Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Great Lakes

Old 11-04-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Neozyne

Drives: Cyber Gray SS
SS in Snow?

Anyone bare their beauty in the MW winters yet? Im stuck in a bind between selling my car to get somthing more practical for every day use. My CGM is my daily driver in which I was planning on making my weekend warrior but due to costs & expenses that keep popping up that isnt realistic right now.

If I can make it through a MI winter with some blizzacks on I might stick it out but I dont know if I can put my car through that torture :|
Neozyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #2
philthy

Drives: 1971 Monte Carlo/2010 Camaro 2LT
The SS has summer tires only, so winter tires are mandatory. I drive my 2LT with Blizzacks all winter. I tried the factory 19" "all-season" tires the first year and they were pretty much useless.

I got my winter tire and wheel setup through Tirerack.com. Rudy is a member here and will hook you up.

The Blizzacks are awesome...the Stabilitrack on the Camaro is great in the snow!
1971 Monte Carlo
philthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:23 PM   #3
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
I parked next to a Silver SS at the Henry Center earlier this year.

Dhgasman daily drives his Aqua Blue 2SS.

Both this silver and Dhgasman have the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and snow tires.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
I parked next to a Silver SS at the Henry Center earlier this year.

Dhgasman daily drives his Aqua Blue 2SS.

Both this silver and Dhgasman have the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and snow tires.
I think that is my car actually. Looks like my license plate frame and I run Pirellil Scorpion Ice & Snows. Were you there for the emergency financial manager training? My wife would have been the one driving that day; I need to give her props for parking so far away from the other cars!

I run the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow's through the winter and they are great. When the weather got bad last year my wife actually preferred to drive my Camaro (on snow tires) instead of her Camry (on all seasons that admittedly were close to needing replaced). But I would say the Camaro on snows is better than any FWD on all seasons.
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
You'll be fine. Just get snow tires.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Here's a fantastic How-To guide for driving your camaro in the winter... Tells you what you need and what to do!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177225
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #7
Neozyne

Drives: Cyber Gray SS
Thanks for the help everyone! I actually drove my car a few times in a heavy snow fall last winter one the stock tires... talk about scary. I got stuck a few times pretty badly too =/

Hopefully I can get another car but the tires might be a cheaper and possibley better alternative.
Neozyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:01 PM   #8
DandD

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2011 LS
Neozyne, if you go the tire route, call around to the different Discount tire stores. Each store manager gets a set of winter tires to use on their car for one season then they sell them. We were lucky enough to get a set from our local Discount Tire when we were buying wheels for my wife's LS. The store manager there got a set of Yokohama W drives for his BMW for last winter and they sold them to us for a hell of a good price they worked out well on her 18" stock wheels, you may be able to find a set of 20" for your car. Might be worth looking into.

Dan
Old 11-11-2011, 07:39 PM   #9
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent WD-40 View Post
I think that is my car actually. Looks like my license plate frame and I run Pirellil Scorpion Ice & Snows. Were you there for the emergency financial manager training? My wife would have been the one driving that day; I need to give her props for parking so far away from the other cars!

I run the Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow's through the winter and they are great. When the weather got bad last year my wife actually preferred to drive my Camaro (on snow tires) instead of her Camry (on all seasons that admittedly were close to needing replaced). But I would say the Camaro on snows is better than any FWD on all seasons.
That's pretty cool if it is! The date was 2-9-2011. I go out there every Wednesday afternoon to check on computer stuff.

I do remember the car in that it had the 245/45/R20 on all 4 corners of the car, and I think the car had different backup lights.

I didn't check to see if it was a 2SS, or M6 or A6, but I remembered something different about the backup lights.

Funny your other car is a Camry. Mine is a 2000 Camry and I am going to get some real winter tires this season for my wife.

If it was your car it was indeed safe there, no one else next to it until I showed up. I figure let the Camaro's protect one another.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by skuttduck View Post
That's pretty cool if it is! The date was 2-9-2011. I go out there every Wednesday afternoon to check on computer stuff.

I do remember the car in that it had the 245/45/R20 on all 4 corners of the car, and I think the car had different backup lights.

I didn't check to see if it was a 2SS, or M6 or A6, but I remembered something different about the backup lights.

Funny your other car is a Camry. Mine is a 2000 Camry and I am going to get some real winter tires this season for my wife.

If it was your car it was indeed safe there, no one else next to it until I showed up. I figure let the Camaro's protect one another.
That is definitely mine. I have 245/45/R20's on all 4 corners (on the 8" rims in front and 9" rims in back). This winter I got an extra set of front rims that will allow me to run an 8" rim on all 4 corners so I can rotate the tires each season.

The backup lights are the AAC LED Reverse lights. They are awesome! Definitely a huge upgrade over stock. I posted my thoughts and some pictures here if you are interested.

Let me know what you think of running dedicated winter tires on the Camry. I have considered it for ours but figured it wasn't worth the trouble given the fact it is FWD and has all season tires already.

Speaking of being protected by Camaro's when parking I couldn't pass this opportunity up (there is even one parked behind mine).
Attached Images

Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust

Last edited by Agent WD-40; 11-13-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 03:01 AM   #11
CAPT D

Drives: 1SS Black w/ White Strips M6
Thats a cool pic. Just get snow tires and you'll be fine. Dont drive with the summers on it suck I know.
CAPT D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:09 AM   #12
Intimidator333

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Inferno Orange.
I drove my Charger R/T in the snow all last winter on almost bald rear tires. It did ok except for 1 day when we had alot of slushy snow. I put 5 bags of cat litter in the trunk and that did the trick. I got stuck on ice a few times and used the litter under the tires to get free.
Intimidator333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:25 AM   #13
SteveRS

Drives: 2010 SIM Cobalt SS
Send a message via AIM to SteveRS
I must ask my SS brothers... how good is your traction in the snow providing you swapped out for snow tires?
Old 11-19-2011, 06:09 AM   #14
CAPT D

Drives: 1SS Black w/ White Strips M6
^ I wish I could tell you was going to get snow tires on mine but I think im just going to buy a winter beater when I get back home. I also see your stationed in Korea, what camp are you at I was stationed at Casey a few years ago.
CAPT D is offline   Reply With Quote