Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #1
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Memorial Day thoughts.......

(..mods - if you would please leave this on this section until Tues morn...thanks!)

Good afternoon, Camaro Comrades, Firebird Friends, and Corvette Cousins!

-- for some of us - it's hard to believe that another year has gone by and we're celebrating another Memorial Day weekend.....

Some of us will spend the weekend in small and large towns alike - celebrating with friends and family--

Some will spend it enjoying Auto Racing -- or perhaps a ball game.

Others will travel to the mountains for a bit of quiet time.

Still others will travel to beaches to enjoy the sun and sand.

And some may choose to spend it quietly at home.

Me? I'm delighted to be spending it with some of you in Atlanta at the 16th Annual F-Body Gathering - which is something I look forward to each year. In many respects, it's like a family reunion!

My point?

We have choices in where we want to go and in what we want and choose to do.

We can do just about anything and say anything (within Legal reason) and not have to worry about disappearing into the night by a regime that wants to control us.

It's called "Freedom" - -and that freedom did not come easily -- it did not come cheaply -- and it did not come without so very many paying such a heavy, horrible, and dear price over so many, many years......

And yet in many respects, we seem to take this freedom for granted.

We celebrate "Memorial Day" in these United States as a way of honoring the "Memory" of those who have fought for our freedom. We also celebrate those heroes who have served or who are still serving our country - again, so that we may preserve this precious freedom.

So - while I'm hoping that we (that's me and you) will thank our Veterans and our Members of the Armed Forces -- I'm also hoping you take someone else into consideration..............

We've been in a conflict for over a decade. Regardless of what your political view may be - and regardless of whether or not you agree with this conflict, the one thing I think we can all agree on is this:

We have families that have been making incredible sacrifice. Yes, families of our war Heroes have always made sacrifices - -but I think we tend to forget that we have families in this country who have seen their loved ones deployed and re-deployed a half-dozen times or more. We have young boys and girls that only see their fathers or mothers for a very short period of time before their beloved parent is re-deployed once again to serve our country. How many children have gone to bed at night - wondering where their Mommy or Daddy -- who are serving in the Armed Forces -- might be in this world this particular night - and are they OK? How many spouses pray daily that their soulmate will return home safely? How many parents agonize with worry that their son or daughter will return safely?

And so I submit to you that the families of those serving are, in many ways, heroes as well. Those of you (and it's most of you) know the constant fear of the unknown when it comes to your loved one serving. Is the next telephone call - or the next ring of the door-bell going to be ...,,,,,,unthinkable?

So - while I ask that we (that's me and you) keep those who are no longer with us in our hearts and minds - and while we thank our veterans for their service to their country - and while we continue to say a prayer for those serving our country - let's not forget the families and loved ones of those serving right now! Let's make sure we thank THEM for the sacrifices they're making daily because a son or a daughter; a father or a mother; a husband or a wife; a brother or a sister -- has chosen freely to serve our country - and to fight for freedom - not only for us as a country - but for those who are being oppressed.

Yes - they, too, are paying a price.

On behalf of the Settlemire/Henry Family - thank you -- veterans, active military - and military families - for your sacrifices and service to our country. We can never thank you enough.

...... We hope that you and yours will have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend -- and, as always - Don't forget to Buckle Up!

And from me, personally: Thanks for once again listening to my ramblings - -

Freedom is not Free.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Frank in MD
Raining Blood

Drives: 2014 SS Performance Sedan
Well said, Scott. Ya know, the trouble is about these threads that you start is that there isn't a whole lot left to say after you. I can't expand upon what you've already posted, and saying thank you to veterans and their families just doesn't seem to cover it. How do you say the same thing to the families of our service men and women that you would say to a waiter or waitress that brings your food and have it mean anything?

All I have are words, and I'm using the same ones everyone else are using, but is saying thank you enough? I feel guilty that I haven't carried that burden. I enlisted in the Marines after high school, but got an entry level separation on a medical issue and I never went back.

I won't get into the politics of our current situation except to say that I feel like I wish I was there, but I'm ever so thankful that I'm not.

Thank you, sincerely for what you do. Come home safe.

2014 SS Performance Sedan #2974 - Red Hot 2 - S/R. & Spare. Built 01/09/14 #238 of 291 as configured
Frank in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
ragtop11

Drives: 2012 SS/RS
As long as our youth remember as they are the next generation that needs to carry on.
We shall never forget that " FREEDOM IS EXPENSIVE " just look in our National
Cemetaries, there's where the Hero's lie.
GOD BLESS THE USA
Old 05-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #4
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
Well said, Scott. Ya know, the trouble is about these threads that you start is that there isn't a whole lot left to say after you. I can't expand upon what you've already posted, and saying thank you to veterans and their families just doesn't seem to cover it. How do you say the same thing to the families of our service men and women that you would say to a waiter or waitress that brings your food and have it mean anything?

All I have are words, and I'm using the same ones everyone else are using, but is saying thank you enough? I feel guilty that I haven't carried that burden. I enlisted in the Marines after high school, but got an entry level separation on a medical issue and I never went back.

I won't get into the politics of our current situation except to say that I feel like I wish I was there, but I'm ever so thankful that I'm not.

Thank you, sincerely for what you do. Come home safe.

Thanks for summing it up so well, Scott.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #5
1COR.1:18
Whosoever Will

Drives: 2010 1LT Victory Red
It Is The Soldier

by Father Dennis Edward O'Brien
United States Marine Corps

"It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the Soldier, not the poet,
Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer,
Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the Soldier, not the lawyer,
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the Soldier, who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
1COR.1:18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #6
tmandoug1
Deep Sea

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1
I am a retired 20 year veteran and I would like to thank you f-bod for the wonderful words, but not for me for those that are still standing watch over us all and for those that have made the biggest sacrifice.

Thank you and your families.

BMC(Ret.)DV/SG Tallman
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #7
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Great write up Scott....it was a pleasure to speak with you last night (at 3 am ) I hope morning didn't come TOO early.

Thanks for everything you do for the community, I couldn't think of a better representative...you are a class act.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #8
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
All for my Dad and we won best in class also, so this weekend is extra special!

Name:  IMG_0003.JPG
Views: 504
Size:  366.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0050.JPG
Views: 540
Size:  337.1 KB

Name:  IMG_0006.JPG
Views: 515
Size:  355.3 KB
Old 05-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #9
Macfolk
J.T.

Drives: Camaro 2SS w/RS package, Imp. Blue
Beautifully put and not said nearly enough.

Thank you, sir.

Jason

Love this car!
Macfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
..eloquently written...

Becky
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
ss409cid

Drives: 2011 SS RS Convertible
I to think that we take our freedom for granted. My generation was called, by Uncle Sam to serve, and most of us heeded the call and served proudly. Today only a very few choose to serve, and thus they bear the brunt of all conflicts for as long as they last. We need to support and honor these young heros, most of them signed up expecting to go to war. To me this generation of Soldiers, Sailors, Flyers, and Marines has to be one of the the most outstanding group of young heros in generations.......
Old 05-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Godon Hutchinson

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS Imperial Blue Metallic
Here's a thought
Attached Images

Godon Hutchinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
pincoin
Camaro owner since 1982

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS-RS Conv IBM L99
Well written!
pincoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
It was great to see you at G16 Scott!!!!

I regret I didn't get to talk to you, but it was cool to see you there nonetheless!!!!