Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 01-27-2009, 02:04 AM   #29
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
all this talk about turbo lag...
when you've got 6 or 8 cylinders, you really lose most of the lag because you're creating more exhaust gas than a 4-banger, so it spools up at lower RPMs.
All the posts I've read in this thread that even mention turbo lag are saying "Don't worry about it, its negligible."

Not sure what you're replying to there, Zebra.
- Xanthos

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:10 AM   #30
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
All the posts I've read in this thread that even mention turbo lag are saying "Don't worry about it, its negligible."

Not sure what you're replying to there, zebra.
- Xanthos
just reiterating the truth
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 02:15 AM   #31
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra View Post
just reiterating the truth
Oh, ok.

Personally, I plan on keeping my V6 N/A. I think there's plenty of power to be gained there.
- Xanthos

Old 01-27-2009, 01:36 PM   #32
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
Quote:
Oh, ok.

Personally, I plan on keeping my V6 N/A. I think there's plenty of power to be gained there.
- Xanthos
not to mention a warrenty to uphold. Even though I could probably fix whatever goes wrong, its nice to be able to sit back for a week while I have some one else replace my starter when it goes

Back on topic, what everyone else said is trueAlso a centrifugal supercharger takes up less space then a roots type, the kind that is bolted to the top of the intake manifold. That seems to be the main reason for using that kind, I'm sure there are other benefits, of which I am not sure.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #33
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeTwentyFour View Post
Back on topic, what everyone else said is trueAlso a centrifugal supercharger takes up less space then a roots type, the kind that is bolted to the top of the intake manifold. That seems to be the main reason for using that kind, I'm sure there are other benefits, of which I am not sure.
Yep. Also a centrifigal super will USUALLY produce most of it boost at mid to high rpm while a positive displacement S/C tends to have it's boost right off idle but stops climbing at a lower rpm also. Obviously with different gears and pulleys they can both be tweaked to some degree.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #34
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:

Not sure what you're replying to there, Zebra.
- Xanthos
well, one other thing to consider is that lag can be negligible.... with a smaller turbo. and getting big power from a small turbo sucks, but lag with a larger one sucks too.... however, I have seen some people run a small (usually 25-50hp) shot of nitrous with a big turbo to reduce the lag time, more money to work with, but still cool idea.

i'll more than likely be going with a magnuson s/c if/when I decide to go FI. i gotta finish fabbing up the roots for my LT1 tho before I can move onto another project. my SS will be a DD/weekend cruiser till the 94 is done. then the SS will start going faster and the 94Z will be the cruiser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
Yep. Also a centrifigal super will USUALLY produce most of it boost at mid to high rpm while a positive displacement S/C tends to have it's boost right off idle but stops climbing at a lower rpm also. Obviously with different gears and pulleys they can both be tweaked to some degree.
which kinda sucks to only be making full boost at higher rpm. and there is lag with centrifugal s/c's as well.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:29 PM   #35
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

I'd love a roots type supercharger running a 5-6 psi boost on some dished pistons - but I doubt anybody will ever make one for the V6.
- Xanthos

Old 01-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #36
Robert91RS

Quote:
I'd love a roots type supercharger running a 5-6 psi boost on some dished pistons - but I doubt anybody will ever make one for the V6.
- Xanthos
I'm not so sure Xanthos. I see this motor taking the place of nearly all the 3.1,3.4,3.5, and 3.8 motors. That many applications could very well form a after market S/C or two. Not to mention GM may decide a blown version could replace the V8 option in cars like the Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS while delivering better fuel econemy for the CAFE regulations.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #37
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
I'm not so sure Xanthos. I see this motor taking the place of nearly all the 3.1,3.4,3.5, and 3.8 motors. That many applications could very well form a after market S/C or two. Not to mention GM may decide a blown version could replace the V8 option in cars like the Impala SS and Monte Carlo SS while delivering better fuel econemy for the CAFE regulations.
Oh, I didn't say there would be no aftermarket superchargers. I said I highly doubt anybody will make a ROOTS style blower for it.
- Xanthos

Old 01-28-2009, 01:00 PM   #38
Robert91RS

Only time will tell. Just remember, the V6 is the bread and butter of Camaro sales and companys like magnuson and whipple want to sell as many units as they can.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #39
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

I hope so.
- Xanthos

Old 01-28-2009, 01:11 PM   #40
Robert91RS

Me too buddy. If I can ever find the funds to get my Camaro I will be getting the 2SS, but if the Camaro is going to last that long I need the V6 to be a hit in every way. Plus I know you want one, so if Magnuson decides to ask my opinion I will put in a good word for you[I].(by the way thats not gonna happen)[/I]
Old 01-28-2009, 01:13 PM   #41
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Quote:
Me too buddy. If I can ever find the funds to get my Camaro I will be getting the 2SS, but if the Camaro is going to last that long I need the V6 to be a hit in every way. Plus I know you want one, so if Magnuson decides to ask my opinion I will put in a good word for you[I].(by the way thats not gonna happen)[/I]
Well, the blower would be the absolute last thing on my list, after the powertrain warranty is gone. So, I've got about four years or so.
- Xanthos

Old 01-29-2009, 06:55 AM   #42
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Oh, I didn't say there would be no aftermarket superchargers. I said I highly doubt anybody will make a ROOTS style blower for it.
- Xanthos
go with a twin screw. I would not be suprised if they made a roots/ts style charger for the v-6. hell they did it with the 3.8 didnt they? and that one came straight from GM.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote