshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #4
Dega Man

Drives: ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAK View Post
Just installed an Alpine PDX F4 instead of the JL XD 400/4 in the stock location with the ******** FARK kit. I'm running a separate 300 watt amp for my sub in the trunk. I previously had the entire FARK kit with JL XD 400/4 set up and sold the kit a few months ago. I purchased the Alpine PDX F4 because the amp pushes 100 watts to the stock Boston speakers @ 2 ohms and 100 watts to aftermarket 4 ohm speakers. The JL XD 400/4 only outputs 75 watts to aftermarket speakers and pushes 100 watts to the factory 2 ohm Boston speakers. I'm trying to decide on what speakers to purchase to replace my front Boston speakers to be powered by the Alpine amp at 100 watts. What are the specs for the stock Boston speakers? 3-way or 2-way? I find the bass from the sub to be ample enough and I really like audio clarity and highs coming from my speakers. I do not care for a lot of bass coming from the stock speakers so hopefully someone can recommend a good set of speakers in the $150-$300 range. I was leaning toward the JL C3 650's but those are two way speakers so just I'm just looking for a little advice.
For the money the infinity Kappa 62.11i is a unbelieveable good sounding speaker with a good powerful amp such as you are using. Do you have photo's to post of the PDX F4 mounted, just curious about the clearance.
Dega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #5
NOVAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
For the money the infinity Kappa 62.11i is a unbelieveable good sounding speaker with a good powerful amp such as you are using. Do you have photo's to post of the PDX F4 mounted, just curious about the clearance.
I'll post some photos as soon as I reinstall my ******** sub box sometime this week. The amp is a tight fit but works. There's about a 1/4" to 1/2" of clearance at the bottom of the amp so the power and ground cable almost touches the floor of the trunk. You wouldn't be able to adjust any settings with the amp installed so it has to slide out of the stock location to adjust.
Old 07-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #6
Texzen

Drives: 2013 SW 2SS/RS/1LE
I was going to recommend the Focal PS165FX "flax" speakers, but they appear to be a bit more, say by 3.5 to just under 2x , than you are budgeting. I have these installed and oh my what a difference. If you can fit it in your budget, I would say your front sound stage is the place to splurge. I would ignore the rears/leave them as is...
Texzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
NOVAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texzen View Post
I was going to recommend the Focal PS165FX "flax" speakers, but they appear to be a bit more, say by 3.5 to just under 2x , than you are budgeting. I have these installed and oh my what a difference. If you can fit it in your budget, I would say your front sound stage is the place to splurge. I would ignore the rears/leave them as is...

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm strongly considering to remove the rear speakers because I barely notice the difference with them disabled through my head unit. I've seen guys install 6.5" components instead of replacing them with 6x9's and that seems to be the way to go if replacing the rear speakers.

I'll definitely consider the focals and wondering if I should run 100 watts to each speaker and tweeter if I disable the rear speakers?
Old 07-25-2014, 01:17 AM   #8
NOVAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dega Man View Post
The amp is a tight fit. I mounted the amp as far up and to the right of the ******** mounting board as possible. The RCA's and power/ground cables do not smash up against the deck when routed down to their respective locations.

Tags
alpine pdx f4, fark, subthump