Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-14-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
bumblebeecamaro
Car Lover By Nature

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue Metallic SS
What noticeable difference in aftermarket tune on a stock ZL1?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a tune on my Z even though I don't plan on changing my pulleys anytime soon. do you guys (and gals) think I would notice much of a difference with an aftermarket tune while running stock boost levels?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
trainman

Drives: 2012 CTS V,2000 Firehawk, SRT Ram
I don't know where the factory redline is set on the ZL1's but I have a 2012 CTS V Coupe with basically the same engine (LSA, 6M) and my redline was at 6,200 rpm. I had the car dynoed pure stock and it made 458 RWHP @ 6,200. I then had Charlie at RPM Motors in Santa Clarita retune the car and raise the rev limiter....no other changes and it made 491 RWHP @ 6,550 (483 @ 6,200) and there was a real noticeable difference. Before I was constantly bumping the rev limiter, and now I power shift @ 6,600 and the car runs great. My dealer is allowing me to get the tune along with a few simple mods when I choose to do so (and still keep the warranty). I have since added an AIRAID CAI and nothing else and the car is at 515.6 RWHP. At Famoso Raceway in May (DA 1,200+ ) I ran 12.24 @ 118.91 on street tires. There is a video in the "other cars" section on this forum where I beat a 2014 Shelby GT500 by 3 carlengths ( because of a .002 reaction time) and my ET was even .06 quicker, both cars on street tires. I would say ask your dealer before getting the tune because of warranty issues if that is important to you.
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:05 AM   #3
2014-2ssfresno
FreznalgasZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Damn trainman, nice reaction time. I am planning on bringing my car down hopefully in the next few months. I live in Fresno but have not finished the break in period yet and want to do a few mods before I hit Famoso.
2014-2ssfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Joe@TuneTime
Sales@TuneTimePerformance

Drives: Camaro SS
While you will pick up power tuning a stock car, most of what you will feel is in the way the car just feels, it changes the characteristics of it mostly. Especially if you have an Auto car, tuning the trans plays a huge part in the feel of these cars on the road.
Joe@TuneTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
trainman

Drives: 2012 CTS V,2000 Firehawk, SRT Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014-2ssfresno View Post
Damn trainman, nice reaction time. I am planning on bringing my car down hopefully in the next few months. I live in Fresno but have not finished the break in period yet and want to do a few mods before I hit Famoso.
That was pure luck , .003 from going red....I don't do that every time, but in my SRT-10 Ram I once had a .009 vs a Lightning, a .017 vs a Z06 and against the track director at Speedworld in phoenix I had a .000. Look forward to seeing you at Famoso, is your ZL1 auto or manual? Next test and tune is Sept 6th (Friday night). You should get a baseline before you do mods, so you can determine how much each mod gains. But that's just me. Here's the GT500 beatdown.
http://youtu.be/SVEwQbBmSGo
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #6
charlietuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@TuneTime View Post
While you will pick up power tuning a stock car, most of what you will feel is in the way the car just feels, it changes the characteristics of it mostly. Especially if you have an Auto car, tuning the trans plays a huge part in the feel of these cars on the road.
A little bird told me the stock tune pulls a ton of timing on the automatic cars during aggressive up shifts. Any thoughts or comments on this?
Old 08-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #7
2014-2ssfresno
FreznalgasZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
That was pure luck , .003 from going red....I don't do that every time, but in my SRT-10 Ram I once had a .009 vs a Lightning, a .017 vs a Z06 and against the track director at Speedworld in phoenix I had a .000. Look forward to seeing you at Famoso, is your ZL1 auto or manual? Next test and tune is Sept 6th (Friday night). You should get a baseline before you do mods, so you can determine how much each mod gains. But that's just me. Here's the GT500 beatdown.
http://youtu.be/SVEwQbBmSGo
I have the auto, I agree with you I plan on getting a baseline before mods. I look forward to seeing you as well. Wow, you totally smoked him. Cool video.
2014-2ssfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
A little bird told me the stock tune pulls a ton of timing on the automatic cars during aggressive up shifts. Any thoughts or comments on this?
I'm sure there's a lot of torque management written into the OEM tune, too.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
SSTAT

Drives: 2012 ZL1, 1997SS NASA Road Racer
Anyone else have a comment on raising the rev limiter? I'm hitting the limiter all the time too, she just doesn't seem to be ready to give up at 6200. Surely with all the modded cars here there must be a few others with a raised limiter and stock internals. Trainman was still building power from 6200 to 6500. Thoughts? I thought RPM limits had more to do with valvetrain and fuel than a forged/non-forged issue. Surely the ZL1 has a valvetrain capable of 6500 RPM no?
SSTAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:44 PM   #10
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I'm sure there's a lot of torque management written into the OEM tune, too.
...ask and you shall receive! Radz chimes in! Missed you pal...
Old 08-16-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSTAT View Post
Anyone else have a comment on raising the rev limiter? I'm hitting the limiter all the time too, she just doesn't seem to be ready to give up at 6200. Surely with all the modded cars here there must be a few others with a raised limiter and stock internals. Trainman was still building power from 6200 to 6500. Thoughts? I thought RPM limits had more to do with valvetrain and fuel than a forged/non-forged issue. Surely the ZL1 has a valvetrain capable of 6500 RPM no?
...yup. fuel shutoff I feel from factory is too low on top end RPM...just when it starts to get good, bingo...bounce. Either watch the cumbersome right side tach in the cluster, the fuzzy slow HUD,<2012> or toggle into the bouncing flashing balls in the HUD display.....the LSA in the ZL1 could and should have broader shoulders and a wider RPM band.