Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Marketplace > Vendor and Seller review / feedback / experiences

Old 10-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
QuikZ06

Drives: 2003 Corvette Z06
Beware of Las Vegas performance shop!!

So I had a motor built by Leading Edge Performance here in Las Vegas I have since put about 6K-7K miles on it. The motor has smoked from day one and it ate coolant as well. It also went through a quart of oil for every oil change. I wanted a leak down done, but they just never got to it. It was supposed to be a built 383 for a 400 shot direct port, I only planned to hit it with a 250 at the most, but I wanted it over built. Well, about a month ago I was racing a friend ON THE MOTOR, I hit 4th gear, let out, and hear what sounded like rocks go out of the exhaust. The car still ran and I drove it home. I drove it to the shop the next day because I was planning on having a tune done for the 200 shot. Well, they checked it out and said it melted a piston so I had it towed home. They said they had no room for my car and it would be 2-3 weeks before they could get to it. I decided I would pull it apart and turns out that #5 and #7 were broken.
I found some things wrong with the car as I tore it down. Evap was not hooked up and no egr gaskets on the headers. Anyway, so I finally had the short block pulled out and took it to a very good motor builder here in town. They tore it down. He said, "So far the crank, rods and most everything looks good, but the moly rings and pistons seem to have got alot of heat." I asked moly??? Well, should have had a total seal steel top ring in it and 2nd napier. As of right now looks like a Plasma moly. The real kicker is my custom nitrous pistons. They are off the shelf Diamond #11504, I called Diamond today and they are suggested for small nitrous applications. I wanted a built motor for a 400 shot and got a cheaper piston than thought. Here they are.
I also was told another 3-4K to fix it. I am pissed to say the least. I have been a great customer/friend to this place and this is what I get.
So, in the end, I got a motor that smoked, ate coolant, and now blew up. Was told to let it "break in." After that was told it needed 3 filters for crank case pressure . Still did not fix the problem and the motor is now in pieces. I took it back to the shop many times but they just kept pushing it off for a leak down, compression test. Now we have a major problem and nothing is being done.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:34 AM   #2
GhostOutlaw

Drives: Black 2011 2LT/RS
Sounds like you should take that one up with the shop that built it as it sounds like they charged u for a bigger build then they gave u and cut corners to increase their bottom line.
GhostOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Your car smokes, eats coolant and loses a qt between oil changes and you're racing it...
Old 10-25-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
I would say at this point you are looking at a law suit. Clearly you don't want them touching it again and I don't think they are gonna pay up. Look forward to a long process of a few years and big lawyer fees. In the end it's probably better to just suck it up and move on. That sucks. Sorry man.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
zepcom
Zeta Brother to Camaro

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
I've seen this same thread by the same OP on three different boards this morning.

Good luck with your fight against this shop.

Although, unsure as to why the burning oil/coolant factor didn't get addressed immediately upon you noticing it?

--zepcom
2009 Pontiac G8 GT
SOLO Performance HF-Cats &
SOLO Mach Unbalanced Catback with drone-free J-pipes
zepcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Call Jeff @ TPE (Total Performance Engineering) and see what he can do for you. He's a great guy to work with.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Total_Perf_Eng

Drives: Corvette
Send a message via AIM to Total_Perf_Eng
If we can be of any help, please let us know. A 400 shot it ALOT of spray. You should run nothing but a hardened top ring, and Napier 2d. Plasma moly wont cut it. You need to focus on heat control and pressure. Get your new pistons heat coated on top. That helps a ton.

3-4K is quite high, if you still have a useable crank, rods, and block. We would love to quote you a motor, and let you be involved in the build process. We'll even let you photograph, and inspect the build, along with all clearences prior to assembly. We have ZERO to hide. Most importantly, in 5 years, we have never had 1 failed motor, or motor return. We build on average of 3-5 per month.

But if you already have your builder, no problem, enjoy the new found power. Let me know if you need any help on installation.

Hurry up though. The good air is coming..
Total_Perf_Eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
TPEHater

Drives: 2005 Holden Monaro
Shops who rip people off piss me off!

2005 Pontiac GTO | PBM/Black | 364ci LS2 | TVS1900 | T56 | 661 RWHP / 636 RWTQ
2003 Cobra | Redfire/Parchment | 376ci LS3 | PT4780 | TH400 | Build in Progress

TPEHater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 PM   #9
QuikZ06

Here are the stats from the shop that the motor is at now.
#1 piston top ring is lifting, 2nd ring stuck on piston
Moly is coming off 4 other top rings
Top ring is down .180
.155 bewtween 1st and 2nd ring

Old 10-28-2010, 02:56 AM   #10
CamaroFTW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS-Rally Yellow
Send a message via MSN to CamaroFTW
These kinds of wannabee performance shops just suck!

Hope you can get a resolution.
CamaroFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 01:55 AM   #11
Blueovalman

Drives: 2012 V6 Camaro 2010 Camaro SS
This performance shop in Las Vegas called Leading Edge Performance
completely rail-roaded Brandon.They built Brandon a engine and built it
incorrectly.The tune that Leading Edge Performance did on his car was
set dangerously lean and I belive due to the detonation from the lean
condition and his engine built incorrectly it ended up ruining Brandon's
engine.
I remember Brandon from the Desert Muscle meetings at Sonic
and his engine was smoking and his engine also ate coolant.
Avoid Leading Edge Performance like the plauge and give your business
to another performance shop.I hope you get this problem resolved Brandon
the best of luck to you buddy.
Blueovalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:09 PM   #12
Revolution
Owner of RRW

Drives: 12 ZL1 A6 white and 64 nova ss
I hate to see this kind of stuff happen. I know how much this guy loved this shop and then to have this happen. It goes to show when it comes to money friends and money should not cross paths.

However the simple fact you got billed for a custom nitrous setup and you get off the shelf ring packs and off the shelf pistons.. and she smokes right out the door makes me wonder what they were thinking.

As for banging on the tune only one guy has posted up here saying something about it. Honestly. If the tune was bad and the car was detonating... this would have happened a very long time ago.. the engine would not have lived this long. So don't beat up the tuner. The guy doesn't even work there anymore clearly he parted ways for his own reasons.

I have seen this car around town and he does drive the heck out of it. It's a real shame this is what it comes down to.

It's 100% why I don't rush anything I build.

I wish you luck Brandon I hope the car comes back together soon.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #13
QuikZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
I hate to see this kind of stuff happen. I know how much this guy loved this shop and then to have this happen. It goes to show when it comes to money friends and money should not cross paths.

However the simple fact you got billed for a custom nitrous setup and you get off the shelf ring packs and off the shelf pistons.. and she smokes right out the door makes me wonder what they were thinking.

As for banging on the tune only one guy has posted up here saying something about it. Honestly. If the tune was bad and the car was detonating... this would have happened a very long time ago.. the engine would not have lived this long. So don't beat up the tuner. The guy doesn't even work there anymore clearly he parted ways for his own reasons.

I have seen this car around town and he does drive the heck out of it. It's a real shame this is what it comes down to.

It's 100% why I don't rush anything I build.

I wish you luck Brandon I hope the car comes back together soon.
Thanks.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #14
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I went to LEP shortly after i bought my car. I talked to the owner about F/I on my car. I also talked to him about buying some bolt-ons. He just didn't seem interested in my business. Not only that, but he also talked down about another business in town that i told him about that was interested in building me a custom turbo. Since then i've heard these kinds of stories, and i'm glad i didn't pursue his business.