Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-16-2010, 07:57 PM   #15
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by "prima"Donna View Post
I just got done watching Atlantis lift-off successfully on its final mission after 30 yrs orbiting in space...in case you don't know, the current space shuttles will all 'retire' this year...

My older son Mark has been fascinated with the Space Shuttle Program since he was a little boy...he had always wanted to be a pilot, until migraines 'grounded his dreams'... :(

Well, my son Mark flew down to Florida last night after work to get a chance to witness history being made and getting to see the launch 'LIVE' at the Kennedy Space Center!!!...

I haven't spoken to him yet, but he must be 'thrilled to death' at such an awesome and amazing opportunity!!!...

In case you are all wondering why the whole family isn't there with him....my younger son Kevin is graduating from college this Sunday morning, and you probably all know how many times the shuttle launches have been delayed over and over again, with weather or equipment complications...

We simply couldn't take the chance that it wouldn't go off as scheduled and we wouldn't make it back in time for Kevin's 'milestone'...

Thankfully, it DID take off on time, so Mark will fly home to NY tomorrow in time for the graduation ceremony Sunday morning...'whew'....

Ok, 'now back to your regularly scheduled Camaro5 viewing and posting'.....
(and for some of you I will just say this ---- "I WIN!" ...LOL...you know who you are...hehehehehe )

Congrats Donna..That is so cool that your son Mark got to see the shuttle launch in person and you get to enjoy the excitement through him.

I live 22 miles straightline from the pad. We have been fortunate enough to see many shuttle launches. I know quite a few people that work at the Cape. The Atlantis launch was picture perfect. We all went outside at the office and watched it over the Intracoastal. The sheer power is awe inspiring. It normally takes a couple of minutes for the sound to get here, but when it does, it rocks the buildings for a couple of minutes. There are only 2 launches left, so congrats again. Your son witnessed history...
Old 05-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
5thGenOwner

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by guiLT View Post
I wonder when the space program will fire up again...
Good question. I'm hoping it goes into the private sector for good!

If you recall it was the competition with the Soviet Union which gave us the drive to land on the moon... all the way through to the current Space Shuttle program, which is going ka-put! Right now, governments are just trying to stay afloat... let alone compete in a multi-billion dollar space race.

That said, the private sector could flurish here. There is money out there to be had... who wouldn't spend 1 million bucks (if you had it) to go to outerspace? Didn't a Backstreet Boy try to go, via the Russians?

As with everything, it could be done much more efficient than any government. Just ask Richard Branson...

http://www.virgingalactic.com/
Old 05-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #17
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenOwner View Post
As with everything, it could be done much more efficient than any government. Just ask Richard Branson...

http://www.virgingalactic.com/

Funny you mention Richard. Last fall, he wanted to drive the SL70, so of course he did. He is a really cool guy... I'd like to see someone like him do more space stuff, but it is a very large, very high risk investment. Maybe a privatized consortium to lower the barrier to entry.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
which space program? just because the shuttle is being retired doesnt mean our space program is going on hold. we still shoot rockets loaded with satellites and equipment into space every month. The Orion manned space program is originally set to kick off in 2015. much too late for my personal taste, but thats how the american people want it. as said before, it took the cold war to get our act into gear and go from the first manned space flight to landing on the moon in around a decade. we havent been back since. but until the masses feel that there are more important things in space rather than here on the ground, NASA will always be stuck behind the curve.

space privatization is looking more and more viable every day. its a lot cheaper for a slew of private companies to build and launch satellites for communication/etc than it is for NASA to. also, it would free NASA up to focusing on the long term space missions like going back to the moon and then mars and further out
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:59 AM   #19
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
which space program? just because the shuttle is being retired doesnt mean our space program is going on hold. we still shoot rockets loaded with satellites and equipment into space every month. The Orion manned space program is originally set to kick off in 2015. much too late for my personal taste, but thats how the american people want it. as said before, it took the cold war to get our act into gear and go from the first manned space flight to landing on the moon in around a decade. we havent been back since. but until the masses feel that there are more important things in space rather than here on the ground, NASA will always be stuck behind the curve.

space privatization is looking more and more viable every day. its a lot cheaper for a slew of private companies to build and launch satellites for communication/etc than it is for NASA to. also, it would free NASA up to focusing on the long term space missions like going back to the moon and then mars and further out
And there is some exciting new tech coming out to make interplanetary travel a bit more practical: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=plasma+rocket Just need to figure out a cheaper way to get IN to space now... the most interesting idea I've seen so far is this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Launch_loop
Old 05-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
AlSuwaidi

Drives: BLACK LS3 GCC-Spec
Nice!
AlSuwaidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #21
2001ragtop

Drives: V8 american car
Ha

Quote:
don't worry. there is still a space program even with no space shuttle flights.

When you refer to the space shuttle, this is like referring to the first model T automobile from 1908. Very few people realize that.
2001ragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #22
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Congrats Donna..That is so cool that your son Mark got to see the shuttle launch in person and you get to enjoy the excitement through him.

I live 22 miles straightline from the pad. We have been fortunate enough to see many shuttle launches. I know quite a few people that work at the Cape. The Atlantis launch was picture perfect. We all went outside at the office and watched it over the Intracoastal. The sheer power is awe inspiring. It normally takes a couple of minutes for the sound to get here, but when it does, it rocks the buildings for a couple of minutes. There are only 2 launches left, so congrats again. Your son witnessed history...
thanks Speedster....I wasn't really sure how many people actually cared about the space shuttle program anymore....

I was 'blown away' by seeing it LIVE on tv and even more 'blown away' by Mark's video and pictures...
Old 05-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #23
billw501

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Great video. I am planning on going in September if at all possible. Would love to have the view he had. Any information on where he was at would be appreciated.
billw501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 04:22 PM   #24
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
Quote:
Originally Posted by billw501 View Post
Great video. I am planning on going in September if at all possible. Would love to have the view he had. Any information on where he was at would be appreciated.
I'll try to get that info for you...PM me your email address so I can send you the link...he went as part of a tour group...I think there was a waiting list for the last launches...