Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM   #15
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Thanks for the comments guys!

Right now, Florida, Texas, and California seem to running into the biggest problem with "additional dealer mark up".

But this has been the trend with vettes as well, so no surprise to me. But this is a 80-100K a year car, so I see no reason why someone should pay it. Sure, I can't and won't have enough cars for everyone, but we'll help who we can. Point is - shop around before paying any added mark up....you WILL find a deal.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:57 AM   #16
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post

Right now, Florida, Texas, and California seem to running into the biggest problem with "additional dealer mark up".

But this has been the trend with vettes as well, so no surprise to me. But this is a 80-100K a year car, so I see no reason why someone should pay it. Sure, I can't and won't have enough cars for everyone, but we'll help who we can. Point is - shop around before paying any added mark up....you WILL find a deal.
My buddy went through this with his 08' Z06. He'd been looking since 07' and most dealers in Middle TN were marking them up 10K - 15K. He went to GA and got one for $68K OTD. Those suckers that paid $88K - $93K felt REAL stupid when he brought it home.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 01:25 PM   #17
Nexus6
More human than human

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
if i wasnt gonna wait till Dcember of 09 so i can get HUD i would totally fly up to WI to get mine from you scotty.Heck depending on how it is at that time i may do it anyway.depends on the weather though.i have vowed to never let any rain or snow fall on my camaro.
Nexus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:07 PM   #18
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
I've pretty much got three car firms I have my eye on that seem to be pretty reasonable. Not buying from my local GM dealer even if they get the Camaro simply because they are idiots and their service division doesn't deserve the name.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #19
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
That dealer sounds a little sketchy. I understand the desire to get to the front of the list, but you're asking to pay more by putting down a deposit this early. Allow me to explain.

First, you go to the dealer committing to a car you haven't test driven. This shows the dealer that you will get this car no matter what obstacles are in your way. Thus, you put the ball in the dealer's court.

Second, by offering to pay for a spot before knowing the price, you suggest that you don't care what the price is. The dealer can ask for a deposit without guaranteeing that you will pay MSRP or less. You could be paying MSRP plus your deposit for all you know.

Third, by discussing other deposits with you, the dealer is gauging your interest. You don't know their deposits, and I bet that you will want to be on that list to guarantee a spot. You will be willing to give them more money to get your spot. They may even offer to place you higher if you give them more dough. The dealer may raise the deposit to commit you to the sale. This brings in a solid commission for the salesperson and gives the salesperson the opportunity to lower customer service standards with you. You're committed to the car, not the dealer, and the dealer knows this. Because they know this, you may pay more, get treated worse, and not get the same deal as someone who cares more about which dealer sells them the car.

I would definitely get something about price written and signed by the dealer. If you can't get a written guarantee of MSRP, then I would talk to another dealer.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:38 PM   #20
gagliano7

Drives: gm
If we all stick together and not pay over sticker they will have no choice but the problem is someone will cross the line and then this will be the trend.I work in a union and the biggest problem is we don't stick together and a few people have side deals and this screws up everything for everyone and the boss loves it because we don't stick together.They play mind games and they feed on the weak to help themselves.
gagliano7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:52 PM   #21
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroScotty View Post

Yea Florida has been hit pretty hard with it...sadly I wanted oh so badly to drive away in a chevy truck a few years back...long story short...I was a college student and had to go with Ford.

I am sorry....but 20k for a 4banger colorado is bull s---. I think if we are patient and wait it out some prices will come down. For those of you who NEED the camaro the first month its available...well, your gonna have to do some hunting or talk to scotty.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:10 AM   #22
hollyt

Drives: 2003 corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
That dealer sounds a little sketchy. I understand the desire to get to the front of the list, but you're asking to pay more by putting down a deposit this early. Allow me to explain.

First, you go to the dealer committing to a car you haven't test driven. This shows the dealer that you will get this car no matter what obstacles are in your way. Thus, you put the ball in the dealer's court.

Second, by offering to pay for a spot before knowing the price, you suggest that you don't care what the price is. The dealer can ask for a deposit without guaranteeing that you will pay MSRP or less. You could be paying MSRP plus your deposit for all you know.

Third, by discussing other deposits with you, the dealer is gauging your interest. You don't know their deposits, and I bet that you will want to be on that list to guarantee a spot. You will be willing to give them more money to get your spot. They may even offer to place you higher if you give them more dough. The dealer may raise the deposit to commit you to the sale. This brings in a solid commission for the salesperson and gives the salesperson the opportunity to lower customer service standards with you. You're committed to the car, not the dealer, and the dealer knows this. Because they know this, you may pay more, get treated worse, and not get the same deal as someone who cares more about which dealer sells them the car.

I would definitely get something about price written and signed by the dealer. If you can't get a written guarantee of MSRP, then I would talk to another dealer.
When I purchased my 50th Anniversary Corvette they did the same thing. A lot of dealers where getting $5,000 to $10,000 over MSRP. I ordered mine from a dealer before the pricing was out for the car. What I did was place the order for the vette and put down $1,000 but on the order we agreed that I would not pay more than MSRP and that if the Anniversary edition cost more than $5,000 over the regular vette price I could get my deposit back with no penalty.

There are honest dealers out there but you have to look for them.
hollyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 08:51 AM   #23
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
I would expect we get the pricing and build info in December. Orders go in January, build starts February...No dealer can do it any different.

We are all created equal......until others decide to mark it up - then we're different!
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:06 AM   #24
RickyTheStorm

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS,04 Colorado,06 ZX6R
Find a dealer that will write in the contract no more than MSRP including deposit and only requires $500 for a deposit. My dealer did that for me - it is just finding the right dealer. I'd never give up the camaro just because one or two dealerships try to rip me off. I would continue to look for one that will write in contract what I want. That's what I love about my dealer, customer for life. I have been going there since I started driving, my parents have been going there for 19 years - they never have done us wrong. Heck, they are honest too - my colorado got hit by one of their staff trying to park another car, so it had to get repainted - they cut off $2000, fine by me! It's just finding the right dealer, for example Scotty's, and there are others out there just like that. Dealer for life, not one time!
RickyTheStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #25
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Watch out for their MSRP + admin fees crap too.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:25 AM   #26
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
ALL HAIL SCOTTY

AUGUST 2009 AURORA HITSS THE SSTREETSS!!!!!

~MY SSCHEME: BLACK W/GOLD BUMPER 2 BUMPER Z-28 SSTRIPESS.~
^In the wise words of Pink, "NO NOT MUSTANG GOLD"

Forget a automatic, a MUSCLE car needs STICK! To bad I'm getting auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lonely Island
IM RIDIN ON A DOLPHIN DOIN FLIPS N' SHIT!!!!

May The Beast Rest In Peace. For Now.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote