Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #15
Synner

Drives: cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_SS View Post
M4 - 3585
SS - 3860??
This would be a big difference in favor of the M4.

My ABS doesnt truly shutter the brakes. I dont stomp but gently/yet firmly(fast) depress it to the floor. Holding the brakes like that coming from 100 fades quick to where car just wont stop at the end. Feels dangerous
Thats what I get for trusting the internet.

It took 10-15 minutes hot lapping coming down from over 120 every lap to fade the stock pads. Change your fluid, then get more front tire if you want to improve stopping distance. Thats the next weakest link.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:20 PM   #16
Synner

Quote:
M4 - 3585
SS - 3860??
This would be a big difference in favor of the M4.

My ABS doesnt truly shutter the brakes. I dont stomp but gently/yet firmly(fast) depress it to the floor. Holding the brakes like that coming from 100 fades quick to where car just wont stop at the end. Feels dangerous
Stop then slip stop then slip is how ABS would be described/feels on these cars. Pads dont just stop doing anything momentarily and then bite again.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #17
RED_SS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synner View Post
Thats what I get for trusting the internet.

It took 10-15 minutes hot lapping coming down from over 120 every lap to fade the stock pads. Change your fluid, then get more front tire if you want to improve stopping distance. Thats the next weakest link.
Well, I guess something may be wrong with my brakes or my driving. Im running 285 Michelin Pilot SS in the front so that should be better than the stockers.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
Synner

Then do the full fluid swap and report back.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:27 PM   #19
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
I never got into the ABS before I switched to 6 pistons either. (Maybe if I jumped on them they would) What I've noticed with the stock 4 pistons is that when you exceed the operating temp for the pads over and over they just refuse to bite. This wasn't so bad when they were newer-which may also explain why the M4 is doing better. I would be interested to see if the m4 stops like it does now after 7000 mi.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #20
RED_SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_SS/RS View Post
I never got into the ABS before I switched to 6 pistons either. (Maybe if I jumped on them they would) What I've noticed with the stock 4 pistons is that when you exceed the operating temp for the pads over and over they just refuse to bite. This wasn't so bad when they were newer-which may also explain why the M4 is doing better. I would be interested to see if the m4 stops like it does now after 7000 mi.
This is a good point and I will see how his go. I will change fluid to motul 600 and maybe switch to the Hawk HPS? Really interested in the Hurst 2 -piece rotors too.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #21
Synner

Quote:
6 pistons, track pads, and the 245's up front were entertaining to say the least. Changed wheels/tires before my first track day. Locking up the 4-pistons was certainly done a lot but that was on 245's also, that was with late braking and/or shenanigans.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:31 PM   #22
White_SS/RS

Quote:
Then do the full fluid swap and report back.
True the fluid could be on the verge of boiling.

OP: after this happens does pedal travel increase or feel spongy?
Old 09-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #23
White_SS/RS

Quote:
6 pistons, track pads, and the 245's up front were entertaining to say the least. Changed wheels/tires before my first track day. Locking up the 4-pistons was certainly done a lot but that was on 245's also, that was with late braking and/or shenanigans.
Ya I bet. I was amazed at the stopping power of 6 pistons with stock pads. Can't imagine them with track pads!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #24
Synner

Quote:
This is a good point and I will see how his go. I will change fluid to motul 600 and maybe switch to the Hawk HPS? Really interested in the Hurst 2 -piece rotors too.
That is not really an upgrade from the stock Ferodo pads, HP+ will have much better initial bite but will howl like a banshee and dust a lot. The rotors are rebadged Racing Brake units so make sure their price is less than that otherwise you're just paying another markup for no reason. Rotors don't really help stopping distance unless thermal management of the rotor is your issue which I would argue against very strongly.

I can say that illegal street racing once or twice isn't enough to heat soak the stock pads/rotors.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:36 PM   #25
Synner

And for the price of the Racing Brake rotors you'd be way better off doing the 6 piston upgrade.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #26
RED_SS

Quote:
True the fluid could be on the verge of boiling.

OP: after this happens does pedal travel increase or feel spongy?
After coming to a complete stop, it takes a minute to gain full stiffness to the pedal. I could say spongy would describe it. Im telling you guys, it felt as if the pads just slid over the rotors and just faded, pedal to the floor. I almost want someone with experience to come drive it and tell me whats going on.
Old 09-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #27
Synner

FLUID. lol
Old 09-02-2014, 06:34 PM   #28
White_SS/RS

Quote:
FLUID. lol
+1