Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #253
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTAHVIT View Post
seriously bro...

Don't worry I'll search the boards for you...
Hey.....

I edited my last post........ jerk......

And the point is made. Smaller sidewall.

Stitch is running 25% sidewall.

Stock height on 305s would be 35%
Old 10-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #254
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
I believe the overall tire/wheel combo had a diameter of about 26.5", but I'd have to check my notes to make sure, and they're kinda far away...

I choose that tire size because it was the closest in overall diameter to the diameter of the Pedders car's tire/wheel combo, that way, I'd know there wouldn't be any clearance issues.

...and it's probably not wise to refer to one of most knowledgeable moderators on here as "jerk". Let's try to keep Pete's threads clean and informative.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #255
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
I believe the overall tire/wheel combo had a diameter of about 26.5", but I'd have to check my notes to make sure, and they're kinda far away...

I choose that tire size because it was the closest in overall diameter to the diameter of the Pedders car's tire/wheel combo, that way, I'd know there wouldn't be any clearance issues.

...and it's probably not wise to refer to one of most knowledgeable moderators on here as "jerk". Let's try to keep Pete's threads clean and informative.
Thanks for the back up Stitch... But PQ and I have history.

GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #256
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:

Hee hee hee...
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #257
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
Hee hee hee...
LMAO!

295/35 20X10 right?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:06 PM   #258
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch View Post

As far as informative goes, I may have rehashed some things but it did bump the thread and I did learn something and we did learn why you chose the tire sizes you have.

I wondered why you chose such thin sidewalls. Now I know.

Let's extend classtime a little here.......

Pete? I have about the same sidewall as stitch does. Problem for me is (other than needing to lose the donk wheels all together) I have NO traction due to thin sidewalls.

Why are thin sidewalls ok on smaller rims? Why is there not as much traction loss?

Quote:

And future in wheel purchase......
Old 10-13-2011, 03:04 PM   #259
JusticePete

Quote:
LMAO!

295/35 20X10 right?
Yes sir!
Old 10-13-2011, 04:16 PM   #260
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Let's extend classtime a little here.......

Pete? I have about the same sidewall as stitch does. Problem for me is (other than needing to lose the donk wheels all together) I have NO traction due to thin sidewalls.

Why are thin sidewalls ok on smaller rims? Why is there not as much traction loss?
We choose the tire and wheel size in large part based on the availability of the RE-11 Bridgestones. IMO, they are hands down the best combination of a street / track tire. Weight plays a role as well. The smaller OD worked for us as well effectively creating a rear gear change.

On the new 'Pedders' Camaro we are running 20x10.5 with Michelin 305/35ZR20/XL Pilot Sport PS2s. I poked around looking for an illustration of tire sidewall flex and found this Tire Sidewall Flex Animation Too much tire side wall flex causes instability. Too little side wall flex causes a loss of traction. If the tire can't roll the sidewalls, then the contact patch slips.

What is the perfect tire size? The new ZR1 has Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires P285/30ZR19 in front and P335/25ZR20 in the rear. The rear rim is a 20x12 the front is 19x10. In these low aspect ratios the tire itself is mission critical. For the ZR1 Chevrolet worked with Michelin to create a Pilot Sport with characteristics for optimum performance. In a practical sense, a taller side wall will protect the rims from impact damage i.e. the unexpected major pot hole. On the drag strip tall side walls that wrinkle are desirable.

The Bridgestone Potenza S001 - 305/25R20 that Stich selected carry a dry performance rating of 8 from the MFG. The RE-11s have a MFG dry performance rating of 10. The S001 wet performance rating is a 9 compared the RE-11 with a 7. The Bridgestone S001 is a good choice, unless you are looking to max out a lap time and prove a point. Nitto NT 05s are very good, but are not available in a 305. Selecting the tire size for your Camaro is a balancing act between tire weight, revs per mile, stiction, brakes and RWHP. If you would like to stay between the lines on a rainy day wet performance could be important too Especially with a 305 up front.

If I have my choice, the Bridgestone RE-11 305/19/30s are on my Camaro, unless some dumb-axx rule prohibits their use because they are too good. Then we go to Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.

Did I just
Old 10-13-2011, 04:27 PM   #261
GTAHVIT
Blessed

wait wut??? dumb ass rule????
Old 10-13-2011, 05:03 PM   #262
PQ
Booooosted.

So my 22s are not your first choice then. Got it.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #263
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
damn those rules,
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #264
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Info@PeddersUSA.com View Post
damn those rules,
Those would be the OPTIMA Challenge

Lingenfelter L/28 Camaro

We wanted this to be a full amenity daily driver with a bad attitude on a road course. We think we have it covered from the normally aspirated N/A LS7 to the Pedders Supercars and everything in between.

Lingenfelter L/28 Camaro

• LPE LS7 Engine, 681HP @ 6700 RPM / 588 LB/FT @5600
• LPE Dry Sump Oiling System
• Tremec 6060 6 Speed Manual Transmission
• LPE Dual Disc Clutch and Flywheel
• LPE Clutch Return Spring Kit
• MTI Short Throw Shifter
• LPE Leather Shift Knob
• LPE 9.5” Differential, 373 Ratio with no preload TracRite® GT – Helical Gear Limited Slip
• Driveshaft Shop HD 1400HP Axle Shafts
• LPE HD 2 Piece Driveshaft
• LPE Twin Fuel Pump Module with Electronic Control
• LPE Power Steering Cooler
• Be Cool Radiator
• American Racing Headers
• Custom Side Exit Exhaust with Magnaflow Mufflers
• LPE / Pedders SportsRyder Supercar Coil-over Suspension System, Sway Bars, Complete Bushing Package
• Brembo Brake System. Front 15” 2 Piece Rotor with 6 Piston Caliper, Rear 14” 2 Piece Rotor with 4 Piston caliper
• Forgeline Wheels, 20”X10.5”
• Michelin Tires, 305/35ZR20
• Lingenfelter Signature Body Kit, including front splitter, side skirts, rear diffuser, and rear spoiler
• Specter Werkes Extractor Hood
• Lingenfelter L/28 Graphics
• RPM Six Point Roll Bar
• Corbeau TRS Leather Seats and 5 Point Belts
• Lingenfelter CNC Pedal Pads

How good is the L/28. We'll all know very soon.

Optima Announces Second Half of The Ultimate Street Car Invitational Competitors

Optima’s Ultimate Street Car Invitational pits all types of Pro-Touring cars, trucks, and hot rods against each other in autocross, road rally, braking, and hot lap competitions. This is the event’s fourth consecutive running and as usual, it will take place in Pahrump, Nevada at the Spring Mountain Motor Ranch following the SEMA show. This year’s event will be held on November 4th and 5th. The cars entered thus far have earned their spots through various autocross events across the country, but there’s still one spot that has yet to be filled. A team of judges will select one addition entrant from the vehicles on display at this year’s SEMA show at the Las Vegas Convention Center. The latest class of entrants are:

· Jason Childress, ‘69 Ford Mustang

· Mike Copeland, ‘11 L/28

· Matt Farah, ‘98 C5 Chevy Corvette

· Rob Ferreti, ‘01 Chevy Corvette

· Mitch Greenblatt, ‘08 Mercedes CLK63

· Andrew Herold, ‘72 Chevy Camaro

· Scott Hoag, ‘11 Ford Mustang

· Randy Johnson, ‘69 AMX

· Albert Melchior, ’70 Pontiac Formula

· Allan Miller, ‘10 Chevy Camaro

· Carlos Monterrubio, ‘73 Nissan 240Z

· Terry Neuville, ‘68 Chevy Camaro