Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England

Old 05-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
Getting a clear-bra: Blu's story

I decided I wanted a clear-bra for my 1LE before I even had the car. After reading a ton of forum posts (here and other sites), I really wanted Rick at Unique to do the installation and tried to schedule something for a little over a month then finally gave up and had one installed at a different shop today. It was difficult to find installers (XPEL anyway, 3M seems much more common), much less a place with sample photos/good reviews, so I thought I'd post my experience in-case it's helpful for anyone else looking to get PPF installed.

I found this place through XPEL's installer link. They were responsive to my request for a quote and had some positive comments on this site. In the end, they were considerably more $ than other shops so I didn't use them.

http://www.automobiliaautosalon.com/

This place sparked my interest since they have a mobile installation service. Given this, prices seemed reasonable (which are listed on their site) but there wasn't much in terms of sample photos on their site and I couldn't find any customer feedback - good or bad.

http://www.customppf.com/

I also talked to Attention to Detail in Middletown, CT. They were also helpful but admitted to not having much experience with XPEL, so I moved on.

This is the place I ended up using. There was some good feedback on this site, and their prices were fair compared to other quotes I'd gotten. They also said they do a lot of dealership work (Mercedes, etc).

http://www.protectivesolution.com/

In the end, I think they did an ok-to-good job overall at a fair price - but it's far from perfect. It's also better than the alternative - paint chips, which I'd already gotten.

I've attached some pics, mostly of areas I'm not completely happy with. These are things you wouldn't notice unless you're within 2-3 feet of the car. Since I tend to be a perfectionist, I'm interested in comments from anyone else who's had one installed. Is this typical, better or worse than yours? To be completely honest, I regret not being more persistent trying to schedule something with Rick since my perception is his installs are "perfect". Part of me is also thinking/willing to get it redone at Unique if replies are that my installation could-have / should-have been much better. But, if this is typical & a repeat installation will only be marginally better - then I'll feel better that I didn't waste my $.
Attached Images

Old 05-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #2
flht99b

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS RJT
Your installer must have a relative in TN doing the same type of work as mine looks as bad and in places worse than yours. I've seen the work first hand ( sadly AFTER I had someone in TN apply the clear film ) that Derek of Atlanta Protective Films, Inc. does ( too far away for you I know ) and it is 100 times better than the job you and I received by "certified installers ". I'll be having Derek remove/re-install mine in a couple of weeks as I can't live with what I got. BE WARNED, Anyone looking to get the clear paint film protection done, spend the time to find cars the installer has done before you allow these "experts" near your car. Applied correctly the clear film is a paint saver and cannot be detected unless you are only 2 or 3 inches from the seams. Applied in a mediocre fashion the results are awful. You are paying for the care and craftsmanship of the installer.
Ed M.
RJT 2SS/RS, AAM 3.70's, MTI Sway Bars, Shifter & SS brake lines, ZLI calipers, rotors & pads, BMR Trailing & Toe Arms, rear cradle & diff bushes, Pedders XA's, Camber/Toe eccentrics, Radius arm inserts, GTO clutch reservoir, LS9 cam, Comp valve springs, Melling 10296 oil pump, CR5 timing chain, LS6 damper, CAI Cold Air Intake, ARH LT headers w/HF cats, GMPP touring axle back, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Forgeline 20x9.5 & 20x11 DS3 whls, 275/40/20 & 315/35/20 tires, 2011 Convertible spoiler, 1LE front spoiler, Lloyd "SS" Floor Mats, GM Camaro Trunk Mat, wrapped console & Grant steering wheel.
flht99b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Did you pay for that with a Clinton $3 bill?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
What kind of a warranty did you get? I have been looking into this since last year . I was hoping 2 find someone who sprays it on close 2 me,but no luck. I searched every possible kind there is & talked back & forth with other ones that have have had it done. What type they used & what kind of a written warranty did they get. In my area I finally settled with Ziebart Gold Shield. They price it out by areas on the car. This is how i'm having it done,6 in. across the roof edge above windshield-- both mirrors-- both pillars--Full one piece on hood--headlights--driving lights-- Full Facia--Half way back on fenders to center of wheel well--full rockers-- & half way up doors--full rear quarters. They start out by washing car,clay bar it, then wax it. All of this is guaranteed for 10 yrs. at a full 100% warranty. If it turns color, peals,gets stone chips that pro-trude thru the clear shield. They will replace the shield plus any damage 2 the paint in full no charge to you. all the items I mentioned cost $1200 interest free if paid in 1 year. I've seen there work & think it is exceptional.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
bluBlud

I had xpel ultimate film installed, 10 year warranty covering film and labor. Even if I could get them to agree to remove and reinstall, I'm not sure I'd want them to - what's to say it would come out much better? If the feedback keeps coming in that this is a really bad install compared to others, I'd rather eat the $ loss and get it redone by a different shop.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
67RS2010SS

Drives: Maroon 67 rs and CRT 2012 ZL-1
Looks a little rough bring it back and at least try to get some money back. you should barely see the edges of the film when installed. I had automobilia do mine they cut it around my rally stripes on my bumper and you can barely see where.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
The cutting mistakes are poor craftsmanship. But seeing where the film is especially when it's the middle of a panel is something that is impossible to hide, but how easily seen depends on the installer. I doubt you'd get any refund, but I'd say average job overall.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
FAIRNOT LZ1
It's in black & white

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Summit White #1366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67RS2010SS View Post
Looks a little rough bring it back and at least try to get some money back. you should barely see the edges of the film when installed. I had automobilia do mine they cut it around my rally stripes on my bumper and you can barely see where.
Mike post some pic's for him ... I know its hard because yours was the best I've seen to date! but give him an idea of how bad his really came out ... I know I shouldn't say that because them pic's are so close up, but when I looked at yours Mike I was right up close to it ... and it looked awesome!
I agree bring it back for at the least one more try ...

FAIRNOT LZ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
67RS2010SS

Drives: Maroon 67 rs and CRT 2012 ZL-1
Al, I will have to try to take some shots tomorrow went in the garage way to much reflection. I have a hard enough time finding the edge let alone trying to take a pic of it.
blu I know its a bit of a ride but you are more than welcome to take a look at mine if you would like. You should hardly be able to see the edges, and there should be a limited amount of cutting needed as these are usually cut out on a plotter off a computer program.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #10
DBNSSNH

Drives: 2017 2SS, HyperBlue, NPP, M6
Clear bra

bluBlud as u know ..I had mine done thru Rick @ unique and all I'm gonna say is that I was very satisfied compared to this.. I will try to post pics tomorrow..I also know that these front ends are hard to do. I will pm u..
DBNSSNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Z28 Autobot

Drives: 94 Camaro

What to look for starts at 12:12 and more precise is at the 16:20 mark.
Z28 Autobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #12
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
I would request a do-over for the goofed up areas! Black crud under the clear bra is unsat. Also, the cuts look like I did it. Not that I am a qualified installer. That is why you pay to get it installed. My shop had a couple of minor mistakes, but fixed them without any complaints.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
bluBlud

Thanks for all the feedback guys - it's not what I wanted to hear but is what I feared to be true. I did ask for a refund... not hopeful but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #14
DBNSSNH

Drives: 2017 2SS, HyperBlue, NPP, M6
My pics of Xpel clear bra

The shop I went to was very detail oriented and tried to have as few seems as possible. Bassically one sheet for the bottom and one for upper front bumper and its all neatly "tucked" in. Had front bumper, Gills, mirrors done..
Attached Images

DBNSSNH is offline   Reply With Quote