Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #1
Todd45thAnniversaryV6

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro
Car show question...

Ok, so I have never entered a car in a show before and never really felt I had one worth showing. Now I have my beautiful 45th and wouldn't mind taking it to a show. Being that it is still stock, I know that I wouldn't really have anything special to show off other than a very clean car. So I wouldn't expect to win anything. I am just curious as to what to expect should I take it to even a casual, "restaurant parking lot" kind of show. Would I be scoffed at quite a bit for not having any mods? Would I be better off just parking to the side and just be there to check out the other cars? I just don't want to look like a fool. Any of you car show veterans have any advice till I get some $$ scraped together to start modding?
Old 06-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #2
davista04

Drives: 2012 Special Edition Camaro Synergy
my personal opinion, if your serious about car shows, do the mods build it up and enter it into a respectable car show. Now if your like me and just love showing off your car, i would think a "restaurant parking lot" show would be the way to do it. i know where i'm located we have several "parking lot" shows a year and i plan on getting to one or 2 this year
Old 06-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
Todd45thAnniversaryV6

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by davista04 View Post
my personal opinion, if your serious about car shows, do the mods build it up and enter it into a respectable car show. Now if your like me and just love showing off your car, i would think a "restaurant parking lot" show would be the way to do it. i know where i'm located we have several "parking lot" shows a year and i plan on getting to one or 2 this year
Yeah, I think the causal shows would be more my speed. Especially considering my limited mod budget (read nonexistent. HA). Congrats on your big win, by the way. The synergy Camaros are badass.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
davista04

Drives: 2012 Special Edition Camaro Synergy
thanks, the worst part has been the wait, i just want it here!!! lol
Old 06-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #5
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
Do it !! you will meet some new friends, the 45th although not a limited production model is still uncommon for most people and you will get a lot of compliments. I find entering shows a bit boring as you will be just sitting around for the most part, I usually would rather be driving mine. I really don't care myself about trophies and awards, but do enjoy meeting fellow car enthusists and enjoying their cars as well, give it a try

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:22 AM   #6
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
It doesn't matter if your car is stock or modified. Take it to any and every car show and enjoy yourself. The first year I owned mine, I went to a show that had 9 other 5th Gens. Mine was completely bone stock and I won 1st place in the GM section. You don't need to have it modded to take the car out to a show.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:34 AM   #7
Magilla gorilla

Drives: 2012 45th Edition 2LT RS,2005 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd45thAnniversaryV6 View Post
Ok, so I have never entered a car in a show before and never really felt I had one worth showing. Now I have my beautiful 45th and wouldn't mind taking it to a show. Being that it is still stock, I know that I wouldn't really have anything special to show off other than a very clean car. So I wouldn't expect to win anything. I am just curious as to what to expect should I take it to even a casual, "restaurant parking lot" kind of show. Would I be scoffed at quite a bit for not having any mods? Would I be better off just parking to the side and just be there to check out the other cars? I just don't want to look like a fool. Any of you car show veterans have any advice till I get some $$ scraped together to start modding?
I go to a restaurant parking lot car show on Friday nights. It's mainly for older cars & older muscle cars. But you would be surprised how many people come and ask questions about the camaro they draw a lot of attention.

I know I'm not goong to win any prizes but I go to show off the camaro that I'm proud to own and meet other people and enjoy their cars also.

Yes you do sit around some but you can also be walking around checking out the other rides also.

Just depends what you want to do.

Go to one and see if that is what you want to do. It doesn't have to be modded out for people to look at the camaro. It's a nice car just the way it is.

Go and enjoy yourself.
Magilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:13 AM   #8
Matster

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM/IOM #3625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd45thAnniversaryV6 View Post
It all depends on the show and the categories they have for competition and their criteria for judging them.

Just entered my very first show this past weekend. While my list of mods is extensive that was only used to determine the category my car fell into and in turn who my competition would be. After that it was all about how clean the car was and mods had no impact on the outcome. At this particular event you start out with 200 points and they deduct points for ever imperfection they find, i.e. finger prints, water spots, scratches, lint on the carpet. They go over the car inside, outside and yes even underneath. The car with the most points left after they go over the car with a fine tooth combo and make their deductions wins.

They had a category for 2010 - 2012 Camaro's that are daily drivers no mods, again the cleanest car takes home the prize. The judges will determine which category your car belongs in and you won't be competing against every car at the show.

If you're interested, do it you'll meet new people with the same interest as you and if your car is well kept no one will be scoffing at you.

416 Forged Stroker, E-Force Supercharger, Blower Cam, Rotofab CAI, Stainless Works 2" LT Headers and 3" Exhaust, LPE ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch, DSS 1400 HP Axles, Pfadt Performance Kit Stage 3.
Matster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 06:36 AM   #9
Vader

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
I'm no car show expert but I have been in a few. The best advice I have ever gotten was "Know your ride". It's amazing what sort of questions people will ask you that have nothing to do with performance like fuel tank capacity, turning circle, overall car length & trunk capacity. I have even had people ask me how many 2010 2SS/RS Camaro's were produced in 2009 vs. 2010..... You don't have to be a Camaro expert, but it helps to "know your ride".
Old 06-18-2012, 06:46 AM   #10
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matster View Post
It all depends on the show and the categories they have for competition and their criteria for judging them.

Just entered my very first show this past weekend. While my list of mods is extensive that was only used to determine the category my car fell into and in turn who my competition would be. After that it was all about how clean the car was and mods had no impact on the outcome. At this particular event you start out with 200 points and they deduct points for ever imperfection they find, i.e. finger prints, water spots, scratches, lint on the carpet. They go over the car inside, outside and yes even underneath. The car with the most points left after they go over the car with a fine tooth combo and make their deductions wins.

They had a category for 2010 - 2012 Camaro's that are daily drivers no mods, again the cleanest car takes home the prize. The judges will determine which category your car belongs in and you won't be competing against every car at the show.

If you're interested, do it you'll meet new people with the same interest as you and if your car is well kept no one will be scoffing at you.
Todd, see the post above......this is a REAL show.....with REAL judges, and tehy will have a STOCK catagory.....GO FOR IT!! I personally have won 1st Place for my class at the Houston Corette/Chevy Expo with my TOTALY STOCK 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS.

As far as the "Parking Lot Shows".....if they actually have an "entry fee", I would look to see where the money goes to.....many or even most of the shows of this type donate the proceeds to charity....so go to adn enter those shows, as most shows of this type are "peoples choice" type voting....which means for the most part, the baddest high HP car wins....but who cares....your not there for the prize....getting together with other car guys/ladies, and its for a good cause. ENTER tose types of shows too.

For teh shows that don't donate to some charity.....and are "people's choice" voted....I don't/won't enter....but I will go just to mingle and look at the nice cars.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #11
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
Go out and enjoy the car shows stock or modded it’s all about enjoying your car. I see plenty of cars in my area stock going to shows and winning a trophy.

Good luck
Old 06-18-2012, 08:07 AM   #12
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I show my car every weekend and IF theres another 5th gen there its usually stock. It doesnt matter tho, just go out and have fun. Dont worry about winning, just go for fun.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #13
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I've been to plenty of "casual" car shows, and really love them. It's great to be able to sit out behind your car and meet other enthusiasts, have a beer, and just "talk cars". On the other hand, I just entered my car into it's first formal car show. Where everything was judged, the cars were all roped off, and no one really sat around and B.S.'d with the other car owners. I didn't like it!!! It was kind of neat to have my car in that kind of environment, and I did win "Best in Class"!!! But I would rather go to the informal parking lot car shows any day of the week. In my opinion, my car is not a "show car", but rather just a cool car that enjoys hanging out with other cool cars.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
It doesn't matter if your car is stock or modified. Take it to any and every car show and enjoy yourself. The first year I owned mine, I went to a show that had 9 other 5th Gens. Mine was completely bone stock and I won 1st place in the GM section. You don't need to have it modded to take the car out to a show.
Good Lord really, get out there! Go to show & shines, go to trophy shows, just go! You meet the best people and learn all kinds of stuff. You end up shooting the breeze the whole time your there. Mine started as stock and won 1st place the first show, course I was like the first one in the city to have one, then work your way up if you want.