Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 06-20-2007, 10:48 PM   #1
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Things you should know about cops

Since we had a few funny ones going around...thought you all might enjoy this one!

Subject: What you should know about cops

When you see an emergency vehicle behind you with its lights and sirens on, pull to the RIGHT, and Stop. We are usually required to pass cars on the left.

When you're driving in the fast lane and you see a cop behind you, don't go 5 mph under the speed limit. We are not impressed by how safe of a driver you can be, we're trying to go help someone (or catch that guy in the SUV that just cut you off). Safely move over and let us pass please.

If you get a warning instead of a ticket from a motorcycle cop, go buy a lottery ticket, because you've already beaten the odds.

When you see an officer conducting a traffic stop, or with a suspect in handcuffs, it is generally not a good idea to approach him and ask for directions. If you do, don't expect the officer to be nice when he tells you to get lost, and don't expect the officer to take the time to explain.

If a cop causes a car accident we usually get a ticket, and sometimes we get suspended When is the last time you got 3 days off [without pay] for rear-ending a guy at Wal-Mart?

If you think you can fan all the pot smoke out of the car before we smell it, good luck.

We know you've had more than 2 beers. When I've had two beers, I didn't hit six parked cars or drive my car through the front doors of a Toys-R-Us, pissed my pants, or passed out at a traffic light.

Here's how to get out of a ticket. DON'T BREAK THE LAW.

If you drive a piece of crap, that is why you're getting pulled over.

In one week I pulled over 10 cars for minor equipment violations.

5 out of 10 had no vehicle insurance.

3 out of 10 had suspended driver's licenses.

2 out of 10 had warrants.

1 out of 10 had felony warrants.

1 was a known sex offender with his 12 year old niece in the car without her mother's knowledge.

If you've just been pulled over doing 70 in a 35, do not greet the officer with "what seems to be the problem, officer".

We get coffee breaks too, and sometimes we run into stores and do some shopping during them.

When you're the victim of a burglary, take the time you spend waiting for the officer to find the model #'s and the serial #'s of the stuff that was taken.

Some cops are just jerks, but take heart in the fact that other cops don't like them either.

If it's nighttime and you're driving a vehicle with tinted windows and I pull you over, it's not because of your skin color. I usually can't tell if the vehicle even has a driver until the windows rolled down.

Every time you hear on the news about people running away from a crazed gunman, someone's son or daughter in a police uniform is running TOWARD that crazed gunman.

Yes it's true; cops usually don't give other cops tickets. Think of it as an employee discount, perk or benefit. Other Cops are family and you wouldn't give your brother a ticket if you were a cop either.

If your local police agency has a helicopter everyone knows it's loud and annoying, but did you know it can cover the same area as 15-20 patrol officers, and safely chase criminals that are driving 90 MPH through city streets. Many times the guy has no idea it's there and
slows down.

Your 5 year old kid getting pushed down by another 5 year old kid is NOT a police matter; talk to the other kid's parents, not the police.

If your kid won't do his homework or do his chores, 911 is not the answer for a uniformed parent.

Police work is...writing reports.

If you rob a gas station you're only going to get $20, but I get to see a K-9 dog use your arm as a chew toy. For all I care you can keep the $20.

In 1 year of patrol work in a large city only about 10 minutes would be cool enough to be on the television show, COPS. But if COPS was about report writing and accident reports each show would be a year long.

Every traffic stop could end in gunfire, but we have to be polite and professional until that time.

I've taken about the same amount of men and women to jail for domestic violence, so NO it's not always the man.

People love fire fighters.......................................... .....WHY?

If you find crack pipes in the ladies purse, there is a good chance they belong to her.

If the light was yellow, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Cops know you pay taxes and that your taxes pay cops' salaries. Cops also pay taxes, which also pay cops' salaries so, hey; this traffic stop is on me. Now sign here; press hard, there are five copies.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Well put TAG. I enjoyed the read, and half of that stuff I know from experience with police friends.
Mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:24 AM   #3
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
[B]
Cops know you pay taxes and that your taxes pay cops' salaries. Cops also pay taxes, which also pay cops' salaries so, hey; this traffic stop is on me. Now sign here; press hard, there are five copies.
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:27 AM   #4
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
Haha... good stuff. Here's another one, If you are in the military, don't expect to play that card and get out of a ticket. I had a sheriff get me in PA. Even looked at my military ID. I admit, I was speeding, and he got me for 74 in a 55 at the bottom of a big mountain where he was sitting. Traffic was light and I wasn't trying to race or anything, just driving fast at a speed that I though was reasonable. To top it off, All the charges didn't add up to the amount listed on the ticket. I wrote a nasty letter explaining this and included it with the full incorrect amount that he listed ($10 more than the fees added up to), and got a $20 check in the mail from the judge magistrate. I guess you can call it karma. On the other hand, I think the U.S. army sticker I had on my Camaro helped me out once. I came out of a parking lot sideways at Salisbury beach, MA (Hey I was 19 and acting like a total idiot. Lesson learned.), and got stopped by a cop on foot. He took a look at my license and registration, looked at the sticker in the window and my dog tags hanging in the mirror, and told me to stop driving like an idiot and let me go. I guess it goes both ways. Usually if you aren't near a base or anything, the cops are much more polite, as long as you weren't being totally stupid. Near a base, they are so used to seeing military that there's little chance of getting even a warning. If you get pulled, you hhave about a 99% chance getting a ticket.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:17 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I read over all of those again...every single one of them is TRUE. Personally, I like firefighters. They are all EMT's, so they help me out all the time.

I usually extend a courtesy to military folks....depending on the situation. I have had waaaay too many bad experiences w/ young, drunk, military guys. I'm holding myself back here. There's only a few that cause problems, but it's hurting it for everyone else. There's a hotel in my patrol section where a good 100 or so young military folks will go to get off the base for the weekend. Fights....always fights....it gets old and it's rediculous.

I also had the wife of an older military man involved in an accident a couple weeks ago. She hadn't had insurnace on her car since Aug 06. Yeah...I was ticked off. No, she wasn't special. I let her purchase new insurance on the spot over the phone to prevent her car from being towed. YES...I wrote her a ticket (not only did I want to, but I had to since it was on an accident report).
Old 06-21-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
The military thing is hit or miss in my mind.

I got out of a ticket driving through Nevada on my way to Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri, and the guy let me off on a professional courtesy. I wasn't even going to mention the military thing, but he saw my ID in my wallet.

However, when I was stationed in Ft. Lewis, WA I was nailed without a second thought. I was even wearing my uniform at the time.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Yeah usually if you are near a base you have no chance of getting out of a ticket. I'm stationed in Hampton Roads, the largest concentration of military in the world. I don't expect a courtesy from anybody. I am subject to laws just like anyone else. I won't mention it if I ever get pulled unless the cop sees my ID in my wallet or am on TDY somewhere. I got pulled in MN on a wide open road on my way back to Minneapolis for speeding, and I had to explain why I was there in a rental and so on. The Sherrif (so fat he couldn't tuck his shirt in) let me go with a verbal. I was cool with that. I've been in the army for seven years, I'm out of that hooah hooah go army phase. The young guys are always getting into trouble with fighting and such. Especially the ones still in school that have that huge cocky streak. They'll grow out of it. There really is some corrupt stuff that goes on on military bases. We just try to keep it in house. Sometimes it just gets out to the public that's all.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:47 PM   #8
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Yeah, you are definitely right about not catching a break near military bases.

I just hit six years in the Army this June, what is your MOS? I'm a combat engineer myself.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Quote:
Yes it's true; cops usually don't give other cops tickets. Think of it as an employee discount, perk or benefit.
BRAVO! BRAVO Tag!!! I enjoyed reading this!!!

...and as for the rest of you...
Quote:
Here's how to get out of a ticket. DON'T BREAK THE LAW.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 01:54 AM   #10
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

I'm an 88M, Motor Transport Operator, or in layman's terms, a truck driver. Having over 200,000 documented miles, I'd say I know a thing or two about the road. Of course not breaking the law is the way to not get tickets, but I prefer to push my luck a little bit and try not to get caught. I will gladly pay any concequences if I do get caught. I'm a citizen just like anyone else, and while I do not expect a break from anybody, it is nice to be cut a little bit of slack every once in awhile. Who doesn't want that?
Old 06-22-2007, 06:01 AM   #11
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Cops too are citizens like everyone else; tax payers as mentioned. Difference is, they are held to a higher standard than your average citizen because they are "supposed" to be law enforcers... These are individuals whom we trust to protect and serve the public. They are suppose to enforce the law, not break it. sheesh...

Nobody's above the law... not even cops. There's no such thing as a "perk" or an "employee discount" when authorities disregard and trash the law. Happens enough in politics. And if they become law breakers, they too should be held accountable for their actions. It's just plain wrong for the justice system to excuse a select few and flog the rest.
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #12
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenhower View Post
Cops too are citizens like everyone else; tax payers as mentioned. Difference is, they are held to a higher standard than your average citizen because they are "supposed" to be law enforcers... These are individuals whom we trust to protect and serve the public. They are suppose to enforce the law, not break it. sheesh...

Nobody's above the law... not even cops. There's no such thing as a "perk" or an "employee discount" when authorities disregard and trash the law. Happens enough in politics. And if they become law breakers, they too should be held accountable for their actions. It's just plain wrong for the justice system to excuse a select few and flog the rest.
I agree 1000000000000000%. I know all eyes are on me when I'm on the road in uniform both in the police car and in my POV (privately owned vehicle). I DO NOT like to give my fellow officers a bad name. On top of this, my plate is just like my sig "TG UR IT." Now, how hard will that be to remember when watching me do something stupid and the person calls police to complain on a "citizen" doing something bad??? My plate is too easy to remember. No need to put myself in jeapordy and have my supervisors question me. No need to put myself or anyone else in danger. No need to have to pay the city an ungodly amount for not using my blinker, speeding, etc. NO NEED TO PUT MY FAMILY IN JEAPORDY. I have to put food on the table w/ our only income. I'm not going to screw my family over by doing something stupid. Track, my friends....take it to the track.

BUT...if I do something wrong, I DO expect to pay the consequences. A fellow officer friend of mine was just cited a month ago for expired registration. It was expired by only a week. Not that big of a deal. Do I write stuff like that for citizens??? Uh, NO. Would I write it for a fellow officer? Uh, NO.

Officers usually give each other leeway. Sometimes they write themselves. We've lost a bunch of officers for DWI. When it comes down to it, we have to protect ourselves (our jobs). And, in many cases, that means doing what we DON'T want to do.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
selil

Drives: Chevy Avalanche
I used to be a deputy sheriff working in a corrections bureau. My last big assignment was as a court room services officer working for a judge. He tagged all of us in his court room with must calls for NCIC. I got stopped in California (totally deserved it 65 in a 45 in some little town called Garber). CHP Sgt walked back up to my bike and wanted to know who the heck I was. When I got home from vacation I spent about an hour explaining to the judge why I got stopped for speeding. The CHP just gave me back my license and told me to get lost. It was the most embarrassing ticket I never got.
selil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 12:09 AM   #14
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
I was drivin to the store and back to base one night, traffic was light, but everyone was going 5 under the limit and they were all "periphial driving" as I call it. (where they all drive with the car in the next lane offset so they can just barely see them out of the corner of their eye. ticks me off, cus im trying to get around them and i cant cus they are just close enough that I cant squeeze between them) but I was passing and cuttin through traffic the whole way there and back, and on the way back a black mustang pulls up hard on my ass, I thought it was a friend of mine so I started changing lanes a little more to see if he could keep up. we get to the stop light right before the base turnoff and as im coming up to it the car in the left lane mashes on their brakes and swerves in front of me to make the turn to the right. in the split second i had to think, I gunned it and went around the car (changing lanes in the intersection) and boom! the lights came on. im totally stunned as I pull off the road into the parking lot. the cop comes out and im just thinkin..."you aren't Chris!" lol but he asks why i got pulled and I said, I could really say cus I was sure I wasnt speeding. he tells me he followed me from the base to the store, lost me when I went into the store parking lot, waited, then found me as I left and followed me to that point where I changed lanes in the intersection. I told him I thought he was a friend of mine "playing" on the road by following me as closely as he was and that when the other car pulled in front of me I chose the safer of two options by driving around the other car instead of braking with him right on my rear and poss causing an accident. we discussed it for a bit, then he asked where I was driving to, I told him to the base and he begins on a story of how he was in the military when he was younger and "yada yada yada...well, i thank you for doing your part in protecting our country, here's your license and registration. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to find the car that cut us off."

now, when it comes to cops on base, I got pulled out of my car bc they thought I was drunk bc I didnt signal for a turn when I was the only car at the intersection (they were hiding in the parking lot watching for speeders)
and i was smoking a cigarrette, dressed up, had cologne on, put a listerine breath strip in my mouth as they pulled up and was nervous.

I explained it all to them.
1.) im a smoker, I smoke, its what we do
2.) im going out to see some friends/ladies, i like to look good
3.) im going out to see some ladies, i like to smell good
4.) im going out to see some ladies and i smoke, i like to have good breath
5.) it was my first time being pulled over on base, and i had to go talk to my First Sergeant monday morning and explain why i was pulled over on base.

then I explained why i didnt signal my turn, I was origionally going to go straight thru the intersection to the gym first cus i was getting a phone call and I dont drive/talk on the phone, but i just hung up the phone as I decided to turn. they still thought I was drunk and gave me a breathalizer. i passed, then got drunk after I went out.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote