Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 AM   #113
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
he just wants to drive your Camaro

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:57 AM   #114
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
he just wants to drive your Camaro
...you just want to sell it.

Mary - Orange Camaros Rule!
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:06 AM   #115
pistolgripcopo1
pistolgripcopo1

Drives: 2010 SS Camaro Carbon fiber gray
How much?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 AM   #116
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaynard View Post
So, to sum up, asking someone to 'prove' to you that they can afford something IS offensive. In fact, it is one of the most offensive things a person can do. Assuming the worst in people is not a quality that one should strive for.
I some what disagree. I agree you shouldn't count anyone out based on outward appearances but you most certainly should ask questions to find out how serious they are to buy. If your selling a $40k car and just toss someone the keys and say "See you in a few!" you're taking a big risk.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:24 AM   #117

Drives: 2011 Z06, 2004 Cobra, 1991 MR2Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
That's because typically if someone is serious about buying a car they have the money and are not afraid of or unwilling to abide by those terms.

Only someone who's jerking you around or not really interested in buying your car, or can't afford it, would not work around those rules.

No I wouldn't bring ~$7,000 cash and meet a complete stranger. I'm serious about buying a car, and I can afford it - but I'm not stupid. Call me cynical.

Whatever works for you - and whatever works for me.
880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #118
mhood
Orange Camaros Rule!

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3 RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
If your selling a $40k car and just toss someone the keys and say "See you in a few!"
That's quite a leap from demanding 25% down in cash and/or a letter from their bank. How about a "no joyrides" policy? That puts the seller in the driver's seat (literally if necessary) with regard to the test drive (if any). You don't sell things by insulting potential buyers.

Mary - Orange Camaros Rule!
mhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:42 AM   #119
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Sounds like to me he just wanted a test drive before he bought his vert and his dealer didn't have any Camaro's to drive.

What you asked for isn't unreasonable at all imo. After all when you go and buy a new car the dealership asks for proof that you can afford it. But personally I never let anyone drive my car. His name isn't on your insurance and if something happens you and your insurance will be paying not him.
When I test drove mine, they hadn't pulled my credit yet. Just saying. Op, do whatever you like. Myself, I'm not that anal about stuff like that. So what if he doesn't buy it. You think a realtor sell every house they show? You think every car salesman sales every car to every customer that test drives? No. They don't. It's just nature of the beast. Now, if your test driving with this person and he get unruly with your car, you just reach over and bitch slap him. End of story. Lol
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #120
BURNT ORANGE SS

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro 2SS LS3
If you don't have the cash you are not driving it. As simple as that. You don't need to feel guilty.
BURNT ORANGE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:51 AM   #121
BURNT ORANGE SS

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro 2SS LS3
By the time you bitch slap him, your car is in the wall, with you paying the insurance deductible.
BURNT ORANGE SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:57 AM   #122
hunt

Drives: 10 SS 08 675 13 Stryker 10 S1000RR
Quote:
That's because typically if someone is serious about buying a car they have the money and are not afraid of or unwilling to abide by those terms.

Only someone who's jerking you around or not really interested in buying your car, or can't afford it, would not work around those rules.
I wouldn't buy from you, no way am i giving someone i don't know a 25% nonrefundable deposit of cash for a 25-35k car. I wouldn't pay you cash for the deposit or final payment period.

Just because those terms benefit you greatly doesn't mean anyone who is unwilling is a deadbeat.. They just might not trust someone with ridiculous terms like that.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #123
hunt

Drives: 10 SS 08 675 13 Stryker 10 S1000RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by 880 View Post
No I wouldn't bring ~$7,000 cash and meet a complete stranger. I'm serious about buying a car, and I can afford it - but I'm not stupid. Call me cynical.

Whatever works for you - and whatever works for me.
I agree 100%.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #124
jrisebo

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS "Bumble C"
Quote:
When I sell a car, I've always requested at least 25% cash on the spot to hold it if they want to buy it, non refundable. I also will not transer a title until I am paid in full in either cash or I have verified and deposited the cashiers bank check (ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL CHECKS ACCEPTED).

Anyone I've dealt with on that issue has been cooperative.

People cant read can they?

I think the gist of your post is if you want the car, want me to hold it for you, its 25% down.

Doesnt really mean the first time someone comes to look at it you want 25% right? If they say yea, I will take it, let me get the money, its 25% down?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #125
2ndtimess
2ndtimeSS

Drives: 2010 2SS 6 speed Infernal Orange
Take him for a test drive with you behind the wheel. Especially when he flat out told you he was not going to buy it, until he looked at other cars. Protect your asset (car) My friend had a 1969 Plymouth roadrunner that he let a girl test drive because she wanted to buy it. She wrapped it around the pole on the next block. Got out of the car and said she would not buy it (obviously) and walked away. He got smoked by the insurance company on the value of the car, plus the damage to the pole since the car was registered to him. Pick your battles carefully especially when it is you that stands to lose the most.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:07 PM   #126
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
I have always gone along on their test drives. You really need to size people up also when they come to LOOK at the car. It's harder with a performance car as some people WILL take the opportunity to joy ride with no intention to buy. It's best to get it out in front that anyone coming to look at the car will need cash in hand or a deposit of a sizable amount if they intend to go on a test drive.
Quote:
I some what disagree. I agree you shouldn't count anyone out based on outward appearances but you most certainly should ask questions to find out how serious they are to buy. If your selling a $40k car and just toss someone the keys and say "See you in a few!" you're taking a big risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhood View Post
That's quite a leap from demanding 25% down in cash and/or a letter from their bank. How about a "no joyrides" policy? That puts the seller in the driver's seat (literally if necessary) with regard to the test drive (if any). You don't sell things by insulting potential buyers.
I never said you should demand anything be given to you, but if they intend to actually buy the car then they should show up ready to deal. If they aren't ready to purchase then they are a tire kicker and wasting everyones time. Also for better results when selling avoid craigslist. It's free but you get a lot of tire kickers and annoying questions that lead nowhere.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote