Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
robotfighter

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro 2LS
Worst mod thread (or "Mods I wish I had never made")

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd start a new thread based on negative experiences with mods. This would be a valuable resource for those considering certain mods.

So here's my submission:

Stainless steel dash kit from a terrible company called CarID (they are non-responsive and unreasonable when it comes to returns and/or exchanges, in my experience). Looking back, going with a stainless steel look was a pretty tacky idea, but the kit would not stick and didn't fit well, leaving gaps all over the place. Eventually I took the kit off (cost about $180 at the time) and just threw it away, deciding to cover the trim with carbon fiber. I believe this was the item I purchased: http://www.carid.com/2011-chevy-cama...em-306783.html

So, does anyone have any particular mod(s) they regret doing?
robotfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Runawayhacker

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Closest I have come to a "Regrettable Mod" would be the ABL lighting using EL Wire. I had a 2010 1SS and wanted to finish the look. It required removing the door panels, cutting away at the door panel, cutting and splicing wires... a lot of scary stuff. The end result looked AMAZING, but there was a catch. I had to use 3 transformers that would normally run on AA batteries - one in each door, and one in the dash. Why is this a big deal? Those little boxes produced the highest pitched annoying sound EVER! No matter how loud the radio was, it would pierce through any sound. And it wasn't your every day high pitched, oh no. This one gives you headaches and makes your nauseous. I had hooked it up to come on whenever the light for the window switch would come on, so there wasn't a good way of turning it off.

Unfortunately, I lost her in a bad wreck. I'm riding high now with my new baby, but don't have any plans of using EL wire again...for cars at least I'll finish the ABL the right way one day.

You can see my pics in post #10
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231014
Runawayhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
damn we wind up in every thread together... almost at the same time. who is the troll
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Del's12SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
So far only mod is CAI... NO REGRETS.
Had an 03 Vette.... worst mod was getting the sticky letters for for the Dash and flags for the Steering wheel..... a bitch to get straight and then one came off......

No more stickers..... say it with me now, No more stickers.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:50 PM   #5
matthew9440

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Probably when I decided to paint my fuse box cover and it turned out looking like garbage. I bought rattle can primer, VR paint, clearcoat, tape, and sandpaper. It was about 50 bucks and 3 days of work, on the last coat of paint a small insect landed on it and instead of waiting I tried to pinch him out and then ruined it. The reason it was such a bad idea was that the cover only cost 6 bucks from the dealer and they painted it for me for $30. Needless to say I couldve saved my time and money not being so freaking cheap and assuming it would cost more to get it done professionally.

matthew9440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
Bowtiepower00

Drives: Previous Camaros: 69, 89, 11, 13
I did the Hurst short throw on my '11 V6. I thought it would help with the occasional grind from 1-2, but it made it much worse. The factory clutch behind the LLT just didn't have enough holding power to fully disengage the clutch while shifting quickly over 5K RPM. I'm not talking about powershifting either, just a quick shift using the clutch. The rest of the gears weren't as bad, but I won't make the same mistake again. No short throw unless I add an aftermarket clutch.
Bowtiepower00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
LnLSS
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1
Stillen Side Skirts. Love their splitter put side skirts, even though they look good, fit and install was a pita. They still don't fit perfectly. Club member also has them, were professionally installed and almost the same look.
LnLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:08 PM   #8
GbrilliantQ
¡ʇuɐıןןıɹq

Drives: 2011 Camaro IOM 2SS/RS
HPS

From my Note
GbrilliantQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
I thought I was going to have to break out the popcorn for a second.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 PM   #10
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
I tried the dash kit from CarID too. I installed everything and wasn't really happy with the look. Then after a couple of days 4 pieces fell off, a couple of days later 3 more pieces fell off. I contacted CarID and you are right, they were a-holes to deal with. The guy accused me of not putting the pieces on correctly, WTF you just stick them on, how could I not put them on right? I sent him pics of the pieces that fell off but he wouldn't do anything until I threatened to complain to eBay. Then he would only give me 50% to return them, what a f'in joke.

The only other mod I regret was the static cling tail light black outs. I tried probably 6 or more times to get these stuipid things to stay attached. I tried heating them after I put them on in an attempt to get them to stick. I tore them off and threw them in the garbage when I came out of a restaurant and one of them was laying on the rear bumper. DON'T BUY THEM, WASTE OF MONEY!!

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #11
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Cool thread!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
GibbyGil

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I haven't had a mod I regret but I do regret ordering from carID. They screwed up my order and then their return policy was so ridiculous that I ended up just giving up and getting screwed over
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 PM   #13
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Anyone else disappointed with their wave mod?

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #14
Sugarfree135

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Probably going to get flamed for this but solo high flow cats :-/ I had $500 burning a hole in my pocket and after reading all the reviews of them on this site I decided to get them. No real difference in the butt dyno, and didn't make the exhaust much louder over stock like I expected. Definitely sounds better than stock but still didn't sound as good as a 2010 2ss I test drove with muffler delete lol it was just one of those mods that didn't live up to the hype I guess :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Sugarfree135 is offline   Reply With Quote