Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 12-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Senator Richard Shelby contact info.

http://shelby.senate.gov/public/inde...lSenatorShelby

If you feel like it, of course...

This guy wants to filibuster the newest plan to redirect 15 billion from the fuel-efficiency plan to a bridge loan. This money is expected to help the Big three last until March 31st. From now till then is the time-frame in which the next congress will decide the ultimate fate of the Domestic Auto Industry.

Shelby, in effect, is willing to compromise the existence of the Big three. They only have till the end of the month before things get REAL ugly. By using a filibuster, he'd extend debates likely forever, and nothing would get done.

I've sent him a letter...even though I'm not from Alabama...I wanted to put this up here for anybody else who might want to "tell him off".

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4652762.shtml

Quote:
(The Politico) Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), ranking member of the Senate Banking Committee, threatened to filibuster any auto bailout deal that reaches the Senate floor during the next week.

During an appearance on "Fox News Sunday," Shelby called a Big Three bailout "a bridge loan to nowhere." Democratic leaders in the House and Senate are considering a $15 billion "bridge loan" to keep GM, Ford and Chrysler operating until next spring.

"This is a down payment on many billions to come," Shelby warned. "This is not something that happened overnight. This is 30 years in the making. These companies basically have failed or are failing. They probably need, according to some people, about 60 percent of the management to go, and about 40 percent downsize of the workers."

Shelby added: "We would like to save them, but they've got to save themselves, but I don't believe they're willing to save themselves because they could be restructured the right way and they're not willing to do that."

Shelby said he would like to see an "extended debate" on any bailout package that reaches the Senate floor, but did not know if there was enough support to sustain one.

"It depends what happens in the meantime," Shelby said. "I know people want to get home for Christmas. They want to get outta here and come back [in January]. What I fear, Chris, is the first down payment is just the beginning. It's an installment plan of billions and billions and billions, and we don't know the endgame."

"We can't save people who can't save themselves," Shelby said.

Sen. Carl Levin (D-Mich.), a leading ally of the Big Three on Capitol Hill, predicted there will be an agreement "in 24 hours," but he would not predict whether it would get Senate approval.

"I think they're very close to a deal, I think there will be a deal and that will happen in 24 hours," Levin told host Chris Wallace. "Obviously, that's a much more complicated question of whether the votes are there. What I'm confident of is that a bill will be introduced."
Old 12-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #2
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Done. As I have said before, I would ask that anyone who writes to him or any representative, do so carefully. Type your letter in Word first and re-read it a couple of times. Make sure all grammar is correct. And make logical and factual arguments. This is the only way we can have a positive impact on this situation.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #3
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I would write him a letter...but it would be so full of insults and expletives that I doubt it would change his mind...so I won't.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #4
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
I would write him a letter...but it would be so full of insults and expletives that I doubt it would change his mind...so I won't.
It might make you feel better, though. I'd encourage it. You're probably not the only one.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
RickZ

Drives: 1983 Camaro Z28
I wonder if the fact that his state is home to a Toyota engine plant is affecting his decision
Old 12-07-2008, 09:54 PM   #6
HeatherR

Drives: 2009 CTS, 2008 Solstice GXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickZ View Post
I wonder if the fact that his state is home to a Toyota engine plant is affecting his decision
You bet it is! Look at the biggest congressional critics (mostly southern states with BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, etc.--they all have foreign plants (with all the tax abatements they supported to get them there).
HeatherR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
You can't fillibuster by yourself. I think the agreement has enough bipartisan support that it should be fillibuster proof.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 12:08 AM   #8
stovt001

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherR View Post
You bet it is! Look at the biggest congressional critics (mostly southern states with BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, etc.--they all have foreign plants (with all the tax abatements they supported to get them there).
Yup, gotta love all the guys who have subsidize foreign transplants for years suddenly act like they think the government shouldn't give monetary support to automakers. I can respect people who want the free market to take its course and don't want the government to interfere, period, but you can't just change your mind on that issue from one company to another. That just doesn't fly.

Just a dream away
Old 12-08-2008, 01:54 AM   #9
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
where does he live
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

fwiw; this is what I sent him...
Quote:
Dear Senator Shelby,

I don't live in your state...but your voice still seems to reach my ears from halfway across the country. God bless the Internet, right?

I'm contacting you regarding the current Automaker issue. More specifically, I'm contacting you regarding your recent statements about a filibuster. CBS News has you quoted as saying, “We would like to save them, but they've got to save themselves, but I don't believe they're willing to save themselves because they could be restructured the right way and they're not willing to do that."

Now, normally, I would thank you for your service in the senate…because serving the people is an honorable job…however, I won’t. Because after considering the circumstances and realizing you would attempt to undo via filibuster what it has taken nearly a month to put together, I believe wholeheartedly you are a detriment to the congress.

Needless to say, I am appalled at the logic you’re weaving… I cannot believe you would ignore ALL the testimony of those companies’ CEOs. I cannot believe you would ignore ALL the details outlined in their plans for viability…plans that they are committed to.

I’ve read all 37 pages of General Motors’ submitted plan, sir…and I can tell you that as an outside observer, they are poised to take back the market that was once theirs. It seems to me as though you have NOT read it and the others. Because there are notable portions of the above “plan” that specifically addresses your statement above; they ARE willing to change themselves, Senator Shelby. And in fact if you open your eyes – you can see that they’ve BEEN changing for years now. Total hourly pay per hour is now 25 to 35 dollars at GM, and it’s 45 to 50 for the likes of Toyota. How is that not competitive? All three companies still hold approximately 52% market share and likely larger once the economy returns to growth, how is that failed business when it’s three companies against more than 6? On top of that, 3 of the 4 last Car/Truck of the year awards in the United States has gone to GM vehicles. Further, GM alone has more vehicles with over 30mpg than any other manufacturer. Fuel-efficient vehicles are what people “want”, so how is that a failed product portfolio?

Also, the $15 billion bridge-bridge loan is not NEW money…you are not saving the taxpayers ANYTHING by attempting to delay or ‘debate’ this. You have the very likely potential of causing more harm than good, because an auto Industry meltdown, which is within sight, will cost the country 100s of billions of dollars of irretrievable losses. The 15 billion, as I’m sure you well know, is coming from the pool of money originally destined for retooling plants to meet the new CAFÉ standards. Why resist this? It’s just reallocating the purpose of money already being sent to the automakers. Money that, I might add, is going to be useless if there are no automakers around to use it.

I want to ask you sir…to promise the people of the country you serve that your motives are not related in any way to having foreign manufacturer’s car plants in your state. I've learned in my research that you were in favor of hundreds of millions of incentives for foriegn automakers to build plants in your state. If that is the case, then you are undeniably part of the problem in this country: a growing population of sellouts, and narrow-minded individuals unable to see the big picture. If not, then I’m afraid you’re ignoring the most important parts of this issue. I say that because a man of your experience and standing would surely not look to filibuster this move of congress if he had all the facts at his disposal.

Finally, I want to repeat a piece of common rhetoric, but I hope it hits home this time: you do realize that if you succeed in influencing votes against this, you will be singularly responsible for putting more than 3 MILLION people out of a job, and dealing the final blow to the American economy? I’m not buying into fear-mongering, Senator – I’m well versed in this situation, and I’ve read many arguments for and against that possibility; it’s the God’s-Honest truth.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:42 PM   #11
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
Could not have said it better myself.

Good for you!

The guy is a sellout and should be recalled.
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #12
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
POWNED!!! Nice. That one had a nice little sting, and it was great!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:53 PM   #13
stovt001

Now that, ladies and gentlemen, is how you write a letter to an elected official. Polite, but firm, clear, opinionated, and factual.

Just a dream away
Old 12-09-2008, 12:20 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham

Thanks...I had a little fun writing it, but I meant every word.