Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #29
Jim Burke

Drives: 45th 2SS Coupe
Here's my guess as to what the Z28 will be

new alpha platform - lightweight, nimble, highly configurable
small displacement, high revving Gen V LS V8 - should make at least 475hp N/A
better drivetrain than SS (closer to whats in the 1LE)

I'm also guessing that it will debut at the Detroit Auto Show as the 6th generation Camaro in 2015/6
Jim Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 01:50 PM   #30
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burke View Post
Gen V LS V8
No such thing as a Gen V LS.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM   #31
Jim Burke

Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
No such thing as a Gen V LS.
Not yet...

But the next generation Camaro will have one. As will the next generation GM Fullsize trucks. Which are due out in a year or so
Old 08-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #32
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody

Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
What I meant was the Gen V is not an "LS" motor. They're resurrecting the "LT" designation.

"Gone But Not Forgotten"
2016 Camaro 1LT A8 - "Elmo"
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb"
2012 Camaro 1LS M6 - "Clifford"

Michigan FBody Association
http://www.mifbody.com/
meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #33
Jim Burke

Hmm, it seems you may be right. But whats in a name, or is that the point of this thread

Either way it will be a Gen V GM Small Block Engine. With direct injection and a really high redline (hopefully)
Old 08-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #34
joeybsyc

Drives: 2010 Aqua Blue Metallic 2SS
They should have called the 1LE a Z28, Scrap the goofy black hood and put hood and deck stripes on it with a silver grille and Z/28 badges. I always kinda thought the 5th gen SS shouldn't have ever been offered with Z/28 hood and deck stripes. While I have them on my car, they aren't really SS stripes, SS's should get the hockey sticks on the fenders/doors.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #35
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
It was attached to the legendary racing team of Roger Penske and Mark Donohue. It was a high-profile winner. Chevy specifically built it to compete in the Can-Am; it wasn't a regular street car that somebody took and started racing with it. They built the street legal versions so they could claim it was a production model and thus be qualified to run in the Can-Am.

It was a very special model for a very special purpose; one that brought Chevy racing prestige and glory; it put the bow tie in the winner's circle in a very tough and competitive series. When you saw a Camaro on the street with Z/28 on the side it had instant respect... so much so in fact that adding a "Z" to a name became fashionable to try and grab some of that glory and respect.

If you aren't old enough to remember or know, then you probably wouldn't understand. Just take it from those of us who are old enough; it's a big deal.
Not trying to stir the pot lol, but if I was cruising around back in the day in a ls6 chevelle and lined up next a 69 z28 I wouldn't be showing it or giving it any respect hahaha. Maybe a SS 396.

Hahaha kidding aside but yeah the Z28 was a monster in the can am, but I don't see a place for another v8 model in the current line up. If its even better on a road course and faster than the ZL1 Chevys ultimate camaro is out of place then.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #36
STW

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
LS7 OPTION
STW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #37
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVEN-OH JOE View Post
Oh WOW, where do I begin. The above link to a special Z28 thread is good reading. Yes I know it's long, but if you'd like to know it should give many of you a better understanding of what a Z28 was and should again be. It will tell you why GM was so obliged to call the ZL1 a ZL1 and not call it a Z28. Also why the 1LE is named a 1LE not a Z28. Enjoy!

Oh and the racing series was Trans Am (SCCA) not Can Am. They were 2 very very different series. Google it!
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #38
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Obviously this thread was moved to this forum from somewhere else on this site. Let's get a couple of facts straight, the Z/28 was not originally made to compete with the Boss 302 in the Can-Am series, the series was the SCCA TranAm Sedan Series and the Z/28 was produced over two years before the Boss 302 ever existed. Almost everyone that posted in this thread would do well to read some of the threads/info that has already been posted in this forum over the last three years or so, I'll not try to repeat all of that in this brief reply, I will just say we have considered many things and discussed what is possible and what is not really workable. I do appreciate everyone's interest (or non interest for some) in a Z/28, time will tell if it is produced for the fifth. gen Camaro, sixth gen Camaro, or never.
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #39
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Yes Clyde, I agree this thread came from outside the Z28 thread universe. However I do enjoy the new (positive only) recruits.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #40
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
They're not going to put a V6 of any kind in a car with the name Z/28 on it; these guys are car enthusiasts, not corporate suits from accounting. They know what the Z/28 was and they know what it needs to be.

The Z/28 was never about horsepower; it wasn't a drag racer. It was a Can-Am challenger to take on the Boss 302 on the great road courses of the day. The 1LE option on an SS gives you a clue of the direction they're going to go in with the next Z/28. They're learning on the models they've already released. The ZL1 is a suspension wonder-car; it shows what can be done with handling using that magnetic suspension technology, but it's too heavy to be a Z/28 which is probably why they didn't give it that name. The 1LE shows how they're looking at the drivetrain; not just the suspension. They're learning; studying; developing; experimenting. You can see it with these special releases. Look at what the COPO Camaro can do right out of the box.

The car they actually feel is worth being called a Z/28 is going to be a game changer. Can't wait to see what they come up with.

Thanks Doc,

Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #41
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
I noticed a lot of people are wishing for the return of the Z28. The ZL1 has 500+ HP and theirs the Panther option that's 600+ HP,what would the Z28 have? How different will it look? How much? Just wondering what you all would think a modern Z28 would be like?
....pardon me but what's a Panther option?
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick rick View Post
LS7 Z28
..the basis of our powerplant argument....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11 Camaro IBM View Post
ls9 z28 with pdk tranny haha
...no, because a LS9 is a S/C engine, the Z/28 should be N/A....
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdari View Post
shave 300 pounds from the SS and give it ZL1 suspension = Z28 for roadracing.
...this is a dead horse argument about shaving weight in any meaningful form from the factory in the Gen 5 Camaro, we have gone over and over this, it can not be done in any significant amount.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Burke View Post
Here's my guess as to what the Z28 will be

new alpha platform - lightweight, nimble, highly configurable
small displacement, high revving Gen V LS V8 - should make at least 475hp N/A
better drivetrain than SS (closer to whats in the 1LE)

I'm also guessing that it will debut at the Detroit Auto Show as the 6th generation Camaro in 2015/6
...my read is the Z/28 will come in a Gen 6...the current line will stand throughout MY '14 with the ZL1, SS, and 1 LE option without any real, substantive changes to any platform until that time when we get the new chasis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STW View Post
LS7 OPTION
...yes, the mainstay long standing premise of the Z/28 argument has been in place that was put forth a long time ago. Let's use it up before it goes bye bye.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Obviously this thread was moved to this forum from somewhere else on this site. Let's get a couple of facts straight, the Z/28 was not originally made to compete with the Boss 302 in the Can-Am series, the series was the SCCA TranAm Sedan Series and the Z/28 was produced over two years before the Boss 302 ever existed. Almost everyone that posted in this thread would do well to read some of the threads/info that has already been posted in this forum over the last three years or so, I'll not try to repeat all of that in this brief reply, I will just say we have considered many things and discussed what is possible and what is not really workable. I do appreciate everyone's interest (or non interest for some) in a Z/28, time will tell if it is produced for the fifth. gen Camaro, sixth gen Camaro, or never.
Quoted as...
Old 08-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #42
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

To make it simple;

ZR1 = ZL1
Z06 = Z28
GS = 1LE