Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 04-19-2009, 09:08 PM   #1
MikeBing

Drives: 2010 CGM/IO 2SS RS
e46 (2001-2006) BMW M3 vs. Camaro SS

I haven't seen this yet, and I'm just curious. I drive a bimmer so don't trash them too badly haha. I've actually put my M3 up for sale to pay for the CGM 2SS RS I've ordered

Ok, so ready, set, go.
MikeBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #2
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Well the M3 is going to have alot more steering feel and respond a good deal better, however the Camaro is going to pull alot harder and look alot better imo.

Quality/interior/attention to detail wise, ill bet your car was 50kish when you bought it so dont expect this to be comparable.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
well the camaro beat it by 3 seconds or so on the nurburgring
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
well the camaro beat it by 3 seconds or so on the nurburgring
Did anyone see the "Top Gear" episode where they had that expert lady driver take that delivery van and try and beat Jeremy's time in some car using the ford van?

She was damn good, and she was actually passing these stunned looking drivers. I think she even passed a motorcycle at one point.

I wonder if someone who was a real expert on the ring would be able to get an even better time in the SS and LS for that matter?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
MikeBing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Well the M3 is going to have alot more steering feel and respond a good deal better, however the Camaro is going to pull alot harder and look alot better imo.

Quality/interior/attention to detail wise, ill bet your car was 50kish when you bought it so dont expect this to be comparable.
I really hope I haven't been spoiled by the interior of the BMW, though the Camaro's does look very appealing. I know, I know, "who buys a Camaro for the interior?" but still, it's the part of the car you see most of the time. I'm thinking that if I am in the least bit disappointed in the interior, the sound of the V8 and the feel of the car accelerating will certainly make up for it. I've been listening to an I6 for too long, and I must say I'm ready to hear the V8 roar. In terms of looks...it could go either way for me, mainly because I've put some money into my car. But I'm sure the day I see my car in person, the tables will definitely turn.
Old 04-19-2009, 09:52 PM   #6
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBing View Post
I really hope I haven't been spoiled by the interior of the BMW, though the Camaro's does look very appealing. I know, I know, "who buys a Camaro for the interior?" but still, it's the part of the car you see most of the time. I'm thinking that if I am in the least bit disappointed in the interior, the sound of the V8 and the feel of the car accelerating will certainly make up for it. I've been listening to an I6 for too long, and I must say I'm ready to hear the V8 roar. In terms of looks...it could go either way for me, mainly because I've put some money into my car. But I'm sure the day I see my car in person, the tables will definitely turn.
What are the top 3 things you love about your own car (the m3) and the 3 least fav things
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 04-19-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
MikeBing

Quote:
What are the top 3 things you love about your own car (the m3) and the 3 least fav things
hmmmm....this could be tough. how about 4?

Like:
1. I LOVE the fender flares over the rear wheels. looks beautiful with aftermarket wheels/tires and some coilovers.
2. Though I just ragged on the sound of the car, the engine is pretty incredible: A high revving 3.2 liter with 333 hp. Very well engineered.
3. The interior quality is a step above most cars. I love the feel of the thick steering wheel...which sounds weird but whatever.
4. It has a big trunk, and can carry four comfortably, yet it's still quick.

Dislike:
1. Seats are rough on the lower back for longer drives
2. Modifications cost serious $$$$$. same with maintenance work.
3. Something breaking down is always in the back of my mind. I have the SMG, so if that goes bad, I'm out thousands.
4. no spare...though my camaro won't either. i can get over that though.

I'm sure I overlooked a couple things, but that's just a quick list off the top of my head.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Chewy
My boredom isn't safe

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to Chewy Send a message via MSN to Chewy
They are definately different style cars - but performance seems to be matched fairly well. camaro is a bigger car wit compensating extra power e46 m3 is one of my fav cars, along with the e39 M5

I think your doing good going with a camaro (well, you can't go wrong picking between those two!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Did anyone see the "Top Gear" episode where they had that expert lady driver take that delivery van and try and beat Jeremy's time in some car using the ford van?

She was damn good, and she was actually passing these stunned looking drivers. I think she even passed a motorcycle at one point.

I wonder if someone who was a real expert on the ring would be able to get an even better time in the SS and LS for that matter?
sabine schmitz
Old 04-19-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Another bimmer owner here trading my 07 E92 328i for a Camaro SS. I need more power
Old 04-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #10
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBing View Post
hmmmm....this could be tough. how about 4?

Like:
1. I LOVE the fender flares over the rear wheels. looks beautiful with aftermarket wheels/tires and some coilovers.
2. Though I just ragged on the sound of the car, the engine is pretty incredible: A high revving 3.2 liter with 333 hp. Very well engineered.
3. The interior quality is a step above most cars. I love the feel of the thick steering wheel...which sounds weird but whatever.
4. It has a big trunk, and can carry four comfortably, yet it's still quick.

Dislike:
1. Seats are rough on the lower back for longer drives
2. Modifications cost serious $$$$$. same with maintenance work.
3. Something breaking down is always in the back of my mind. I have the SMG, so if that goes bad, I'm out thousands.
4. no spare...though my camaro won't either. i can get over that though.

I'm sure I overlooked a couple things, but that's just a quick list off the top of my head.
i think the camaro is going to be good for you, it seems like the things you enjoy most about your M can be acheived with the SS. The high revving engine and german styling cues are going to be gone, but you'll forget about them when you've got a big American V8.

The only thing is interior quality.. there is a huge gap. Im guessing you'll end up looking past it, but at the same time if it was me id have a hard time dealing with the change.

BUT. you'll end up being very very happy with it when it comes times for work on the car and you dont have to sell organs to afford it.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:34 AM   #11
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post

yeah that was awesome
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Straight line performance goes to the camaro .. corners go to the BMW ... it is hard to compare the two though as I view them as having two different purposes and price points ..

And btw .. I own a 135i (trading / selling for the camaro)... I'd like to see that comparison too as it is a little more in the same pricerange (although the BMW is still a a little more expensive) ..

Crowley
Old 04-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
The only thing is interior quality.. there is a huge gap. Im guessing you'll end up looking past it, but at the same time if it was me id have a hard time dealing with the change.
There is quality, and there's materials.

Not for anything, but I feel it's important to differenciate. In the materials, I agree there's a huge gap (about 20 thousand dollars worth )...but not in quality (as in fit, finish, rattles, etc).

EDIT: And according to Edmunds, the Camaro accelerates to 60 faster, goes through the quarter faster, brakes faster, and goes through the slalom at a higher mph than the 2001 M3.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
There is quality, and there's materials.

Not for anything, but I feel it's important to differenciate. In the materials, I agree there's a huge gap (about 20 thousand dollars worth )...but not in quality (as in fit, finish, rattles, etc).

EDIT: And according to Edmunds, the Camaro accelerates to 60 faster, goes through the quarter faster, brakes faster, and goes through the slalom at a higher mph than the 2001 M3.

Good point. I guess it is important to specify that the MATERIALS used are going to be a good deal different, not the care to which they were put together. Its not going to be bad build quality, but its not going to measure up to the same standard of materials either

Tags
bmw m3