Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #1
joes407

Drives: 2014 ZL1m6 red hot #569
anyone using ARDEX on their ZL-1?

my Z was back in the body shop this week again with still more hood paint issues. when I picked the car up there were buff swirls all the way down the side of my car that I hadn't noticed before. body shop claims they didn't touch it there and that the chemicals (ardex cleaners)they use had stripped off the old wax or glaze to the point where the swirls were no longer covered and were now very visible. he then pulled 2 cans of ardex wax out and waxed over the swirls covering most back up. seems to be a decent product just wanted some experienced opinions on it. thanks
joes407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
joes407

nobody?
Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Drives: 2012 IOM Camaro ZL1 #569
Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
No fan of "covering" swirls in the first place. A good buffer and know how and you can remove them. Then use a synthetic polymer like NXT or Zaino for a long lasting protection.

Just my opinion. Taking care of your paint is a lot of time and care. Right down to how you wash it.
Happy_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
joes407

im not chancing buffing my black car when the shops themselves cant even seem to do it right. of course I could look at it the other way that if I do it then at least someone else didn't screw it up for me. for now im just gonna try and cover them in wax.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by joes407 View Post
im not chancing buffing my black car when the shops themselves cant even seem to do it right. of course I could look at it the other way that if I do it then at least someone else didn't screw it up for me. for now im just gonna try and cover them in wax.
I felt the same way for a long time.
Last year at Camarofest, I bought the Flex buffer from Adam's polishes, but never got around to using it on my 2013 black ZL1 Vert because I was afraid.

Years ago, with orbital buffers of the day, you had to be REAL careful not to burn right through the paint especially on edges.

With today's random orbital buffers, Adams assured me that you would REALLY have to bear down on the Flex buffer to do any damage at all.

Finally at one of the local demonstrations by Adams at the Lingenfelter Collection, they handed me the Flex, and told me to give it a try on Ken Lingenfelters own R8 (black of course). It was very easy to use, and now I have the confidence that I won't burn through my paint on my ZL1.

I still haven't tried it on the ZL1 yet, but I did try it on my 08 Malibu with the black granite paint. No problems at all, and it was very easy to use.

On my ZL1, I did use the whole range of Adam's polishes going from their new Paint Correcting polish , there Revive polish, etc, etc up to and including the Brilliant Glaze and the Americana Wax all done by hand and it came out phenomenal.

Next time I'm using the Flex. I'm not afraid anymore.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #6
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Send a message via AIM to Happy_Dan Send a message via Yahoo to Happy_Dan Send a message via Skype™ to Happy_Dan
Using a Dual Action like the Adam's is very safe. But it won't get out really bad swirls or paint issues. But for a weekend amateur they are perfect. You get the right pads and the different polishes and you can really do a great job.

If you really want a great job, you need to color sand then use a regular polisher.
Get a pro top do that and then you can maintain it with your DA. Black is awesome but the hardest to keep up with.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #7
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Oh, BTW, I have had great luck with Adam's stuff and their videos are great for us amateurs. I use mostly Zaino and Adam's. I use more Adam's more for prep and Zaino for final finish and leather etc. I have a high speed polisher but I have quite a bit of experience with it. I use the DA most of the time.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy_Dan View Post
Using a Dual Action like the Adam's is very safe. But it won't get out really bad swirls or paint issues. But for a weekend amateur they are perfect. You get the right pads and the different polishes and you can really do a great job.

If you really want a great job, you need to color sand then use a regular polisher.
Get a pro top do that and then you can maintain it with your DA. Black is awesome but the hardest to keep up with.
I diagree, with the right technique perfection can be achieved with a flex or other Dual Action polishers. Now if the finish is severly scratched to the point that you are through the clear and into the base coat, then its body shop time.

OP come to the detailing section of the forum for some assistance. With a little time and a small investment in products you can acheive a finish that you will be happy with. The satisfaction of doing it yourself is more than worth the effort.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Happy_Dan
Happy_Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlietuna View Post
I diagree, with the right technique perfection can be achieved with a flex or other Dual Action polishers. Now if the finish is severly scratched to the point that you are through the clear and into the base coat, then its body shop time.

OP come to the detailing section of the forum for some assistance. With a little time and a small investment in products you can acheive a finish that you will be happy with. The satisfaction of doing it yourself is more than worth the effort.
You can get very good but I don't think perfect. You have to heat and slightly melt the clear to fill bigger swirls. But I completely agree and would highly encourage you to do your own with a DA. Charlietuna is right, it's much more rewarding to know you created that mirror finish yourself. (a trophy or two is cool too).